Akok and mid-year acceptance | The Boneyard

Akok and mid-year acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Forgive me if this was discussed in the other thread before it become unreadable and got frozen, but there was a lot of speculation about how Akok could come here during the semester break given that we have 13 scholarship players. I did not see the obvious answer discussed, so let me set it out.

It is very difficult for me to believe he's going to pay his own way, and many of the schemes that folks throw out for getting around the 13 schollie limit just don't work. It's not like anyone here is going to throw out an idea for a loophole that NCAA compliance hasn't thought of. No, the obvious answer is that one of the current 13 is ready to transfer out at the end of the semester, sit out a year and then play elsewhere starting in December of 19. I fully support the policy of not discussing the possibility of any particular player transferring out, so I won't, but it also doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine who we have that might want to not waste the second semester not being in the rotation.

Reaction Score
I don't see it happening. There is only one guy who may have a legitimate playing time gripe and he has had a bad ankle recently.

Reaction Score
I don’t know either but Eric Bossi did say this today

On Akok Akok: "UConn has been considered the team to beat and the Huskies still appear to be in good position. If not them, Pitt looks like the other most likely option. Expect a decision within the next few weeks."

These guys know recruiting way more than I do. I don’t think all these recent crystal ball picks and articles would keep mentioning us if it wasn’t possible.

Just gotta let it play out and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Apparently he left his high school without telling his coach first. It wouldn't surprise me if he thinks he can do this without talking to UConn about it first either.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why are we assuming he can’t afford one semester? He might being doing this because he can. Not to mention financial aid, and the fact he could go pro next year, if he really wanted.

Reaction Score
I don't see it happening. There is only one guy who may have a legitimate playing time gripe and he has had a bad ankle recently.
Williams don't play much but he is an injury backup and not really expendable.

Reaction Score
Why are we assuming he can’t afford one semester? He might being doing this because he can. Not to mention financial aid, and the fact he could go pro next year, if he really wanted.

I don't think anyone questions that he could afford to come to UConn for a semester. It's that if he does it means we have a scholarship issue.

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this was discussed in the other thread before it become unreadable and got frozen, but there was a lot of speculation about how Akok could come here during the semester break given that we have 13 scholarship players. I did not see the obvious answer discussed, so let me set it out.

It is very difficult for me to believe he's going to pay his own way, and many of the schemes that folks throw out for getting around the 13 schollie limit just don't work. It's not like anyone here is going to throw out an idea for a loophole that NCAA compliance hasn't thought of. No, the obvious answer is that one of the current 13 is ready to transfer out at the end of the semester, sit out a year and then play elsewhere starting in December of 19. I fully support the policy of not discussing the possibility of any particular player transferring out, so I won't, but it also doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine who we have that might want to not waste the second semester not being in the rotation.
Funny but I said the same thing, twice, and both posts got deleted. I don't get why for the same reasons you state here. This is a common thing that happens, it is an obvious way for Akok to get to UConn next semester and you didn't mention a specific player.

Reaction Score
Harlem Globetrotter players make an average of $73,000 per year. If any of our current players are wondering. Maybe someone wants to capitalize on a unique talent as soon as possible?... I'm def gonna get crap for posting this.

lol yes you are unless the thread gets deleted first.

But normally an old senior probably knows the deal and will just ride out the season.

Reaction Score
I don't think he was referring to Williams since he isn't injured.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hurley is building a culture, and the fact that he came in and kept all of our players without feeling the need to force anyone out this offseason is a huge part of why we look so much more cohesive. Half a season of Akok isn't enough for me to want Hurley to break his trust with the team.

Reaction Score
Let's assume he comes to UCONN mid season. Does that help us in the short term or long term? I don't think he helps us long term. The midyear move doesn't happen a ton, but obviously Diallo comes to mind. To me this is a player who wants to spend as little time as possible in both high school and college. I dont blame him. There's a lot of $$ in the nba. In the short term, does he help us? We have a handful of guys who are actually playing pretty well. Does Akok bench them after not practicing for half the year? I doubt it.

I would just move on. I don't want to sound critical of anyone on this board, but stop being a desperate fan looking for fools gold. It won't help.

Reaction Score
Let's assume he comes to UCONN mid season. Does that help us in the short term or long term? I don't think he helps us long term. The midyear move doesn't happen a ton, but obviously Diallo comes to mind. To me this is a player who wants to spend as little time as possible in both high school and college. I dont blame him. There's a lot of $$ in the nba. In the short term, does he help us? We have a handful of guys who are actually playing pretty well. Does Akok bench them after not practicing for half the year? I doubt it.

I would just move on. I don't want to sound critical of anyone on this board, but stop being a desperate fan looking for fools gold. It won't help.
It could help us long term. Even if he does just stay half a year, if he becomes a successful NBA guy that’s another player we can stamp UConn on. I think people are overestimating how much this would hurt the culture, putting a UConn player into the NBA such as Akok would help the culture.

Reaction Score
I'm going to leave this up to the staff. Id prefer we don't force anyone out, but I don't think Hurley is going to do that unless there is a chemistry issue with someone on the roster. It doesn't seem that way but you never really know what's going on behind closed doors

Reaction Score
It could help us long term. Even if he does just stay half a year, if he becomes a successful NBA guy that’s another player we can stamp UConn on. I think people are overestimating how much this would hurt the culture, putting a UConn player into the NBA such as Akok would help the culture.
He could also get to college and realize he's not ready for the NBA yet. Or he goes to college, tears it up, and plays his way to being drafted. Either way that's a win.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I didn't say anything about forcing a player out. It is quite possible that Akok -- hanging around the program as he is -- knows that someone voluntarily wants out. Players do leave and transfer during the semester break.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't know Akok at all. He may be a good dude... but based on my years of watching college bball this is someone who simply wants to get to the NBA and isn't going to help us. Which is totally fine. We all get to live our own lives. I base this statement on the presumption that he's leaving high school with plans to be in the NBA in short order.

If he wants to join us next year. Learn the system. Be a proper member of the team.... great. Looking forward to see him grow.

I also don't think Akok coming here for a short period of time really hurts us. I just dont think it helps. I'm pretty indifferent about it.

Reaction Score
Would be curious to know if Akok is consulting Hamidou at all since they were teammates (albeit briefly - Akok joined PSA in August 2016 and Diallo left for UK January 2017). Hami was going to do the none-and-done, ended up staying for a year, then got picked in the 2nd round. Wonder what Hami would tell Akok to do.

Reaction Score
Did UK have an open scholarship for Hami or did someone move to walk-on? I don't remember out they handled adding him in between semesters

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I feel like the only way this would work with team chemistry is if he takes the Hamidou Diallo approach and sits out the spring semester but enrolls. Not saying it’s here, could go somewhere else.

I like the mojo we’ve got and I don’t wanna mess with it.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I didn't say anything about forcing a player out. It is quite possible that Akok -- hanging around the program as he is -- knows that someone voluntarily wants out. Players do leave and transfer during the semester break.
JC did it a few times but I still think if he comes I still believe that UConn will work out some need based scholarship/loan scenario. If a player does leave it is doubtful that it will be a player in their final year of eligibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom