AJ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AJ

Reaction Score
Positives:
  • elite athleticism and leaping ability that shows up on the boards
  • crafty passer/playmaker
  • occasional highlight-reel dunks/blocks ("still only counts for 2", but those momentum plays do matter)

Negatives:
  • can't shoot, refuses to shoot, and everyone knows it
  • does more tapping the ball than grabbing it, which usually ends up OOB or in the opponents' hands
  • poor lateral movement, easily beat off the dribble and doesn't recover

Like everyone else, if he can keep doing what he does well and minimize the harm from what he does poorly, we'll be a very dangerous and versatile team.

Reaction Score
NBA talent. athletic at the wing , can defend multiple positions and hits free throws

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Advance statistics have him as the #1 defensive player in the Big East and top 20 in the country, but you’re all right, he can’t defend.
Not that I don't believe you, but I am curious which stat/s that is?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
DBPM has Jackson at 5.1 which is 4th in the Big East and he's at 1.0 DWS which is 1st in the Big East. Not sure where those rank nationally though
I was using defensive ratings and DWS. 1.0 DWS is 6th nationally
Do either of the stats take rebounding into account? I still think this matches the eye test with his team defense either way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson Defense:

The good- Great defensive rebounder, very good with tips/deflections, very good shot blocker for a wing player.
The bad- Loses his man a bunch and is very susceptible to getting back doored on passes. I tend to think Hurley is okay with this since he rarely pulls Jackson when he gets beat back door. I think Hurley feels benefit of aggressiveness outweighs the times Jax gets burned.

Jackson Offense:

Still a work in progress.

The good- so fast and powerful when he wants to be getting to the rim. Similar to Bouk, he can just open up so much room between he and the defender in one step. Been real good with FT's. Still a gifted passer but others have said, keep is simple when simple will do it for you.
The bad- more than having suspect J is his reluctance to look for his shot when the offensive sets scream for it or when shot clock is winding down.

Looking to next year. I'd love to see Hurley and the staff work with Jackson on a post up game. Not as a primary option but during the flow run some baseline screens to free up Jackson near the block. His size and strength scream for a pretty 6'-8' turn around J off the glass. You could almost, gawd I hate what I am about to write, try to run the offense through him on the blocks finding cutters, kicking it out to wings or shooting from in close.

Reaction Score
As long as the driving lanes are open.. AJ can almost get to the rim at will because of his hops/athleticism.. Will be the next evolution of his game until/or if he develops a reliable jumper. Slashing to the hoop/lobs/put-backs can easily provide 8-12 pts a game within game flow and off of his defense.

Reaction Score
People on the chat were dissing AJ quite a bit. OK. he's not an outside threat and does get beat off the dribble too much. Guy had 9 points, 11 rebounds and 5 assists. What game were these Jackson haters watching? That being said I though Akok was player of the game.
Thank you. If Jackson had an outside shot and a better handle, he would have been a five-star one-and-done player.

Jackson's above the rim ability at the wing is top 1% in the nation. An added part of his game that surprises me is his ability to disrupt ball-handlers due to his length and athleticism.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Positives:
  • elite athleticism and leaping ability that shows up on the boards
  • crafty passer/playmaker
  • occasional highlight-reel dunks/blocks ("still only counts for 2", but those momentum plays do matter)

Negatives:
  • can't shoot, refuses to shoot, and everyone knows it
  • does more tapping the ball than grabbing it, which usually ends up OOB or in the opponents' hands
  • poor lateral movement, easily beat off the dribble and doesn't recover

Like everyone else, if he can keep doing what he does well and minimize the harm from what he does poorly, we'll be a very dangerous and versatile team.
and yet he leads the team in rebounding by a large margin

Reaction Score

Actually, Martin leads the team in rebounding so your statement isnt accurate.That said, Jackson rebounds really well on the defensive glass and looks to push the ball on the break. His ceiling is really high if he cleans up his handle and continues to work on his shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

People expect everyone to be a horizontal rebounder like Sanogo. Andre doing a traditional box out and get the board with two hands doesn't quite make sense.... With his athleticism you HAVE to let him be a creative problem-solver on the court. Sometimes he'll need to be a traditional rebounder, sometimes "get the ball and run" needs to be plan A. He's only to get better if you give him reps despite the mistakes.

Reaction Score
Jackson Defense:

The good- Great defensive rebounder, very good with tips/deflections, very good shot blocker for a wing player.
The bad- Loses his man a bunch and is very susceptible to getting back doored on passes. I tend to think Hurley is okay with this since he rarely pulls Jackson when he gets beat back door. I think Hurley feels benefit of aggressiveness outweighs the times Jax gets burned.

Jackson Offense:

Still a work in progress.

The good- so fast and powerful when he wants to be getting to the rim. Similar to Bouk, he can just open up so much room between he and the defender in one step. Been real good with FT's. Still a gifted passer but others have said, keep is simple when simple will do it for you.
The bad- more than having suspect J is his reluctance to look for his shot when the offensive sets scream for it or when shot clock is winding down.

Looking to next year. I'd love to see Hurley and the staff work with Jackson on a post up game. Not as a primary option but during the flow run some baseline screens to free up Jackson near the block. His size and strength scream for a pretty 6'-8' turn around J off the glass. You could almost, gawd I hate what I am about to write, try to run the offense through him on the blocks finding cutters, kicking it out to wings or shooting from in close.
You forgot to mention his handle is not tight. His handle is good for PF but a little weak for a SF/SG he often plays at times. Another reason why he can't really blow by defenders like he should with athletic talent. He also has the ugliest floater I have seen. He kind of just shot puts it up there like all his shots. LOL! Also, for a guy so athletic he tends to get beat off the dribble. I'm guessing his lateral quickness is not as good as his straight forward quickness obviously. He just reminds me so much of Stanley Robinson athletically but of course with a worst shot but lot better court vision. Though Stanley improved his shot a lot by the time he was a SR. Hopefully AJ can do that too. I will say his rebounding is elite level and he actually blocks out at times too which seems like a lost art.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Actually, Martin leads the team in rebounding so your statement is completely inaccurate.

That said, Jackson rebounds really well on the defensive glass and looks to push the ball on the break. His cieling is really high if he cleans up his handle and continues to work on his shot.
Tell ESPN. According to them Andre has 83 rebounds, Rese has 54. But thanks for playing

Reaction Score
One guy averages 7.7 rebounds per game and the other guy averages 7.5. this isn't difficult.
Is that per game or per minute? Because if you use minutes ..

AJ gets rebound every 3.51 minutes while TM gets a rebound every 3.61 minutes. This isn't difficult. AJ is better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's only to get better if you give him reps despite the mistakes.
Sorry this is inaccurate. A coach must yank every player after every mistake if he/she wants to win. It's the only way.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
One guy averages 7.7 rebounds per game and the other guy averages 7.5. this isn't difficult.
Dude, I said the guy with 28 more rebounds on the year than anyone else on the team is leading the team in rebounds, and you said my statement was "completely inaccurate". Apparently it's difficult for somebody.

Reaction Score
Dude, I said the guy with 28 more rebounds on the year than anyone else on the team is leading the team in rebounds, and you said my statement was "completely inaccurate". Apparently it's difficult for somebody.
Your statement isn’t inaccurate. But it’s without context. Martin has played in 2 less games up to this point

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Your statement isn’t inaccurate. But it’s without context. Martin has played in 2 less games up to this point
Actually, after looking at this I'm wondering if I had a stroke at some point. How did Martin only play in 7 games out of 11? He's really missed the last 4? I would have failed that test...

Reaction Score
Scoring is only one metric for determining a successful player. Like a lot of other posters have stated. Right now AJ does a lot of the little things well. He can facilitate, rebound, block shots, push the fast break, and shoot free throws (which is a highly underrated skill, IMO). He's going to be a much better offensive player in time but we absolutely need him on the court because he changes the game for us. Case in point from last game, the bonnies scored an easy layup on us and AJ took off running the other way to receive the long pass and proceeded to go to the hoop for an and 1 basket. He's basically Mr. Intangible for this year's team.

I do hope that he can change his speed up a bit more when dribbling the ball on fast breaks, since he seems to get into a bit of trouble once he runs into 2+ defenders. I believe one of the commentators made this point during the game. He gets that down and he starts being able to knock down pull up jumpers consistently, this guy will be a lottery pick caliber player.

Reaction Score
In the big run against the Bonnie’s, his intangibles help break open the second half lead. He had at least 2 assists to Hawkins, scored a hoop, got some rebounds and even set the screen for Hawkins final corner 3. That sequence was his most consequential of the season and he only scored 2 or 3 points total during that run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom