AK on our freshmen squad

Reaction Score
Cannot wait to see this line up to take court:

Clingan(7’2)
Karaban(6’8)
Newton(6’5)
Spencer(6’4)
Castle (6’6)

That’s a lot of height, shooting, and dishing, not to mention that 3 of them are defeding champs, one of them is seasoned transfer and the last one is highly touted one and done! If they gel together over the course of the season, I’m sure Danny will see to it, this team may just pull off defending our title.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What passes as the NBA game today, will soon have to be blown up. Finals TV ratings have dropped nearly 2/3rds from the Michael Jordan days. 50% of the shots being 3’s with the other guys just standing around the 3 line, just doesn’t work. Nor does Adam Silver’s Commissionership. A poor imitation of the great David Stern. Some guys like Hathaway were always meant to be number #2 administrators not strategic leaders.

The day will come again when teams with guys like Adama will be the model again. It will be about, defense, rebounding and fast break. As with Bird, the 3 will be a timely weapon at the right moments. Post play will come back too. I see Alex Karaban being successful in that model too.
I watched a few playoff games this year and they reminded me of why i haven't watched the NBA in years. Totally uninteresting.

Reaction Score
I watched a few playoff games this year and they reminded me of why i haven't watched the NBA in years. Totally uninteresting.
giphy (2).gif

Reaction Score
Did you used to watch the NBA? Why do you think the NBA is less interesting now? In my opinion today's players are much more athletic and skilled than they used to be so curious what you don't like.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
What passes as the NBA game today, will soon have to be blown up. Finals TV ratings have dropped nearly 2/3rds from the Michael Jordan days. 50% of the shots being 3’s with the other guys just standing around the 3 line, just doesn’t work. Nor does Adam Silver’s Commissionership. A poor imitation of the great David Stern. Some guys like Hathaway were always meant to be number #2 administrators not strategic leaders.

The day will come again when teams with guys like Adama will be the model again. It will be about, defense, rebounding and fast break. As with Bird, the 3 will be a timely weapon at the right moments. Post play will come back too. I see Alex Karaban being successful in that model too.
@Chief, if they NBA wants to return to the glory days you speak of they would have get rid of the three point shot. Or push it out so far the sideline three is completely eliminated. All sports are completely statistically driven. 3 is more than 2 and every NBA roster has 6 players or more that can shoot 33%+ from three. It's clear the lane and drive and dish. I'm not disagreeing with your point because I believe the game lacks the variety that it used to but it would take a major rule change to bring back the game that you and I like.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Did you used to watch the NBA? Why do you think the NBA is less interesting now? In my opinion today's players are much more athletic and skilled than they used to be so curious what you don't like.
No one plays defense. The game is a lot less physical. The storylines aren't as good. There are about 4-6 too many teams. If the NBA had 24 or 26 teams (like in the 80s), the product would be better.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Responding to someone’s post. Do you think we need to know about your car being stolen? Jerk.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The players generally are definitely more athletic. More skilled? Not so sure about that, there are a lot more players so more skilled people yes. An overwhelming % of the plays are a guard driving rather easily deep into the lane and passing the ball to a wing for a 3 attempt, maybe making a lay up, getting blocked, or being fouled. The teams with a better scoring big have a little more variety. The mid range is like a dinosaur. If you like the modern game fine. I don’t and it has nothing to do with some of the really talented individuals. Some people won’t watch baseball because they find it boring. I get it. But many more unexpected things happen in baseball than they do in the NBA.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Fwiw, this is pretty much how the Nuggets won this year.

Not 100% sure about the fast breaks, but everything else checks out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The players generally are definitely more athletic. More skilled? Not so sure about that, there are a lot more players so more skilled people yes. An overwhelming % of the plays are a guard driving rather easily deep into the lane and passing the ball to a wing for a 3 attempt, maybe making a lay up, getting blocked, or being fouled. The teams with a better scoring big have a little more variety. The mid range is like a dinosaur. If you like the modern game fine. I don’t and it has nothing to do with some of the really talented individuals. Some people won’t watch baseball because they find it boring. I get it. But many more unexpected things happen in baseball than they do in the NBA.
Yes, players were so much more skilled back in the day.

Look at this innovative move Michael Jordan did that left announcers stunned. High skill level basketball right here.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, players were so much more skilled back in the day.

Look at this innovative move Michael Jordan did that left announcers stunned. High skill level basketball right here.

Earl Monroe was the first player to use a spin move to shoot off of. He was asked what he thinks before starting the move. He replied that he really didn’t think about it, he just did it. Bob Cousy is the model for skilled point guards. Jabbar had more finesse and skill maybe than any big ever. Michael, Magic, Larry, Wilt, Bill Russell, Big E, Barkley unique for his size. A whole bunch of others greatly skilled.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No one plays defense. The game is a lot less physical. The storylines aren't as good. There are about 4-6 too many teams. If the NBA had 24 or 26 teams (like in the 80s), the product would be better.
Your opinion is your opinion, interesting that a lot of people criticizing the NBA are actually champion for expansion though.

Reaction Score
Once again, the people who think the NBA doesn't care about defense, or that every possession looks the same just don't understand high level basketball. There is a higher skill level and more athleticism than we have ever seen before. Defensive schemes are worlds more complex than we saw in the 90s and early 2000s. The era of iso is over, and the game is better for it.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Once again, the people who think the NBA doesn't care about defense, or that every possession looks the same just don't understand high level basketball. There is a higher skill level and more athleticism than we have ever seen before. Defensive schemes are worlds more complex than we saw in the 90s and early 2000s. The era of iso is over, and the game is better for it.
It takes two to tango. If players are more skilled and athletic, that should be seen on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
Ok everyone here comes my player comparison. He is a 21st century version of Larry Bird. Maybe not as big but definitely more athletic and he is only going to become a better shooter and he is already very good. I think he will be a great shooter as his career continues. Bird had that shot where he put the ball off to the side just above his right ear. Squared his elbow that way. AK shot is distinct as well the way he sets it kind of straight in front and just above his eyes. We are comparing Clingan to Jokic so I figured I would take it to another level
You’ve been reading too many Scappy Posts .
Larry Bird carried a lower mid major to a FF . . AK was the 3rd or 4th option on a very talented team .
He will probably be 2-3 this year . But If he stays three and is the number one option on a young team that he carries on his back to a great season then we can talk about comparisons. Until then he is a great player to have so let’s enjoy that for now.

Reaction Score
I love AK but he was mostly a forth or fifth option. Even if he greatly improves, he may still be similar this season.

Reaction Score
With Jokic and Bird on the team next season, we should be alright. /s

Head bang

We also have that video of the player gushing over Castle's passing to JJ Reddick. Magic Castle? We got ourselves a dream team.

Seriously though, I think preseason expectations right now are as high as we have seen for any team in UConn history, and justifiably so. Ticket demand should be through the roof.

UConn/St John's at the Garden next year will be a Big East event straight out of 1985. Danny and Pitino will need to wear sweaters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No defense and no such thing as a travel for starters

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The
i know you consider yourself to be a definitive expert. Good for you. I find it repetive and boring. And maybe because of intricate defensive schemes. Just because you like it doesn’t make it interesting for everyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom