Akok: Does anyone have any true insight into why he was so buried on the bench recently? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok: Does anyone have any true insight into why he was so buried on the bench recently?

Reaction Score
His injury was a 12 months out of action but 18 months to real recovery.....so he couldn't really offer anything but flashes this year.

Let's hope he's back to 100% come November.

Reaction Score
Do you know that putting "88" after your username is going to get you flagged as a neo-Nazi? Something to consider. Honestly... not trying to be a snarky here like I am 99% of the time of the 'yard.
Really?!?!?

Reaction Score
Ask a clown question get a clown answer. Did you seriously forget he ruptured his Achilles last year? It's a multi year recovery. Expecting him to play this year was always folly.
I am done with assholes like you on this board. 90% of the people on this board thought he would make an impact this year at some point. I hate smug know it alls. You Probably took your mother to the prom.

Reaction Score
Really?!?!?

Yeah. 88

Definitely not accusing you of that... mayy
be just an fyi for future username decisions, lol.

I belong to a group online that doxxes nazis so I always notice their little secret signs. It's nbd for you though obviously

Reaction Score
But he looked so good in limited minutes against Xavier, hence the original poster's valid question. He looked very healthy and effective in that game.
A few days later Hurley mentioned that Akok had told him he wasn't feeling so good before the next game. Maybe the adrenaline kicked in that day vs Xavier and when faced with everyday grind it wasn't feasible.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with anyone asking what’s up with Akok. He has been fully participating in practices since the late fall and is one of our most talented players.

it is obvious that Hurley doesn’t trust him after the injury and that akok’s mobility, especially on defense, looked pretty bad. Announcing he was good to go and then completely backing away from that was a little strange.

Reaction Score
A few days later Hurley mentioned that Akok had told him he wasn't feeling so good before the next game. Maybe the adrenaline kicked in that day vs Xavier and when faced with everyday grind it wasn't feasible.
Go watch the highlights from the Xavier game, Akok looked great, actually much better on offense than he ever looked prior to the injury. And he looked very mobile as well. Perhaps he overdid it, but he certainly looked like a guy who could contribute this season.

Reaction Score
Go watch the highlights from the Xavier game, Akok looked great, actually much better on offense than he ever looked prior to the injury. And he looked very mobile as well. Perhaps he overdid it, but he certainly looked like a guy who could contribute this season.

Everyone remembers the Xavier game. But he's also looked very bad in every other appearance. And Hurley has talked about this many times

Reaction Score
At this point it’s water under the bridge. Let’s hope is ready for a productive summer and comes back 100% next year.

Reaction Score
Maybe just a protection thing for next year. Akok at full strength could be big for us.

Reaction Score
The last time we saw a healthy akok he was shooting 26% from 3...he wouldn’t have helped our putrid shooting this year which was our Achilles heel and ultimate downfall. Can we expect him to increase his shooting average by 10-15% next year?? I’m not counting on it

We need a legit stretch 4 starting in between aj and sanogo in the front court. A guy in Giffeys mold I don’t care is he can’t block shots. Cole and Hawkins aren’t nearly enough firepower, we need at least 3 shooters in the lineup that can approach 40% from 3.

But a lineup of Cole/hawk/aj/akok/sanogo is not solving our problems
I wouldn't write someone off from being a good shooter because of freshmen year.

Bazz shot 32% and then was a 40% shooter his junior and senior years.
DeAndre Daniels was 24% as a freshmen and then 41% as a junior.
Giffey shot 32% as a freshmen and then 39% as a junior before his senior year.

I could go on and on. Sometimes it just takes a good shooter time to adjust to a new speed. Kid has a nice stroke so I wouldn't be surprised—if he's healthy—that his shooting would no longer be trash.

Reaction Score
So he played a few good minutes vs Xavier, had a negative reaction, tells Hurley his leg is not feeling good, plays little to no minutes the remainder of the season. Akok also only played one minute in the second half of the Xavier game.

Reaction Score
I could go on and on. Sometimes it just takes a good shooter time to adjust to a new speed. Kid has a nice stroke so I wouldn't be surprised—if he's healthy—that his shooting would no longer be trash.
those are all fine examples and i'm hopeful for gradual improvement from akok as well, but you are comparing freshman stats to junior and senior stats whereas next season will only be akok's second year of actually playing. i consider him to be a rising redshirt sophomore so i think it's only fair to expect one year's worth of improvement over his freshman year

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I still think there’s a lot more to it than we know. It just doesn’t make sense why he was starting to build up his stamina in the middle of conference play, had a huge role in our Xavier comeback win, and then poof. Never played again.

Attaching a picture from yesterday. Seems like a player that is detached.

Shouldn't he have been closer to the team, whether he was playing or not?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Basically he was never fully recovered from the Achilles and they didn't want to rush him back. Should be at 100% for next season

Not surprising. Everyone thinking he’d be back to normal when he hurt it at the end of last year were being too optimistic.

This is basically the worst injury for basketball players. Like a labrum injury for a pitcher in baseball

Reaction Score
It usually takes a full year of imagery training after a torn Achilles Durant missed a full season.

Reaction Score
I still think there’s a lot more to it than we know. It just doesn’t make sense why he was starting to build up his stamina in the middle of conference play, had a huge role in our Xavier comeback win, and then poof. Never played again.

Attaching a picture from yesterday. Seems like a player that is detached.
It should be obvious to anyone paying attention in the past several weeks that he has been completely detached, he sits alone, looks disinterested, looks depressed. He certainly doesn’t look like he feels like he’s a part of this team. This is so unlike him. Something isn’t right. That’s my straight, unfiltered observation. Something’s definitely not right.

Reaction Score
It should be obvious to anyone paying attention in the past several weeks that he has been completely detached, he sits alone, looks disinterested, looks depressed. He certainly doesn’t look like he feels like he’s a part of this team. This is so unlike him. Something isn’t right. That’s my straight, unfiltered observation. Something’s definitely not right.
This is true. He looks sad.

Reaction Score
This is true. He looks sad.
Maybe he felt like he was ready, could or should be playing. Maybe a disagreement with Hurley who has the last word. As I have said, the team and coach are pretty closed mouth about this, always have been.

Reaction Score
Akok is insanely close not just with Hurley, but the Hurley family. Coach Hurley has been clear about what we could expect from Akok for about a month and a half now. We keep asking questions that have been answered. This is the same kid who many said wasn't going to commit because he looked disinterested at the game on his visit. He isn't a ra ra kid, he's always been very much to himself. He's recovering from a rough injury and wants to be able to contribute so of course he isn't happy. But he's the last kid we need to be worried about

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We’ll need him at 100% to replace the presence Whaley gave us.

Reaction Score
We’ll need him at 100% to replace the presence Whaley gave us.
He's nowhere near the physical presence Whaley was and he's not exactly built solid which makes him injury prone I fear. Tremendous skills and upside though. We'll see.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah. 88

Definitely not accusing you of that... mayy
be just an fyi for future username decisions, lol.

I belong to a group online that doxxes nazis so I always notice their little secret signs. It's nbd for you though obviously

This has to be a joke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom