Akok Akok | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was reported that Tom Moore was there tonight and Hurley and Kimani will be there tomorrow for Mitchell and Bouknight
Akok played today, right? Was he there specifically for Akok?

Reaction Score
I went to the games yesterday and can confirm that Tom Moore was there. Akok didn’t look like himself, he was limping around and favoring his right leg the entire game/warm ups. He didn’t have a great stats night, but he is a strong presence inside altering shots/getting high rebounds. He has a reallly nice shooting touch from the outside. Didn’t play a lot of minutes because of his injury/ PSA’s depth.

OT: Trey Mitchell really surprised me, big wide framed kid who has very good fundamentals for rebounding. Also hit multiple 3 pointers, has a very nice shot.

Reaction Score
"I think it’s a very slim chance he does that,” Espinosa told the Register. “I think he could, but very slim. Physically, I think he’ll even struggle next year in college. Physically, he needs to get stronger. That’s his biggest weakness. We’ll see.”

- Akok's coach on the NBA.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I went to the games yesterday and can confirm that Tom Moore was there. Akok didn’t look like himself, he was limping around and favoring his right leg the entire game/warm ups. He didn’t have a great stats night, but he is a strong presence inside altering shots/getting high rebounds. He has a reallly nice shooting touch from the outside. Didn’t play a lot of minutes because of his injury/ PSA’s depth.

OT: Trey Mitchell really surprised me, big wide framed kid who has very good fundamentals for rebounding. Also hit multiple 3 pointers, has a very nice shot.
Obviously Kofi is the big fish, but Tre is a worthy backup plan. He's always reminded me of one of those mega producers at the college level. Would love to bring them aboard.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"I think it’s a very slim chance he does that,” Espinosa told the Register. “I think he could, but very slim. Physically, I think he’ll even struggle next year in college. Physically, he needs to get stronger. That’s his biggest weakness. We’ll see.”

- Akok's coach on the NBA.

His biggest weakness is weakness

Reaction Score
Akok is not ready for NBA. I hope he can be convinced of that. If he chooses college I’m pretty confident it will be Uconn. Other wise it’s years of D league.
As a UConn fan, this is a very easy comment to make. Of course, physically he is not ready for the NBA. I am not sure if there is a single person that would say otherwise. But I don't know anything about Akok or his family off the court. There could be other reasons behind this temptation. If thats the case, good for him. I will never fault anyone who leaves early with a first round guarantee. If you can cash one of those checks, you do it. The risk/reward is to great. Again, see Hamidou Diallo. Financially, he would have been better off never playing in college. If the criticism is that Akok is too weak, odds are people will say the same thing next winter. Then what? Sure, as a UConn fan it would be great to think he will be in Storrs for 3 years. Its easy for us to think that. But what would you do if you were in his situation? As a fan, its easy to look at this in a vacuum. I will be pissed if we lose him to another school. But if he is confident that he will get first round money, he should go.

Reaction Score
I am done with recruiting. The saga of these top 50 kids is worse than the worst soap opera. If they come, great, if not, at least I know we now have a coach who can coach up whoever wants to be here.
You have no idea how many times I've said the same thing but recruiting keeps dragging you back in. You are infected and there is no cure.

Bost4

Mr. to you...
Reaction Score
You have no idea how many times I've said the same thing but recruiting keeps dragging you back in. You are infected and there is no cure.
920E7CD8-0543-4A86-B5F6-5F7500F95E00.jpeg

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
this was probably already answered somewhere, but how is Akok eligible for this draft? Wouldn't he have to go to G-league for a year and then get drafted?

Reaction Score
this was probably already answered somewhere, but how is Akok eligible for this draft? Wouldn't he have to go to G-league for a year and then get drafted?
He is a year removed from HS (he's a post-grad) and he's old enough (19 I believe).

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, this is a very easy comment to make. Of course, physically he is not ready for the NBA. I am not sure if there is a single person that would say otherwise. But I don't know anything about Akok or his family off the court. There could be other reasons behind this temptation. If thats the case, good for him. I will never fault anyone who leaves early with a first round guarantee. If you can cash one of those checks, you do it. The risk/reward is to great. Again, see Hamidou Diallo. Financially, he would have been better off never playing in college. If the criticism is that Akok is too weak, odds are people will say the same thing next winter. Then what? Sure, as a UConn fan it would be great to think he will be in Storrs for 3 years. Its easy for us to think that. But what would you do if you were in his situation? As a fan, its easy to look at this in a vacuum. I will be pissed if we lose him to another school. But if he is confident that he will get first round money, he should go.
Your points about Akok's family situation are completely true. None of us know what his motives are there and we shouldn't look down on a kid who tries to do his best to support his family.

That said, there is ample evidence to show undersized kids who spend a year in college come out after one year in much better physical condition, especially someone who is 19 going on 20 instead of a year before. So the odds that scouts will say the same thing about him next year aren't likely.

In college he'll have a full spring/summer prior to school starting of weight training, a full schedule of in-season training all in addition to practices and all that occurs in-season. All of that while having the ability to be on a strictly regimented nutrition program. In high school and prep school, most don't have that level of structure with strength and nutrition programs. It's not at all unreasonable for a kid to put on 20 pounds of pure muscle (and more of pure body mass) in one college year, which would be significantly beneficial to him in the pros.

Reaction Score
Your points about Akok's family situation are completely true. None of us know what his motives are there and we shouldn't look down on a kid who tries to do his best to support his family.

That said, there is ample evidence to show undersized kids who spend a year in college come out after one year in much better physical condition, especially someone who is 19 going on 20 instead of a year before. So the odds that scouts will say the same thing about him next year aren't likely.

In college he'll have a full spring/summer prior to school starting of weight training, a full schedule of in-season training all in addition to practices and all that occurs in-season. All of that while having the ability to be on a strictly regimented nutrition program. In high school and prep school, most don't have that level of structure with strength and nutrition programs. It's not at all unreasonable for a kid to put on 20 pounds of pure muscle (and more of pure body mass) in one college year, which would be significantly beneficial to him in the pros.
Simply playing devil's advocate here but sometimes, for a guy like Akok, a smaller sample size may actually help him. What if plays in college and underwhelms? He can go from being drafted in the first round on pure potential to the second round with non-guaranteed money. Now the uphill climb becomes a lot steeper. Listen, I also agree and want him to come to college. But if he chooses to go pro, presumably with a mid-late first round guarantee, it may just be in his best interests. Whether we agree or don't.

Reaction Score

Drawing scouts and impressing scouts once there are two different things. Also wasn’t Jalen Lecque there as well? By all accounts he’s much more likely to declare.

Reaction Score
Next years draft class is stacked. Hard to see him getting a chance in the first round. The potential is there and I can definitely see Hurley turn this kid into a first rounder

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Whether he's actually considering about going or not, this has been a great PR strategy. He's attracted national attention, possible unwarrantedly so, which definitely helps draft stock.

If he ends up coming to us this will help us. "High Schooler skips draft to attend UConn."

Reaction Score
Whether he's actually considering about going or not, this has been a great PR strategy. He's attracted national attention, possible unwarrantedly so, which definitely helps draft stock.

If he ends up coming to us this will help us. "High Schooler skips draft to attend UConn."

Improves draft stock? LMAO. It may get him more attention on the internet, but the thought that NBA scouts and executives are making draft decisions on someone having gone out of their way to get some internet publicity is beyond ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Some of the negative/questioning comments about Akok surprise me. He is a consensus top 50 player right? What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom