A'ja Wilson is really in pain with her ankle injury. | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson is really in pain with her ankle injury.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Most injuries tend to be painful.

A'ja will be fine. Don't worry your pretty little husky head.

As Husky fans we always want to play teams at their best and meet the challenge on the court. We, also, know the disappointment of losing great players in the middle of the season like when we lost both Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova. Not all injuries are dispatched easily and many continue to nag for months like Saniya's IT band issue last year or numerous others we can remember.

Reaction Score
Ankle injuries (mainly sprains) are hard injuries to determine how long a player will be out and they tend to be be sore for a while. Right now Aja is out for the game against Georgia Thursday night and most likely Sunday against LSU. Who knows how long she will be out. Hope she comes back at 100%

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not trying to speculate too wildly, but ... that is a seriously tall boot she is wearing and I wonder if it indicates the dreaded 'high ankle' sprain as opposed to the shorter (often walking) boot more common with the standard ankle sprains. Should it be a high ankle sprain, the typical recovery time is significantly longer.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not trying to speculate too wildly, but ... that is a seriously tall boot she is wearing and I wonder if it indicates the dreaded 'high ankle' sprain as opposed to the shorter (often walking) boot more common with the standard ankle sprains. Should it be a high ankle sprain, the typical recovery time is significantly longer.

Uc - I'm with you on this one.

When I saw the injury take place, my immediate thought was this not good at all. It could be a high ankle sprain. Now seeing that big boot and the scooter, I'm worried it is a high sprain. If so, as you said, the recovery period is significant.

I would hope that Dawn will make sure Wilson is completely healthy before returning to the court.

Reaction Score
Yup. From experience, I know that after suffering a high ankle sprain, for a long time you're only one weird twist away from relapse. Why the Patriots shut down Amendola for 2+ months. A'ja's young, strong, and has terrific medical attention. So, if it is more serious than a tweak, they'll put together the best plan for a thorough recovery.

Reaction Score
Uc - I'm with you on this one.

When I saw the injury take place, my immediate thought was this not good at all. It could be a high ankle sprain. Now seeing that big boot and the scooter, I'm worried it is a high sprain. If so, as you said, the recovery period is significant.

I would hope that Dawn will make sure Wilson is completely healthy before returning to the court.

I saw A'ja and her Dad last night. She told me it's not as serious as it looked and she could put pressure on it but her Dad wanted her to be cautious and let it heal fully. She said she could play through it but she is likely to be out for Georgia and LSU but should return in full force for Ole Miss.

Reaction Score
I hope she is healed by the 7th. I hate when teams that have a chance to knock off UCONN lose their top player. The worst was in 2014 when ND lost Achonwa in the tournament.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't ACTUALLY want them to knock us off, but I like a good competitive game. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope she is healed by the 7th. I hate when teams that have a chance to knock off UCONN lose their top player. The worst was in 2014 when ND lost Achonwa in the tournament. Now don't get me wrong, I don't ACTUALLY want them to knock us off, but I like a good competitive game. :)
UCONN vs. South Carolina game is 13 February. I hate when any player gets hurt but injuries are unfortunately part of the game.

Reaction Score
she looks like she is ready to play... the pain is gone

C1_smuSUoAAUZwr.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I saw A'ja and her Dad last night. She told me it's not as serious as it looked and she could put pressure on it but her Dad wanted her to be cautious and let it heal fully. She said she could play through it but she is likely to be out for Georgia and LSU but should return in full force for Ole Miss.
Those Wilson's are made of strong stuff. I think I speak for all of us here in Huskyland when I say get 100% and come back stronger. In this house we love Dawn and we love us some A'ja.

Reaction Score
Thats no boot and thats a full on plaster cast like when you break a bone. Total non movement to let the bones stich back together. 8 weeks at least. I am an emt and a OEC ski patrol veteran. You do not put a cast on a sprain. Too much swelling and bruising. Be really surprised to see her in mid Febuary. I have seen my share of ankle and lower leg injuries and that did not look good in real time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thats no boot and thats a full on plaster cast like when you break a bone. Total non movement to let the bones stich back together. 8 weeks at least. I am an emt and a OEC ski patrol veteran. You do not put a cast on a sprain. Too much swelling and bruising. Be really surprised to see her in mid Febuary. I have seen my share of ankle and lower leg injuries and that did not look good in real time.
That was my thinking - the adjustable boot for the first few days to allow the swelling to subside and then the inflexible cast to immobilize the whole foot/ankle/lower leg.

Reaction Score
Knew I should have slept at a Holiday Inn Express before offering a medical opinion. True, when I had a grade 3 sprain, I wasn't casted like that. She may be lucky: a break often heals faster than a severe sprain, but, if you are right, choochoo, maybe they need to keep her pointed toward the tournament.

Reaction Score
It was reported tonight that the cast is coming off tomorrow; she still may play at LSU. I doubt it, though.
I feel for you and your team and for the uncertainty between the announced information and what we see with our lying eyes. But just to say, FWIW (and that's nothing!) that folks in casts where the ankle is getting better are usually encouraged to walk on it a bit to strengthen the ankle. Clearly, that's not happening here: not even crutches. But maybe that's a good think, I dunno. Just not what seems consistent with the announced info, but luckily everyone on BY is a board certified orthopedic surgeon, so you're getting the very best info here.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom