Akinjo released from LOI | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akinjo released from LOI

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm still holding out hope that we reach back out to him after the new coach is named.

Best of luck to Akinjo and family, and I hope to one day see him in a Husky uniform anyways...

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Thanking Patrick Ewing for coming out to Cali for a visit.

Somewhere big john thompson just threw a towel and kicked his leg out. #bigeastwhereartthou

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This dude doesn’t wanna play in the NBA then I guess.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The kid is overrated by the boneyard... He's a decent player but nowhere near "the truth" some claim him to be.

Always found it comical how the best argument for keeping Ollie was because of a prospect ranked in the low 100's/ high 90's. It's the boneyard tho, nothing surprises me here.

Reaction Score
The kid is overrated by the boneyard... He's a decent player but nowhere near "the truth" some claim him to be.

Always found it comical how the best argument for keeping Ollie was because of a prospect ranked in the low 100's/ high 90's. It's the boneyard tho, nothing surprises me here.

Why would anything surprise you?:eek:

I mean you are claiming to know more than those who think he's the "truth" when you don't. Unless I'm wrong and you've seen him live 25-30 times? Like there's never been a guard ranked in the 90's or even higher that's ever become a really good player. Truth is no one knows.

Reaction Score

Why would anything surprise you?:eek:

I mean you are claiming to know more than those who think he's the "truth" when you don't. Unless I'm wrong and you've seen him live 25-30 times? Like there's never been a guard ranked in the 90's or even higher that's ever become a really good player. Truth is no one knows.

To be fair we don't need to see him live, there are people who make their living by watching and evaluating high school talent and they have ranked him around 100. I'm not knocking the kid at all, I really hope we are able to land him once we have an official announcement on the new head coach, but kids with the potential to be the "truth" are typically top 20 players.

Reaction Score
To be fair we don't need to see him live, there are people who make their living by watching and evaluating high school talent and they have ranked him around 100. I'm not knocking the kid at all, I really hope we are able to land him once we have an official announcement on the new head coach, but kids with the potential to be the "truth" are typically top 20 players.
There are no guarantees just improved odds. I'm sure any school in the country would have loved to have the little guard from UCMB... but he never showed up on anybody's radar because he was so short, to frail...but there are a hundred just like him who would not have produced at that level. This is why a good good coach is a good evaluator and an even better when they can develop what they have.

Reaction Score
I never understand why schools hold these kids hostage when they ask for a release. It looks bad for the school and makes it even less likely that they'll want to play at that school when a new coach is in place. This was the right move.
Um, maybe because when you sign a contract it carries certain, you know, obligations for both parties. So those schools are merely teaching a life lesson. You sign a binding agreement it, you know, is binding. Imagine the squealing you’d hear if the new coach told him “we are releasing you from your LOI because you don’t meet our needs.” Heck Edsall got blasted for dropping a kid who had not signed anything. Or if the school announced it was going to do that and would release the kid if they landed someone better.

Look, I don’t object to releasing the kid from his letter. Who even knows if he fits the new guy’s vision. But it would be nice if he asked first then reopened his recruiting rather than acting like it was his right. Like every other person on the planet has to do if he wants out of an agreement.

Reaction Score
There are no guarantees just improved odds. I'm sure any school in the country would have loved to have the little guard from UCMB... but he never showed up on anybody's radar because he was so short, to frail...but there are a hundred just like him who would not have produced at that level. This is why a good good coach is a good evaluator and an even better when they can develop what they have.

Theres exceptions to everything, but lets not throw around "The Truth" haphazardly. This should be saved for the Ray Allen's, Rip Hamilton's, and Kemba Walker's of the world. Not a kid barely in the top 100. Yeah the kid at UMBC may go on a Steph Curry esque run, but thats the exception not the rule. The odds favor Akinjo being a good to great player are very high, but "The Truth" is unlikely

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Only because he was a KO recruit
If Hurley was after him he's the second coming of Seth Curry because DH is a genius and KO is nothing but a dolt and a cheat

Reaction Score

What do you think Bazz was ranked out of high school????

Reaction Score
JA may or may not become a star but I’d bet in a few years we’ll be saying damn I wish we didn’t lose out on him. At this time a new coach is more important than keeping the recruit but Akinjo is will be fun to watch and will lead his team to the NCAAs one day soon.

Reaction Score
We need ball-handlers and it sucks to lose him but his tape isn't all that impressive. MAL wasn't impressive on tape either and he didn't wow anyone this year as a freshman at Providence. Still, I would like to have had either kid at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom