AJ vs Coppin State - Interesting Stats | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AJ vs Coppin State - Interesting Stats

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. He's inefficient and he doesn't have a true position. He is a pure athlete like Sticks was, his basketball physical attributes are off the charts, his game is nowhere near the same level.

Upside: He versatile and can be a matchup nightmare.
Downside: He isn't really good at any one thing other than dunking and makes too many negative plays.

Either he gets better or we have to live with the ups and downs and it is up to Hurley to figure out how to best use him. For me, tell him to forget defensive rebounding and release on every shot looking for the Donny/Donyell fastbreak slam dunk.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. He's inefficient and he doesn't have a true position. He is a pure athlete like Sticks was, his basketball physical attributes are off the charts, his game is nowhere near the same level.

Downside: He isn't really good at any one thing other than dunking and makes too many negative plays.

Either he gets better or we have to live with the ups and downs and it is up to Hurley to figure out how to best use him. For me, tell him to forget defensive rebounding and release on every shot looking for the Donny/Donyell fastbreak slam dunk.
He’s our leading rebounder… Andre is an elite rebounder for his position, they’re not going to ask him to leak out. A lot of teams defend against that anyway. Way more effective for him to get the rebound and go or be there for an outlet pass. People need to calm down on Andre, my lord he’s played 18 games in his career, he’ll be fine.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He’s our leading rebounder… Andre is an elite rebounder for his position, they’re not going to ask him to leak out. A lot of teams defend against that anyway. Way more effective for him to get the rebound and go or be there for an outlet pass. People need to calm down on Andre, my lord he’s played 18 games in his career, he’ll be fine.

We have other rebounders.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Gaffney has the confidence now he previously lacked. AJ looked pretty good from the foul line against Coppin State but otherwise turned down some open looks. He needs to keep practicing his shot until he has the confidence to take those open looks. After turning down an open look, only bad things seem to happen.
But, let’s credit him for doing some good rebounding.

Reaction Score
He’s going to rebound.
i agree he's going to rebound but that shouldnt be his biggest strength as a SF

in today's game i'd rather have my SF play like a big guard (e.g. hawkins, karaban). AJ can pass and handle like a guard but shooting is more important at that spot than rebounds and blocks

if not, i'd rather AJ turn into a small ball 4 where he can beat bigger guys off the dribble every time and then either finish at the rim or pass after collapsing the D. there would also be at least 3 good shooters on the court w/ him at any given time. i was feeling the same way about martin last year but he's slimmed down and is making 3s when he's open (so far)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i agree he's going to rebound but that shouldnt be his biggest strength as a wing

in today's game i'd rather have my SF play like a 3rd guard (e.g. hawkins). AJ can pass and handle like a guard but give me more shooting at that spot not rebounds and blocks

if not, i'd rather AJ turn into a small ball 4 where he can beat bigger guys off the dribble every time and then either finish at the rim or pass after collapsing the D. there would also be at least 3 other good shooters on the court at any given time so his shooting wouldn't be as big a liability. i was feeling the same way about martin last year but he's slimmed down and is making 3s when he's open (so far)
Ya I mean I’d love for him to be able to do more offensively. But I think there’s a good role for him to play if he’s rebounding and defending at a high level. Sample size is small obviously but he’s averaging 7.5 rebounds and 63 defensive rating. If he can find ways to get to the line regularly and hit that little floater he flashed first game, I think he’ll be okay. Gotta let him play through some mistakes, he just hasn’t had enough time to develop.

Reaction Score
I'm an AJ guy. I don't think he's overrated at all. In fact, if anything he seems forgotten about (besides on the BY). He can do things athletically against teams like central that we will be able to do against the best teams in the country. Other players we have will not be able to do that. He has a nice feel for the game…just too unselfish. He will prove to be a huge luxury for uconn

Reaction Score

We can only hope he turns out as good as Sticks!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Did anyone watch the game and use the eye test for Jackson and Polley?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom