Akok considering skipping NCAA, entering NBA Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Akok considering skipping NCAA, entering NBA Draft

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the post graduate year in prep school seldom makes sense to Chief, for a 4 or 5 star. Drummond figured it out in August after some guidance; and went to UConn. Bottom line, he became a top 10 pick and became an NBA All Star game player. Go to college and develop there.
At any rate, we are where we are. This has been going on for awhile and is now unfortunately public. On one level to a family and those connected to Akok the preceive NBA riches is the easy answer.
At the end of the day, I expect him at UConn. His family will be better off in the long run.
Sadly chief very few have the foresight of small goals leading to the big goals and Drummond may be the last unicorn in that regard. Too many talking heads in the face of kids with legit nba dreams that are out for self. If the kid is d league for life on to the next. Have any of these guys seen new jack city and how nino did gee money? Ain’t no loyalty out here!!!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don't know why this is so difficult for some to understand. We haven't really been sending kids to the pros in a while and now we have people worried about us getting kids who will be future pros. The better players leave earlier for the NBA and then you reaload with other great players.
Oh.

Reaction Score
You obviously have no clue about NBA basketball then. Draft is based on potential and projection, not productio.

Akok's 3 biggest assets: Length, 3 pt shooting and Rim Protection
NBAs 3 most valued assets: Length, 3 pt shooting and Rim Protection
Didn't we have recent player named Daniels? Didn't he have length, 3 point shooting, rim protection etc. How did it work out for him? This is not a skills or athletic ability decision. This is a "playing at a high level for a long time" decision. I played in Hartford in pick up games with Rick Mahorn. While that was then and this is now, Akok is not ready for the NBA, but he can be. Those guys, even then, and who are not as good as the players today played a punishing game. Most don't get more than one solid chance. If I was as good as him I'd want to be take every opportunity to maximize my chance

Reaction Score
At this point, you’re trying to be obnoxious.

He's playing prep ball in Southern PA.

Something's off here.

Coulibaly is still from Mali, and if you wanna read that far into it- mail doesn't take 5 months to reach Africa either...

But either way, I was only half joking because there is no other backup plan for akok.

Idk why there's such an aversion to 3 star recruits. Jeremiah Francis just committed to UNC today and he's a 3 star!

Would getting Wahab and Coulibaly be the dream scenario everyone hoped for? Of course not, but 3 stars are still better than none.

Reaction Score
Didn't we have recent player named Daniels? Didn't he have length, 3 point shooting, rim protection etc. How did it work out for him? This is not a skills or athletic ability decision. This is a "playing at a high level for a long time" decision. I played in Hartford in pick up games with Rick Mahorn. While that was then and this is now, Akok is not ready for the NBA, but he can be. Those guys, even then, and who are not as good as the players today played a punishing game. Most don't get more than one solid chance. If I was as good as him I'd want to be take every opportunity to maximize my chance
Deandre Daniels was a lot of things, a rim protector was not one of them

Reaction Score
I really don’t see him getting drafted. He had a good summer and shot up the rankings, and based off videos he is nowhere near an NBA level talent yet. Sure, the potential is there, but he plays no competition compared to college or G league. I still want him, Kofi, and Precious. If all three tested the waters right now, those two would be ahead of Akok.
Precious maybe. Not Kofi

Reaction Score

1. Daniels came out 4 years ago(more?), before the explosion of NBA 3&D, Pace&Space, etc really took off. Also, he was an upperclassmen, and in fact you could argue that as a top 20 high school recruit, going to college actually decreased his NBA stock because he was exposed as pretty soft, questionable motor, no handle, etc.

2. DeAndre is making more $$ every year playing basketball and traveling the world than you or I are, so I'd say it worked out pretty good for him.

3. No 18-19 year old not named LeBron James is "ready" for the NBA. This is not about that. Its about what is the path that this kid wants to travel to A) Live the life he wants to live and B)Maximize his game and his C)Maximize his earning power.

4) Yes, that was then and this is now.

5) "Want to take every opportunity to maximize my chance" - There is no real proof that going to college advances this. Arguably, it would be better and more lucrative to take the leap now. Maybe the kid wants to train 50 hours/week now to be the best player he can be, rather than take 20 hours of classes and have strict NCAA limitations on the quantity of practice that he can take.

Just demonstrating how so many of us premise our opinions of kids decisions from the assumption that going to college is "better" for them, and really we have to ask ourselves... Is that the case, really?

**With that being said, Hey Akok come to UConn please**

Reaction Score
I tend to think of kids nba dreams as being the dreams of being drafted and making $$millions. Akok could just be thinking that having some money in his pocket making $60000 to $125000 for the next couple years is a better way to build his game to chase the millions, than being broke in college. It's possible his draft status may not be what drives his decision to be a pro. Committing to UConn this fall sounds like we couldn't really celebrate until he actually shows up for classes. That's disappointing.

Reaction Score
Deandre Daniels was a lot of things, a rim protector was not one of them
What? Deandre Daniel average 1.5 and 1.4 the two years he got significant minutes. He was definitely a decent rim protector and remember him and Brimah being huge for our defense in our championship season. He got 2 big blocks in the Championship game against Kentucky. He wasn't at Brimah's level but he also wasn't 7'0" tall. He actually played good defense including blocking shots while at UCONN.

I remember Daniel's for his outside shooting and his ability to score inside couple with the blocked shots on defense. He wasn't a great rebounder but decent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coulibaly is still from Mali, and if you wanna read that far into it- mail doesn't take 5 months to reach Africa either...

But either way, I was only half joking because there is no other backup plan for akok.

Idk why there's such an aversion to 3 star recruits. Jeremiah Francis just committed to UNC today and he's a 3 star!

Would getting Wahab and Coulibaly be the dream scenario everyone hoped for? Of course not, but 3 stars are still better than none.
Not that it matters but not sure why 247 composite has Wahab as a 3*. ESPN, 247 and Rivals all have him as a 4*.

Reaction Score
Oh I don't? Good one. I said he has potential and I am well aware that the NBA drafts on that. There are 60 players that are flat out better than him. I don't like rankings, but he is a top 40 recruit by most "experts"...and what about all the college and foreign guys who are proven and have potential? He has all the intangibles but isn't ready. I still think Kofi and Precious would be drafted ahead him at this point, they have loads of potential too.

Akok would go ahead of Kofi 100% of the time. It's not even ambiguous potential, he's specifically the exact type of guy the NBA currently covets and falls in love with. 7'1"+ wingpsan that protects the rim, guards multiple positions, and shoots 3's. See Thon Maker in the lottery despite being projected as a 2nd rounder. Recruiting rankings are not NBA draft projections. Doesn't mean he even goes in the 1st if he leaves now. I think he'd be better off coming to UConn, blocking a billion shots and hitting 3's, getting on a few more people's radar.

There's honestly very little place for Kofi in the NBA currently. He's not Shaq. He's not Dwight. He's not even Bam Adebayo. He's big but doesn't protect the rim all that well, can't create for others, and doesn't have range. There are 0 of those guys getting minutes in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Akok would go ahead of Kofi 100% of the time. It's not even ambiguous potential, he's specifically the exact type of guy the NBA falls in love with. 7'1"+ wingpsan that protects the rim, guards multiple positions, and shoots 3's. See Thon Maker in the lottery despite being projected as a 2nd rounder. Recruiting rankings are not NBA draft projections. Doesn't mean he even goes in the 1st if he leaves now. I think he'd be better off coming to UConn, blocking a billion shots and hitting 3's, getting on a few more people's radar.

There's honestly very little place for Kofi in the NBA currently. He's not Shaq. He's not Dwight. He's not even Bam Adebayo. He's big but doesn't protect the rim all that well, can't create for others, and doesn't have range. There are 0 of those guys getting minutes in the NBA.
Akok is 6'9, nobody on the national scene knew who he was until recently. He's really good but all he really does at this point is block shots and catch and shoot. Thon Maker is 7'1, and has always had all the skills, he was known about by everyone since freshman year of high school and was considered the next great one getting early comparisons to Durant, Bosh, and Garnett.

Reaction Score
Akok is 6'9, nobody on the national scene knew who he was until recently. He's really good but all he really does at this point is block shots and catch and shoot. Thon Maker is 7'1, and has always had all the skills, he was known about by everyone since freshman year of high school and was considered the next great one getting early comparisons to Durant, Bosh, and Garnett.

Thon Maker didn't go in the 1st because he was known and had a mixtape. He went in the 1st because John Hammond (chief among others) is obsessed with wingspan. And mobile shooting + wingspan is the single most coveted thing in the NBA.

Jonathan Isaac didn't go in the mid lottery because he has "all the skills" either. He and Akok are essentially the same height/weight/wingspan. Isaac could defend multiple positions, protect the rim, and shoot the 3. Same with Akok. Isaac was recruited higher and was more polished, but they're both 5*s.

Akok blew up late and was in public school in NH for two years. Sure. His exposure is less than some. But he plays in the NEPSAC, was at the Top 100 camp, and showed out during AAU summer. There's a lot of his game on Synergy. Scouts know who he is. He won't go under-drafted due to that.

So if Isaac goes in the mid lottery and Akok is a B+ version of Isaac... there's definitely a chance if he impresses in workouts he could go late 1st. I don't think it is necessarily the most likely outcome if he does declare, and I think he'd be better served with a year at UConn. But it's certainly in the range of outcomes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Guys who go straight to the pros miss out on the college experience. Kobe laments that from time to time.
Akok should go to UConn for a year, improve his game and his draft position, and get the college experience.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
And Thon is in his 3rd year getting 11 minutes per game and averaging 5 ppg. Thon's size, experience and skills were better than Akok's coming our of HS. The NBA game is tough. Simi Shittu is was leaps and bounds ahead of Akok. Shittu is also doing quite well at Vandy.

Reaction Score
It’s a crap shoot. Ater Majok got drafted 58 and avg 2 and 2 here. The reason I said Kofi would is because he is a specimen. He is super strong, 280-300lb, 6’11, and is developing (his jumper isn’t bad). He also rebounds the ball better than most. There is always a need for that in the league

Reaction Score
With all this G league stuff being an option im surprised we arent hearing more kids looking for the pro option. itd be nice if he came her but if not, then next.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't know why this is so difficult for some to understand. We haven't really been sending kids to the pros in a while and now we have people worried about us getting kids who will be future pros. The better players leave earlier for the NBA and then you reaload with other great players.

Especially with 1 and done ending in the intermediate future. You want to be known as a school that puts kids in the pros.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom