Akok and mid-year acceptance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok and mid-year acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like the only way this would work with team chemistry is if he takes the Hamidou Diallo approach and sits out the spring semester but enrolls. Not saying it’s here, could go somewhere else.

I like the mojo we’ve got and I don’t wanna mess with it.
This. I think it could be frustrating for him this year. The jump from HS to college is tough enough with the summer to ease yourself in. He just needs to be aware of that.

Reaction Score
Every single crystal ball predictor still likes our chances. I know not to put too much faith into those but they obviously know more about this than most of us do. Pretty confident in our ability to move around the scholarship issue. Even if Akok comes for one year, with our other top targets for 2019, the roster seems to be built around winning now.

Reaction Score
Is paying his own way and taking Brocke's spot as a walk-on not a viable option.

Seems like the most obvious solution to me

Reaction Score
Did UK have an open scholarship for Hami or did someone move to walk-on? I don't remember out they handled adding him in between semesters

Yes UK had a scholarship available. He practiced with the team but did not play in any spring games even though he was eligible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is paying his own way and taking Brocke's spot as a walk-on not a viable option.

It seems like the only way that doesn't screw up what we have going right now

Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't know Akok at all. He may be a good dude... but based on my years of watching college bball this is someone who simply wants to get to the NBA and isn't going to help us. Which is totally fine. We all get to live our own lives. I base this statement on the presumption that he's leaving high school with plans to be in the NBA in short order.

If he wants to join us next year. Learn the system. Be a proper member of the team.... great. Looking forward to see him grow.

I also don't think Akok coming here for a short period of time really hurts us. I just dont think it helps. I'm pretty indifferent about it.
I think it’s a great opportunity for Hurley to try to build up his reputation as being able to send players to the league. Recruiting is about results, that’s why UK recruits overlook Cal recruiting over current players and his overall smug personality. And until Hurley can prove that he has what it takes to produce NBA players the top tier guys will likely go elsewhere. If Akok wants to come here, I’m not saying toss a current player to the curb, but we should make room.

Reaction Score
Every single crystal ball predictor still likes our chances. I know not to put too much faith into those but they obviously know more about this than most of us do. Pretty confident in our ability to move around the scholarship issue. Even if Akok comes for one year, with our other top targets for 2019, the roster seems to be built around winning now.
Winning now means winning later. Ollie let us fall off the map and there is some buzz with Hurley's signing. We get the players now and we win now, we win now and we are back to getting bigtime classes and winning big.

Reaction Score
I'm going to leave this up to the staff. Id prefer we don't force anyone out, but I don't think Hurley is going to do that unless there is a chemistry issue with someone on the roster. It doesn't seem that way but you never really know what's going on behind closed doors
First of all, we don't know if he is even choosing UConn to attend college. If he does choose us and can be enrolled some how for the second semester, then let him be a practice player for the remainder of the season. Is it really worth it to damage the bond that Hurley has been developing with his players and how they are playing with more confidence, energy, and enthusiasm?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Does he even need to take Brocke's spot? There have been many occasions when we've had >2 dressed walk-ons with 13 scholarship players.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a great opportunity for Hurley to try to build up his reputation as being able to send players to the league. Recruiting is about results, that’s why UK recruits overlook Cal recruiting over current players and his overall smug personality. And until Hurley can prove that he has what it takes to produce NBA players the top tier guys will likely go elsewhere. If Akok wants to come here, I’m not saying toss a current player to the curb, but we should make room.

Ok, i might buy that argument

Reaction Score
I would tell Akok to read Diamond Stone’s biography and that was after 1 year of college in the ACC at Maryland. Camping out with Hurley for a couple seasons might pay off well for him.

Reaction Score
Winning now means winning later. Ollie let us fall off the map and there is some buzz with Hurley's signing. We get the players now and we win now, we win now and we are back to getting bigtime classes and winning big.
By winning now I meant for 2019. Youre 100% right on this.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this doesn't make much sense. Scholarships are limited, but why would you be limited to the number of walk-ons you can accept?
There could be a policy related to travel/hotels etc but I assume we'd make an exception

Reaction Score
Does he even need to take Brocke's spot? There have been many occasions when we've had >2 dressed walk-ons with 13 scholarship players.

Agreed...this post didn't make sense. We can have 20 walk-ons if we wanted (no idea if this is actually true but we can certainly have more than 2, we've had many years with at least 3 or 4).

Reaction Score
Let's assume he comes to UCONN mid season. Does that help us in the short term or long term? I don't think he helps us long term. The midyear move doesn't happen a ton, but obviously Diallo comes to mind. To me this is a player who wants to spend as little time as possible in both high school and college. I dont blame him. There's a lot of $$ in the nba. In the short term, does he help us? We have a handful of guys who are actually playing pretty well. Does Akok bench them after not practicing for half the year? I doubt it.

I would just move on. I don't want to sound critical of anyone on this board, but stop being a desperate fan looking for fools gold. It won't help.
If he comes to Uconn and then goes to NBA it helps us in factors other than just this years wins and losses. I think you take anyone who has NBA possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom