A'ja talk | The Boneyard

A'ja talk

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I may have to turn the volume off if they just keep talking about you know who!
Don’t be discouraged. We disagree with you on this topic but keep posting!

Reaction Score
I may have to turn the volume off if they just keep talking about you know who!

Some disagree some don't but I guess that what makes it a great board

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well sometimes we UConn fans get a little edgy.

I have no problem giving Wilson her due. She's earned it. But ESPN is noted for going over the top on some stuff and this is one. The studio session had a little UConn in the beginning but the it was all about Wilson. Then on to ND/ Oregon.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You have to earn it. 27 points.... That's nice. ZERO assist.
Lou... 17 points..... 7 assist. Better all around player. Those 7 assist means at least 14 extra points.... So in essence Lou had a connection to 31 points at minimum.
Can’t we be gracious to an outstanding young woman in our victory? Geno recruited her hard - A’ja is a quality person.

Reaction Score
Lou... 17 points..... 7 assist. Better all around player. Those 7 assist means at least 14 extra points.... So in essence Lou had a connection to 31 points at minimum.
Add two times she positioned and took the charge (seems like at least one every game) and those seven assists came with just one turnover. Add her sliding help defense and you’re talking a complete game

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

Gabby 32 minutes, 11-16 23 points, 7 boards, 5 assists
Wilson 34 minutes, 11-18, 27 points, 8 boards, 0 assists

If Wilson is NPOY and Gabby is without question the better defender, what does that make Gabby?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Can’t we be gracious to an outstanding young woman in our victory? Geno recruited her hard - A’ja is a quality person.

No argument there, Nan. But ESPN decided on their narrative months ago, and they’ve contorted both fact and opinion to confirm their corporate perspective. They “needed” a great player and a great story that did NOT contain the term “UConn.” If you thought we saw the “Itty Bitty” schtick about once an hour for the last three months or more, what’s coming next at the final four is nausea guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Add two times she positioned and took the charge (seems like at least one every game) and those seven assists came with just one turnover. Add her sliding help defense and you’re talking a complete game
Add in that Aja gets a whistle with every miss shot. That is the one thing that just makes it hard to give her best playe award. Poor Z seems to get the opposite treatment. That said Aja is a heck of a player and even though she never beat UConn she does have a ring which means more.

Reaction Score
I only resented the carrying on about A'ja is because there was NO mention of the accomplishments of Kia and Gabby.

2 National Championships so far.
111 Game Winning Streak
Have only lost two games in their career.
This is the end of a college career of a 3-time AA who led her team to a national championship. How many others can you name in this century? DT, Candace, Maya, Stewie, Svet? It's appropriate to focus on her. Kia and Gabby will have their careers recognized at the Final Four.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Absolutely didn’t mind the A’ja talk as she deserves it. She did great things for South Carolina. What i didn’t like was the camera time when she was visiably upset. Her college career is over. Leave her emotions off extended camera time.

Reaction Score
Add in that Aja gets a whistle with every miss shot. That is the one thing that just makes it hard to give her best playe award. Poor Z seems to get the opposite treatment. That said Aja is a heck of a player and even though she never beat UConn she does have a ring which means more.

There are a whole lot of players that haven't beaten UCONN so there is no shame in that.

Reaction Score
Some disagree some don't but I guess that what makes it a great board
No argument there, Nan. But ESPN decided on their narrative months ago, and they’ve contorted both fact and opinion to confirm their corporate perspective. They “needed” a great player and a great story that did NOT contain the term “UConn.” If you thought we saw the “Itty Bitty” schtick about once an hour for the last three months or more, what’s coming next at the final four is nausea guaranteed.

well said. Nobody is trying to diminish Wilson’skill or accomplishments. However tonight’s game highlighted that UCONN is a team. SC got as far as one very good player could take them. SC ,tonight, had no game plan other than let A’ja do it. By spending the night putting A’ja on a pedestal ( as ESPN has done much of this season) they actually diminished what should have been a focus on the well designed UCONN game plan and magnificent team play of UCONN.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Wilson is in for a rude awakening as it's unlikely that the refs in the WNBA will let her get away with a lot of what she did during her career. I'm surprised she didn't injure one of her elbows, she used them so much.

Great career, yes, but the anointment during the last half was over the top. The only thing missing was mentioning her in the same breath as Mother Teresa.

Reaction Score
This is the end of a college career of a 3-time AA who led her team to a national championship. How many others can you name in this century? DT, Candace, Maya, Stewie, Svet? It's appropriate to focus on her. Kia and Gabby will have their careers recognized at the Final Four.
Aja is not in their class. Dont belong in same story, article or anybodys mind, LOL!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Understood. I just feel for A'ja. I do see others' opinions, though.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Understood. I just feel for A'ja. I do see others' opinions, though.

Yep. I enjoy your posts, even if we differ. But as to today, how can anyone think UCONN didn’t open a major can of whoopin’ on SC. Loved it all the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom