Akok or Whaley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok or Whaley

Reaction Score
I always expect that a guy who's out with a leg injury for a long time will come back a better shooter because that's one thing he can practice even when he can't run. Especially free throw shooting.

It doesn't usually happen but I expect it anyway.
It happened with Durant.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I think Whaley starts. Ultimately Akok, Sanogo, and Whaley will see equal minute splits, if Akok is healthy, by the end of the seasons. I see this year's team as being very matchup based and the minutes may vary from game to game. Good problem to have. Let the guys earn their minutes.

Reaction Score
I hope this is happens for Akok but there's very little actual evidence this will be the case, in both the shooting and putting the ball on the floor to dribble. If he's doing what you describe on offense, with his defense and length, then he's a lock for a top 5 pick and one of the best players in college basketball. I think he'll be very good by the end of the year but I think the expectations have to be reigned in a bit
For reference, the full list of players 6'9+ with a 7+% block rate (Akok was at 9.8% so he's already top of the group here) and to shoot 30+% from 3. Those numbers would put him in rare company, ironically in the company of Whaley

Screenshot_2021-09-16_171808.jpg

Reaction Score
Speaking of, guess who ? .... with about the same amount of games, PT and starts:

View attachment 69790

Top is Akok as a freshman bottom is Whaley last year.

Akok is the biggest mystery on the team. He could be twice as good of a player or even worse since the injury. No one knows. It's probably hard for the coaches to even know. So much of this is mental

Reaction Score
I really think that Sanogo will be our 5 this year, Hurley seems to like guys at the 5 who are more traditional in a sense, hence recruiting and getting Clingan and Sanogo. But who has a better year this year, Akok or Whaley? I think they both start at points and Akok has a higher ceiling but Whaley is coming off a DPOY appearance. BTW I'm not Colin Gillespie
But are you related to Kenny G

Reaction Score
I think Akok will get plenty of minutes at the 5 this year.

Reaction Score
I think guys are making a lot more of that Xavier game than they should. Sure, he was more aggressive, but Akok was abysmal as a freshman on offense. 41% from the floor, 26% from 3 is really, really bad. I mean he doesn't have much offensive skill at all. If that has changed, watch out, but I don't think you can make that assumption yet.
What I don't understand is you make that statement about Akok "he doesn't have much offensive skill at all", then we have Whaley who is fluid on offense? Akok in my opinion is the stronger 2 way player between them in limited play. Yes, his injury is going to be a mystery in the beginning of the season. Really love Whaley and how he has exceeded my expectations year in and year out and he is now a major key player on this team. I have been saying that I like Whaley coming off the bench but he will get plenty of minutes. Then we have Springs and Johnson to insert with those two along with Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I hope this is happens for Akok but there's very little actual evidence this will be the case, in both the shooting and putting the ball on the floor to dribble. If he's doing what you describe on offense, with his defense and length, then he's a lock for a top 5 pick and one of the best players in college basketball. I think he'll be very good by the end of the year but I think the expectations have to be reigned in a bit
He has no chance of being a top 5 pick. He's 22 coming off a ruptured ACL. How did you get that I think he'll be one of the best players in college basketball and a top 5 pick from what I said?

I was asked why I think Akok is the better offensive player than Whaley. I'm basing this off of him looking more fluid than Whaley in the limited chances he's had here. I said I think he'll hit the three enough from the wing where it will open up the drive for him. We've seen it in small flashes but we've barely seen him play at UConn because of injury. I didn't say he'll be a 40%+ three point shooter or he'll be one of the best three and D prospects or anything like that.

Reaction Score
The thing about a prediction like this, it either means Akok or Whaley or Sanogo has disappointed.

Or we have the best frontcourt in CBB.

It's quite a claim either way.
We do have one of the best frontcourts in the country and we are going up against one of the best frontcourts in Auburn at the Battle.

Reaction Score
The thing about a prediction like this, it either means Akok or Whaley or Sanogo has disappointed.

Or we have the best frontcourt in CBB.

It's quite a claim either way.
Samson and Springs are going up against these guys in practice every day.. Have to be improving to get PT.

May be a UConn guy but I know talent when I see it. We have a talented front court..

Case closed.

BTW..I do not expect Sanogo/Whaley/AA to disappoint.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is you make that statement about Akok "he doesn't have much offensive skill at all", then we have Whaley who is fluid on offense? Akok in my opinion is the stronger 2 way player between them in limited play. Yes, his injury is going to be a mystery in the beginning of the season. Really love Whaley and how he has exceeded my expectations year in and year out and he is now a major key player on this team. I have been saying that I like Whaley coming off the bench but he will get plenty of minutes. Then we have Springs and Johnson to insert with those two along with Sanogo.
Whaley's 2020 and 2021 seasons offensively were both better than Akok's season in 2020, and by a significant amount

Reaction Score
Whaley's 2020 and 2021 seasons offensively were both better than Akok's season in 2020, and by a significant amount
That's because Whaley played more minutes and most of his offense are put backs or dunks. I did say (Akok in my opinion is the stronger 2 way player between them in limited play). Skill wise I'm sticking with Akok and that's not to undermine Whaley at all. We will see as long as Akok stays healthy we are a better team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Akok is the biggest mystery on the team. He could be twice as good of a player or even worse since the injury. No one knows. It's probably hard for the coaches to even know. So much of this is mental
Agreed, we're going to be a very good team no matter what but Akok and Jackson could take us from very good to a great team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It will all depend on match-ups and what Akok looks like vs game talent, not just practice
It's going to be hard for DH to sit Whalley - it has been for better part of 2 seasons and coming off the season he had it speaks for itself
I think Akok better get adjusted to the 5 because I still see Sanogo having a hard time staying out of foul trouble
However, it's a really nice problem to have the 3 of them

Reaction Score

Exactly... all things be equal, before Akok's injury, Whaley put up better numbers as a starter(last year) than Akok did when got the same PT and starting minutes as a FR as you pointed out. And Whaley was a much better perimeter defender who could handle alot of these teams that play small ball when he needed to match up with their 1 in 4 out. Only thing Whaley regressed on this past season was FT % , which was 73% the last year of the AAC, when he almost took twice as many FT's (60).

But a 3 man minutes rotation (mentioned in a post above) of a pair of Whaley, Sanogo and Akok at the 4-5 in DH's bigger line-ups should be a strength of this team. With a solid Akok comeback the key.

Reaction Score
He has no chance of being a top 5 pick. He's 22 coming off a ruptured ACL. How did you get that I think he'll be one of the best players in college basketball and a top 5 pick from what I said?

I was asked why I think Akok is the better offensive player than Whaley. I'm basing this off of him looking more fluid than Whaley in the limited chances he's had here. I said I think he'll hit the three enough from the wing where it will open up the drive for him. We've seen it in small flashes but we've barely seen him play at UConn because of injury. I didn't say he'll be a 40%+ three point shooter or he'll be one of the best three and D prospects or anything like that.
I'm saying the player you described him being in your post would be a top 5 pick, I agree there's no chance it happens. A player at his size with his defensive ability who can even shoot 30% from 3 is incredibly rare. I think that's semi realistic though mid 20s seems more realistic. The part I especially disagree with is this driving ability, unless something has drastically changed during his rehab that's not something I can remotely see him doing. He's going to be a very good player, I just think expectations for him have gotten wildly out of control

Reaction Score
Pork Chop.... This will be the best season of his time at UConn....

Also, Akok will get stronger as the season matures and will rival Whaley late in the season (assuming that they both stay healthy)

Reaction Score
I'm saying the player you described him being in your post would be a top 5 pick, I agree there's no chance it happens. A player at his size with his defensive ability who can even shoot 30% from 3 is incredibly rare. I think that's semi realistic though mid 20s seems more realistic. The part I especially disagree with is this driving ability, unless something has drastically changed during his rehab that's not something I can remotely see him doing. He's going to be a very good player, I just think expectations for him have gotten wildly out of control
A 22 year old coming off a ruptured Achilles who is more fluid than Whaley on offense and who can shoot the three well enough on the wing to pump fake and get to the rim is a top 5 pick? I'm not following you at all on this.

As for Akok keeping the defense honest enough from the wing where he pump fakes and gets to the rim we saw Akok do it in the Xavier game this past season before Hurley shut him down and we saw him do it his freshman year before injury...

The list you posted with guys with his block rate who shoot it over 30% from three has one top 5 pick on it Mobley who was a top 5 pick if he left from high school, Whaley, and a bunch of other guys guys nobody has heard of and will go undrafted. You seem to be the only one who may have wildly out of control expectations with this top 5 pick stuff. Nothing I said makes him even close to a top 5 pick.

Reaction Score
A 22 year old coming off a ruptured Achilles who is more fluid than Whaley on offense and who can shoot the three well enough on the wing to pump fake and get to the rim is a top 5 pick? I'm not following you at all on this.

As for Akok keeping the defense honest enough from the wing where he pump fakes and gets to the rim we saw Akok do it in the Xavier game this past season before Hurley shut him down and we saw him do it his freshman year before injury...

The list you posted with guys with his block rate who shoot it over 30% from three has one top 5 pick on it Mobley who was a top 5 pick if he left from high school, Whaley, and a bunch of other guys guys nobody has heard of and will go undrafted. You seem to be the only one who may have wildly out of control expectations with this top 5 pick stuff. Nothing I said makes him even close to a top 5 pick.
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what your expectations are for him then, if you mean the occasional drive like against Xavier then I agree he can do that. All I'm saying is I don't expect that to be a regular part of his game where we should be putting the ball in his hands and saying get to the rim

I'm also not sure if you keep intentionally misstating my top 5 pick point purposely or I'm not explaining it well. I'm saying he's NOT going to be a top 5 pick. You're right that the chart I posted doesn't have any top 5 picks outside of Mobley, because a player being able to do all those things and also be able to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim is incredibly rare.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what your expectations are for him then, if you mean the occasional drive like against Xavier then I agree he can do that. All I'm saying is I don't expect that to be a regular part of his game where we should be putting the ball in his hands and saying get to the rim

I'm also not sure if you keep intentionally misstating my top 5 pick point purposely or I'm not explaining it well. I'm saying he's NOT going to be a top 5 pick. You're right that the chart I posted doesn't have any top 5 picks outside of Mobley, because a player being able to do all those things and also be able to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim is incredibly rare.
You're thinking stuff that I never said. All I said is I think he's more fluid than Whaley offensively and I expect him to keep the defense honest enough from the wing with the three where he can pump fake and get to the rim. I don't think Whaley can do that, don't think I've ever seen Whaley do that. I have seen Akok do that several times.

You said what I described is a lock top 5 pick. I don't think what I described is anything close to a lock top 5 pick. Not looking to argue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom