A'ja Wilson is really in pain with her ankle injury. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson is really in pain with her ankle injury.

Reaction Score
I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that looks like it's being treated as a grade 3 sprain. If that's the case, could be a couple weeks casted and then weeks to rehab and rebuild strength.

Watch out for the old "Willis Reed." Maybe even a ketchup shot on the socks, for RS Nation...

Reaction Score
It was reported tonight that the cast is coming off tomorrow; she still may play at LSU. I doubt it, though.
That would be great. She is a fine talent and a great young woman. I wish she were playing for the Huskies. We hope she is there to battle UConn in February.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That would be great. She is a fine talent and a great young woman. I wish she were playing for the Huskies. We hope she is there to battle UConn in February.
She had her chance playing for Uconn.

Reaction Score
If she shows up, Geno will sign Grayson Allen and Amanda Nunes. Nobody puts the Streak in a corner...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I feel for you and your team and for the uncertainty between the announced information and what we see with our lying eyes. But just to say, FWIW (and that's nothing!) that folks in casts where the ankle is getting better are usually encouraged to walk on it a bit to strengthen the ankle. Clearly, that's not happening here: not even crutches. But maybe that's a good think, I dunno. Just not what seems consistent with the announced info, but luckily everyone on BY is a board certified orthopedic surgeon, so you're getting the very best info here.....

I'm a banker, not a physician, so I don't know anything. I do know that A'ja missed a game or two last season because of her shin splints and she wore a similar cast for a few days.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She jogged around and did some exercises with the team today. She didn't go too hard at practice. I hope we sideline her for LSU... we need her 100% for MSU..

I've been saying that I thought she'd travel to LSU, but only play, if necessary.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - very good news.
Really strange treatment plan to me, but what do I know. Never heard of such short term use of plaster on any joint in the body, but they keep coming up with new sports medicine 'tricks' so all is good.

Reaction Score
Most injuries tend to be painful.

A'ja will be fine. Don't worry your pretty little husky head.
It seems like we have an unusually high number of Gamecock fans in here ? They must feel like they will beat Uconn this year, and want to be here to gloat. I may be totally wrong.

Reaction Score
It seems like we have an unusually high number of Gamecock fans in here ? They must feel like they will beat Uconn this year, and want to be here to gloat. I may be totally wrong.
.....Or we just simply love talking basketball with some great Huskie fans being that this is the most active and entertaining WBB forum on the Internet. :)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

There have been quite a few in here since two years ago when we started playing again. There is a lot of good WBB discussion in here, which is why we visit.

Reaction Score
She practiced today so that's a good sign.

What's the rush..........I would not push it in case of re-injury........even if she misses the Miss St game, I'd rather have her at 100% for the remainder of the season................

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What's the rush.....I would not push it in case of re-injury...even if she misses the Miss St game, I'd rather have her at 100% for the remainder of the season......

The severity of the injury was never released so who's to say she's being rushed at all. Her injury was stated as "day to day" almost as soon as the team got back to Columbia so it probably wasn't THAT bad.

A lot of us just assumed the injury was probably more severe than it was because a few pictures were released of Wilson wearing a cast and riding a scooter...

But it's quite possible that the injury just looked worse than it actually was.

FWIW, I'd probably sit Wilson until Mississippi State. But I'm not the coach..

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The severity of the injury was never released so who's to say she's being rushed at all. Her injury was stated as "day to day" almost as soon as the team got back to Columbia so it probably wasn't THAT bad.

A lot of us just assumed the injury was probably more severe than it was because a few pictures were released of Wilson wearing a cast and riding a scooter...

I'm sure Dawn and her staff will err on the side of caution, and Wilson will only play if she's truly good to go. Even in the short-term worst-case scenario of a loss to LSU, it's just one result that the committee will consider mitigated by Wilson's absence. This is mid-January and lots of basketball remains to be played.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I've seen a number of ankle sprains reoccur during a long season so I feel it's always better to be safe then sorry...........feel the same way about Dangerfield and her foot injury...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The severity of the injury was never released so who's to say she's being rushed at all. Her injury was stated as "day to day" almost as soon as the team got back to Columbia so it probably wasn't THAT bad. A lot of us just assumed the injury was probably more severe than it was because a few pictures were released of Wilson wearing a cast and riding a scooter...
I did/do not need a "release" to tell me:
1) A'Ja was carried off the court not to return ( I watched live)
2) A'ja was the next day wearing a boot (that was bad enough)
3) The day after wearing a boot A'Ja was wearing a full cast. (I wish I did not see that now I can't erase it.)
Also quite possible the injury is as bad as it looked- but I still hope not.

Reaction Score
3) The day after wearing a boot A'Ja was wearing a full cast. (I wish I did not see that now I can't erase it.)
Have two children, boy and girl, with multiple sprains through the years. Some took a few days to heal, some months. No reason to believe this is more than a severe sprain. Tough thing is often the ligaments get stretched and the injury can reoccur.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I wasn't referring to anything you said.... my entire response was to the idea, by another poster even, that she's being rushed back on court.

It's possible she's actually not being rushed back on.

Reaction Score
Have two children, boy and girl, with multiple sprains through the years. Some took a few days to heal, some months. No reason to believe this is more than a severe sprain. Tough thing is often the ligaments get stretched and the injury can reoccur.

Yes that's the scary part about it! Not long ago during my playing days I rolled my ankle probably badder then A'ja and had to sit out during some games and when I came back I felt completely fine! But I went up to grab a rebound and it was like my brain wanted me to roll it again and that's what happened lol .... its is very easy to sprain it a couple times after the first rodeo so in the case of Aja I hope it doesn't happen again! The best thing for her to prevent it from happening again is to either wrap the ankle before games, wear ankle braces for protection, and wear high top shoes that strings up above the ankle. I've notice she likes to wear the low top Under Armor shoes and that was part of the cause of her Sprain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom