AK: The Most Talent He’s Seen Here | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AK: The Most Talent He’s Seen Here

Reaction Score
This isn't talked about enough tbh. Such an amazing yin to Hurley's yang.
Exactly. Newton when the game pressure increased and Hurley was yelling and everyone else's heart rate jumped, Newton's blood pressure decreased and kept things under control. His 2 title game performances will go down in UConn legend and lore.

I think people forget Newton was 1st team Big East, BET MOP, 1st team All-American, Bob Cousy Award winner, and NCAAT MOP. And he was the PG and floor leader of the intricate offense the Huskies run that is the envy of every team and their fanbases.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Game one I'd have Diarra/Mahaney/McNeeley/Karaban/Johnson.

Last game probably Mahaney/Ball or Stewart/McNeeley/Karaban/Johnson.

Think one of Ball or Stewart has a huge breakout. Defensively Diarra/Mahaney is small, Ball or Stewart gives us a plus athlete with size to guard the other teams best wing.

Reed has a chance if Johnson hasn't improved.

Reaction Score
Our coaching staff has been 4 steps ahead of the competition for 2 years running. You expect the same offense? Then you haven’t been paying attention. We no longer have a 6’5 pg, or a 7’2 center, but we will have better more athletic guards, an NBA ready sharpshooter, and 2 very agile bigs. And our bench scoring is going to be better regardless of who comes off the bench. I expect the offense to reflect these changes. And I expect this team to 3-peat!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That was great! The young man has a bright future. Maybe coaching or broadcasting, or anything he decides.

I don't remember a player so articulate and comfortable in a lengthy interview like that one. He handled it like a professional.

Very sharp.

You should listen to the CT Scoreboard podcast, our own @gwhuskyfan runs it and gets the chance to talk to Alex on a regular basis during the season. He just did a podcast with him after he announced he was coming back and will have another one coming next week I believe.

Reaction Score
You should listen to the CT Scoreboard podcast, our own @gwhuskyfan runs it and gets the chance to talk to Alex on a regular basis during the season. He just did a podcast with him after he announced he was coming back and will have another one coming next week I believe.
Yup! Hopefully recording tomorrow. Drop some questions you have for Alex and I'll try to get to them

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Diarra starts, not Ball. There's no PG in your starting lineup. And I don't think Reed starts over Samson. Samson knows our offense and he put on 20 pounds of muscle this summer. He'll start over Reed (imo).
That's really great to hear! Could make him a totally different player.

Reaction Score
Always a great thing when your most talented player LM is also one of the hardest workers and most determined players. This guy is going to be something by February.

So many of his 3 point shots last year were contested, which really bodes well.

Reaction Score
I know we all appreciated what Newton brought but damn it was immense. And we can never have a cooler customer than him. His bp probably never exceeded 120/80.
100% the best, most valuable, player in the Big East this year

Combined with Cam Spencer who never got rattled either, but his emotions ran at just a little higher rpm

Reaction Score
Me on the other hand, I got no problem embellishing. Here’s how I see UConn talent at the moment #iykyk

Reaction Score
That was great! The young man has a bright future. Maybe coaching or broadcasting, or anything he decides.

I don't remember a player so articulate and comfortable in a lengthy interview like that one. He handled it like a professional.

Very sharp.
OK how bout this? UConn head coach in 2045.

Reaction Score
I'd love to get some more insight into his quote that spawned this thread.
I saw the clip and he said it sincerely, matter of fact manner. It was like he’s been scrimmaging with all of the new and returning players and this is what he saw. He was impressed with our talent overall and that’s after coming off his NBA combine workouts.

Reaction Score
I’ve thought pretty much thought since his first year AK would have a NBA career but his real success would come as a head coach

Reaction Score
This might sound like an oversimplification but I think how far we can go might depend to a great extent on how big our Johnson can get during the off-season. He needs to be stronger down low.

We're going to miss those two experienced guards for sure. That's going to be the biggest adjustment. Who's running the offense and can create a clutch opportunity when we need it.

Reaction Score
Depends what kind of talent we are talking about here....there is an awful lot of talent prior

DC best defensive big in the country
SC best perimeter defender
Cam one of the best 3 point shooters and offensive weapons
TN All American
Hass 6MOY and very good perimeter defender

And of course with 2023 you have
AS best offensive post player in the country
JH best NBA 3 point shooting prospect in the country
Etc.
Talent in the Aggregate, the depth of the team. There are several pros on this years team; players that will go eventually go in the first or second around of the respective NBA draft and or will play for good teams overseas. That is how you need to look at it.

The unknown is how this team comes together and develops their chemistry. The offseason is where the Championship teams are molded. Coach Hurley has the formula and understands what is needed. It's something that can't be forced and that's why it's critical to have a core of UCONN guys that Hurley and staff have recruited as freshmen to keep this thing going. These guys are the glue.

A mix of true blue UCONN recruits, upper classmen, sophomores, freshmen with some experienced, talented transfers that are smart and know how to play the pure game of basketball at a high level. How the chemistry develops is the unknown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom