Akok and Carlton | The Boneyard

Akok and Carlton

Reaction Score
First off, Whalley played great, so he gets props but the weakness offensively around the rim from Carlton is unreal, broken record. Now Akok blocked 2 shots but his inability to score from point blank to outside is worrisome. We got 5 points from them both. Unacceptable. Rebounds we were fine and if we had Sid things would have been different. I willlet others comment on Gilbert’s play. Next year we have to have some players with BBIQ. Essential.

Reaction Score
2 things this team needs to do during the off season to exhaustion. Shot and screen.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I said in a thread where Vital was being knocked, and it could go in the Gilbert threads too, we have no inside game apart from put backs. The point is, while it’s okay to question our guard’s decision making, they don’t have a huge array of options and the other teams know it. I didn’t think AG was all that bad at the end today. He probably was fouled on his one over penetration. Precious was a big recruiting miss. Probably gone anyway after this year.

Reaction Score
Akok was great until his 2 super weak fouls took him completely out of the game.

Reaction Score
We were also getting slammed with contact that was not called, instead we got called for offensive fouls. There was major bashing that went uncalled. The reffing is disgraceful but we shoot ourselves In the feet all the time. No basketball smarts. AG is what he is and Vital too, nothing can be done with those 2. Hurley is forced to use them.

Reaction Score
Akok came out like a house on fire defensively for the first five minutes and then was a nonfactor.

Gaffney was 0-6 with zero assists. His influence at the beginning was maybe a bit too calming because they were getting doubled up by Memphis when Gilbert came in.

Whaley was great. If you had told me two years ago that he’d be the contributor he is now I’d say you were insane. I could not believe my eyes when he ripped a guard, led a fast break, and dished to Bouknight for a chance for two.

Adams was a nonfactor.

Bouknight continues to struggle shooting and he’s way too sloppy with the ball, but he’s clearly our best option to manufacture scoring plays. Kid will be very good before it’s all said and done. Late on a rotation that led to a backbreaking Memphis 3.

Carlton .... pass. Not sure what he brings in games like this that Whaley doesn’t.

Gilbert will obviously share blame for the loss with Vital, which seems nuts to me. He had one awful turnover trying to force that hit ahead to Whaley, but beyond that I’m not going to kill the kid when he gets the ball with 5 seconds on the shot clock and tries to make a play. It is simply a true statement that this team had very little going on offensively to start the game before he came in.

Vital was Vital. Plays his ass off, defends, rebounds, can hit shots, and makes a couple plays that make you want to destroy your tv. Seems crazy to pin the loss on him when so many other guys were zeroes but the narrative for the season has been established and that’s the way it’s gonna be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Akok came out like a house on fire defensively for the first five minutes and then was a nonfactor.

Gaffney was 0-6 with zero assists. His influence at the beginning was maybe a bit too calming because they were getting doubled up by Memphis when Gilbert came in.

Whaley was great. If you had told me two years ago that he’d be the contributor he is now I’d say you were insane. I could not believe my eyes when he ripped a guard, led a fast break, and dished to Bouknight for a chance for two.

Adams was a nonfactor.

Bouknight continues to struggle shooting and he’s way too sloppy with the ball, but he’s clearly our best option to manufacture scoring plays. Kid will be very good before it’s all said and done. Late on a rotation that led to a backbreaking Memphis 3.

Carlton .... pass. Not sure what he brings in games like this that Whaley doesn’t.

Gilbert will obviously share blame for the loss with Vital, which seems nuts to me. He had one awful turnover trying to force that hit ahead to Whaley, but beyond that I’m not going to kill the kid when he gets the ball with 5 seconds on the shot clock and tries to make a play. It is simply a true statement that this team had very little going on offensively to start the game before he came in.

Vital was Vital. Plays his ass off, defends, rebounds, can hit shots, and makes a couple plays that make you want to destroy your tv. Seems crazy to pin the loss on him when so many other guys were zeroes but the narrative for the season has been established and that’s the way it’s gonna be.
This sums up the game entirely for me. Unfortunately this type of intelligent review is mostly non existent in this forum.

Reaction Score

Adams was a nonfactor.

right on the money, nice job

Reaction Score

Adams was a nonfactor.

Nothing to argue with here.

I think Akok will finish better next year, assuming he's able to get stronger . . .

Reaction Score

Adams was a nonfactor.

This sums it up completely. Very well said.

We can now close the thread so Superjohn can have his own Carlton thread.

Reaction Score
What I don't like about Akok today is that Precious took it to him and he folded like a cheap suit

Reaction Score
Precious is night and day better then Akok and I don't think Precious even had a good game. I shows that Akok will really need 3 years of college hoop, so will Bouk.

Reaction Score
First off, Whalley played great, so he gets props but the weakness offensively around the rim from Carlton is unreal, broken record. Now Akok blocked 2 shots but his inability to score from point blank to outside is worrisome. We got 5 points from them both. Unacceptable. Rebounds we were fine and if we had Sid things would have been different. I willlet others comment on Gilbert’s play. Next year we have to have some players with BBQ. Essential.
Carlton Gaffney and Badams were prolly like 2-16 from the floor but let’s blame AG and CV who shot 10-23. Logical. And btw, yes my man whalley playd very well

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said in a thread where Vital was being knocked, and it could go in the Gilbert threads too, we have no inside game apart from put backs. The point is, while it’s okay to question our guard’s decision making, they don’t have a huge array of options and the other teams know it. I didn’t think AG was all that bad at the end today. He probably was fouled on his one over penetration. Precious was a big recruiting miss. Probably gone anyway after this year.
Hated the screen shot of Kellogg’s top frosh staring at Kofi and precious. Ugh. Got that Hami feeling.

Reaction Score

Adams was a nonfactor.

Spot on Crack! Thanks

Reaction Score
What I don't like about Akok today is that Precious took it to him and he folded like a cheap suit

In fairness to Akouk Precious has an NBA body as a college freshman. Kid is way stronger than I expected him to be. I’m impressed with that kid.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Akouk Precious has an NBA body as a college freshman. Kid is way stronger than I expected him to be. I’m impressed with that kid.

His strength is definitely impressive. He clearly has a ton of talent and made some very nice plays down low on both ends. But he also had 8 turnovers, many of the insanely bad decision variety. A work in progress.

Reaction Score
Refs like it too as he did the exact same play to Akok that Carlton got called for on the off emend with his bull shove into the paint.

Reaction Score

Precious is the bigger and better player maybe by far but Akok played very soft

Reaction Score
Refs like it too as he did the exact same play to Akok that Carlton got called for on the off emend with his bull shove into the paint.
I noticed this as well. Carlton got the charge and Precious got the lay up and no call. It happened all game long.

Reaction Score
His strength is definitely impressive. He clearly has a ton of talent and made some very nice plays down low on both ends. But he also had 8 turnovers, many of the insanely bad decision variety. A work in progress.

Yeah I don't think he's a surefire day one contributor in the NBA by any means, but he was better than I expected him to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom