A'ja Wilson is really in pain with her ankle injury.

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by KevCav, Jan 12, 2017.

1. KevCav

KevCav

Fairfield Fan likes this.
  2. SCGamecock

SCGamecock Carolina Sandlapper

Most injuries tend to be painful.

A'ja will be fine. Don't worry your pretty little husky head.

CMC'72, HuskyLax, Bonpland and 5 others like this.
  3. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

As Husky fans we always want to play teams at their best and meet the challenge on the court. We, also, know the disappointment of losing great players in the middle of the season like when we lost both Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova. Not all injuries are dispatched easily and many continue to nag for months like Saniya's IT band issue last year or numerous others we can remember.

4. tonehill68

tonehill68

Ankle injuries (mainly sprains) are hard injuries to determine how long a player will be out and they tend to be be sore for a while. Right now Aja is out for the game against Georgia Thursday night and most likely Sunday against LSU. Who knows how long she will be out. Hope she comes back at 100%

KevCav, Icebear, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  5. CocoHusky

CocoHusky

I am worried & will remain so until she returns, which hopefully will be soon.

tonehill68 and JordyG like this.
  6. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

Not trying to speculate too wildly, but ... that is a seriously tall boot she is wearing and I wonder if it indicates the dreaded 'high ankle' sprain as opposed to the shorter (often walking) boot more common with the standard ankle sprains. Should it be a high ankle sprain, the typical recovery time is significantly longer.

KevCav, ochoopsfan, AndyCT and 3 others like this.
  7. donalddoowop

donalddoowop

GOOD!

NewCorn and SCGamecock like this.
  8. eebmg

eebmg

To continue our improvement and a shot at the NC. we need to face all teams at top strength. If we are lacking, better to know before the tournament.

Jimbo, CMC'72, NewCorn and 2 others like this.
  9. huskeynut

huskeynut Leader of the Band

Uc - I'm with you on this one.

When I saw the injury take place, my immediate thought was this not good at all. It could be a high ankle sprain. Now seeing that big boot and the scooter, I'm worried it is a high sprain. If so, as you said, the recovery period is significant.

I would hope that Dawn will make sure Wilson is completely healthy before returning to the court.

Oldbones, NewCorn and AndyCT like this.
  10. bags27

bags27

Yup. From experience, I know that after suffering a high ankle sprain, for a long time you're only one weird twist away from relapse. Why the Patriots shut down Amendola for 2+ months. A'ja's young, strong, and has terrific medical attention. So, if it is more serious than a tweak, they'll put together the best plan for a thorough recovery.

11. SCspur

SCspur

I saw A'ja and her Dad last night. She told me it's not as serious as it looked and she could put pressure on it but her Dad wanted her to be cautious and let it heal fully. She said she could play through it but she is likely to be out for Georgia and LSU but should return in full force for Ole Miss.

Jimbo, KevCav, CMC'72 and 19 others like this.
  12. Dawson

Dawson

I hope she is healed by the 7th. I hate when teams that have a chance to knock off UConn lose their top player. The worst was in 2014 when ND lost Achonwa in the tournament.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't ACTUALLY want them to knock us off, but I like a good competitive game. :)

CMC'72, Wmccfp, ochoopsfan and 5 others like this.
  13. CocoHusky

CocoHusky

UConn vs. South Carolina game is 13 February. I hate when any player gets hurt but injuries are unfortunately part of the game.

14. Checkmate

Checkmate

she looks like she is ready to play... the pain is gone

[​IMG]

15. JordyG

JordyG

Those Wilson's are made of strong stuff. I think I speak for all of us here in Huskyland when I say get 100% and come back stronger. In this house we love Dawn and we love us some A'ja.

CMC'72, Justice, SCGamecock and 5 others like this.
  16. JordyG

JordyG

My heart's a puddle.

Rocket009, SCGamecock and Checkmate like this.
  17. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

Ok, I am a real worrier - but she has traded her boot for what looks to me to be a plaster cast. That does not look like a one week recovery.

18. bags27

bags27

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that looks like it's being treated as a grade 3 sprain. If that's the case, could be a couple weeks casted and then weeks to rehab and rebuild strength.

19. choochoo

choochoo

Thats no boot and thats a full on plaster cast like when you break a bone. Total non movement to let the bones stich back together. 8 weeks at least. I am an emt and a OEC ski patrol veteran. You do not put a cast on a sprain. Too much swelling and bruising. Be really surprised to see her in mid Febuary. I have seen my share of ankle and lower leg injuries and that did not look good in real time.

20. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

That was my thinking - the adjustable boot for the first few days to allow the swelling to subside and then the inflexible cast to immobilize the whole foot/ankle/lower leg.

JordyG and bags27 like this.
  21. bags27

bags27

Knew I should have slept at a Holiday Inn Express before offering a medical opinion. True, when I had a grade 3 sprain, I wasn't casted like that. She may be lucky: a break often heals faster than a severe sprain, but, if you are right, choochoo, maybe they need to keep her pointed toward the tournament.

22. cockhrnleghrn

cockhrnleghrn Fan of the Garnet & Black

It was reported tonight that the cast is coming off tomorrow; she still may play at LSU. I doubt it, though.

23. CocoHusky

CocoHusky

A two day cast? Never heard of such,seems extreme to me. I'm still worried.

24. bags27

bags27

I feel for you and your team and for the uncertainty between the announced information and what we see with our lying eyes. But just to say, FWIW (and that's nothing!) that folks in casts where the ankle is getting better are usually encouraged to walk on it a bit to strengthen the ankle. Clearly, that's not happening here: not even crutches. But maybe that's a good think, I dunno. Just not what seems consistent with the announced info, but luckily everyone on BY is a board certified orthopedic surgeon, so you're getting the very best info here.....

Jimbo, SCGamecock, NewCorn and 5 others like this.
  25. Fanmomma

Fanmomma UCONN WBB ALL DAY

I guess we'll see her soon. Heal well A'Ja. Can't wait to see her back on the court.

JordyG, NewCorn and bags27 like this.