AJ at the 4 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AJ at the 4

Reaction Score
The "4" doesn't mean anything. As long as he can defend the second biggest guy on the other team the offense should be interchangeable and I'm sure he will handle the ball a lot.
4 is an offensive designation not defensive
He could play 1-2-3 and still guard their 4 in a MTM. We’re not in box of orthodoxy.
He could play anywhere in a Zone.
I agree with the OP the 4 the way Hurley has used it in the past doesn’t really take advantage of his strengths. Hurley could change that of course.
Calhoun played Nadev in point forward almost similar to the old high post to take advantage of his passing skills. Even with his back to the basket on occasion.
If your pegs aren’t completely round forcing them into round holes is ineffective. Modify the holes to fit the pegs.

Reaction Score
I am having a hard time thinking about all the 4s in the Big East who would abuse Dre in the post. It's a lot easier for me to picture Samson getting blown away by 6'5/6'6 kids.

Hopefully Karaban is good so the debate is over. I think Samson will eventually be a 5. We need 3 shooters and it's easier to find a shooter at the 1-3 than 4 purely due to demographics. Sure, if SJ can shoot, we will play a bunch of big lineups.

Reaction Score
He could play 1-2-3 and still guard their 4 in a MTM. We’re not in box of orthodoxy.
I agree with the OP the 4 the way Hurley has used it in the past doesn’t really take advantage of his strengths. Hurley could change that of course.
Calhoun played Nadev in point forward almost similar to the old high post to take advantage of his passing skills. Even with his back to the basket on occasion.
If your pegs aren’t completely round forcing them into round holes is ineffective. Modify the holes to fit the pegs.
If it is a 4 out offense what difference does 1-4 make?

Reaction Score
Just because you say he isn't a primary ball handler, doesn't mean he isn't being developed into a primary ball handler.

The best way to beat a press, especially a zone/trapping press, is by passing the ball, not dribbling. Giving the ball to your primary ball handler and telling him to dribble through the press is a great way to repeatedly turn the ball over. How often college teams press has nothing to do with AJ's development as an NBA PG.

It's not the point guard's job to beat a press. All 5 guys on the court need to be ready to beat a press, because you pass through a zone/trapping press, not dribble. In full court man defense (which isn't a press, it's just full court man defense) =, you give the ball to your most favorable mismatch and send everyone down the court to create space. Sometimes that was Andre, sometimes it was Martin, sometimes it was

Just because you say he isn't a primary ball handler, doesn't mean he isn't being developed into a primary ball handler.

The best way to beat a press, especially a zone/trapping press, is by passing the ball, not dribbling. Giving the ball to your primary ball handler and telling him to dribble through the press is a great way to repeatedly turn the ball over. How often college teams press has nothing to do with AJ's development as an NBA PG.

It's not the point guard's job to beat a press. All 5 guys on the court need to be ready to beat a press, because you pass through a zone/trapping press, not dribble. In full court man defense (which isn't a press, it's just full court man defense) =, you give the ball to your most favorable mismatch and send everyone down the court to create space. Sometimes that was Andre, sometimes it was Martin, sometimes it was Cole. But it doesn't have to be the "PG".

AJ handled the ball a ton last year, particularly when he rebounded it and started the break, but also when Cole was playing off the ball. And he can defend 1-4. We must be watching different games.
"Just because you say he isn't a primary ball handler, doesn't mean he isn't being developed into a primary ball handler"

The idea that we recruit a forward who developes into a primary ball handler is unlikely. I'm not saying it cannot happen. But it's never happened in my tenure as a UCONN fan. Maybe Jackson will be the first.

Reaction Score
"Just because you say he isn't a primary ball handler, doesn't mean he isn't being developed into a primary ball handler"

The idea that we recruit a forward who developes into a primary ball handler is unlikely. I'm not saying it cannot happen. But it's never happened in my tenure as a UCONN fan. Maybe Jackson will be the first.
Have you seen a player like him before? That combination of size, athleticism, vision, and god awful shooting form?

I haven’t.

it will be much easier for him to improve his handle than it will be to fix his shot.

Reaction Score
Has anyone made the Draymond Green comp?
I think andre’s goal should be to be that type of player. Andre is a good and clever passer like draymond is but draymond is also very clever on defense, an attribute that is very rare and not even teachable.

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but we're in a glass case of emotion.

Sad Will Ferrell GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If it is a 4 out offense what difference does 1-4 make?
Very little, but some. Contrary to what @AZHuskiePop said, I consider it primarily a defensive designation, not offensive.

On offense, when Whaley was a 4, he largely screened and handed off up top on offense. That's not the role we want. When Akok, Polley or Johnson were the 4, they played the right wing position, open for corner 3's or drives along the baseline. Martin and AJ switched roles to some extent. AJ played a SG/second PG role and Martin primarily played the left wing position. Obviously people move around. My expectation is that AJ will again be up top as a guard/second PG/facilitator in our offense along with Newton. That puts Hawk in the left wing spot and a player to be named in the right wing spot.

The two guys up top are the most likely to drive and kick or try to score. The wings might do that, but more likely need catch and shoot ability from the corner for the kicks, along with the ability to cut without the ball, catch and dunk/score at the rim. That's part of why I think Johnson/Karaban are the best fit, even on offense. This is what I expect to see the 4 do regularly on offense. While Jackson absolutely can do that, he won't, because his role is as a facilitator up top. He'd be the guy driving.

Reaction Score
Whaley did a great job being able to play down to the 4, whether it was being able to get someone out a double team at the top of the key, playing perimeter defense off screens, or knocking down the occasional three. That being said I think having him and Sanogo play at the same time prevented each of them from maximizing their skill set. There were times were I think they clogged the paint up for each other, if Jackson is able to play the 4 type of roll I think it will open a more up for sanogo too

Reaction Score
Very little, but some. Contrary to what @AZHuskiePop said, I consider it primarily a defensive designation, not offensive.
This, especially in the system Hurley is going to run. There's very minimal impact on offensive role. The vast majority of the impact is getting another guard in the lineup by matching Jackson up on the opposing 4.

Reaction Score
Would rather Johnson at the 4, who Hurley says has wall potential, who also blocks shots, which we will be missing without Whaley.

Jackson has to learn how to score in a half court. He does so much else but we will need him to score as well, can't hide next year.
It will be very, very difficult for AJ to develop a consistent J in the off season after shooting like the way he has for his whole career. They will continue to lay off him and then we'll see how he shoots with someone in his face. And his lack of taking it to the hole. He is better suited at the 4 due to his atleticism and rebounding and lack of offense.

Reaction Score
But Nadav could stick the J from the outside. AJ, not.

Reaction Score
Andre is going to handle the ball some and play on the wing some. He will guard whoever coach tells him to guard and will get rebounds no matter who he’s guarding. His position doesn’t matter. Will he initiate the offense? When he gets the rebound, yes. Off makes and dead balls that will probably be newton.

Reaction Score
But Nadav could stick the J from the outside. AJ, not.
That’s true but if you have a weak shooter your 4 out goes down the tubes regardless of were he plays except the 5.
We’re making an assumption Jackson’s shot is good enough to prevent his man from sagging.
He doesn’t need to be Ray Allen but he has to be better than Terrance Samuel

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That’s true but if you have a weak shooter your 4 out goes down the tubes regardless of were he plays except the 5.
We’re making an assumption Jackson’s shot is good enough to prevent his man from sagging.
The hope with AJ (I think) is that he improves both his jump shot and his finishing at the rim. They are going to sag off of him, so he will get open looks. But if he becomes more dangerous as a penetration threat, and on kick outs, they will need to guard him. He's not like Whaley who could really only hurt you with his midrange game and passes to Sanogo. Don't forget too, Polley wasn't a threat to attack off the bounce from outside or pass. So they could play right in his face. They don't dare try that with Jackson, he will blow by guys.

He's an enigma, and yes the team has to adapt to him and use what he can do. If he isn't better then yes, there will be some offensive challenges again. But nothing near as bad as him + Whaley or even Polley. His defense, rebounding and passing will make him valuable anyway.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Regardless of his shot, defenders will have to respect him somewhat and the offense they can use with him at the 4 will create much more space. That’s the main thing here.

I imagine they can run a lot of motion offense (at least that’s the hope) where playing 4 out in certain spots on the floor can create MUCH better spacing and movement on offense. For everyone not just Sanogo.

Again, it will be crucial that Sanogo work on his passing skills because the biggest thing here is finding cutters which is where AJ may be able to thrive if guys can find him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Regardless of his shot, defenders will have to respect him somewhat and the offense they can use with him at the 4 will create much more space. That’s the main thing here.

I imagine they can run a lot of motion offense (at least that’s the hope) where playing 4 out in certain spots on the floor can create MUCH better spacing and movement on offense. For everyone not just Sanogo.

Again, it will be crucial that Sanogo work on his passing skills because the biggest thing here is finding cutters which is where AJ may be able to thrive if guys can find him.
Yeah, it would be great if AJ was a terrific shooter, but as a marginal shooter with his other skills, he will still work in the 4 out.

I'm not too worried about his passing. He struggled when the double team came and he couldn't find an outlet. He got better as seeing the double come. But he should be doubled less often in this offense. Our guys all need to do a better job of becoming available if they see that double coming. Too often they just stood around.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, it would be great if AJ was a terrific shooter, but as a marginal shooter with his other skills, he will still work in the 4 out.

I'm not too worried about his passing. He struggled when the double team came and he couldn't find an outlet. He got better as seeing the double come. But he should be doubled less often in this offense. Our guys all need to do a better job of becoming available if they see that double coming. Too often they just stood around.
I agree for the most part. He did make progress as the year went on. A lot of times he just rushed too much. Patience would go a long way with Sanogo. Like you said too, more movement and cutting. Less standing around.

If I was Danny there’d be a lot of practices where Sanogo is just asked to find open guys.

Reaction Score
Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Sanogo = me making money betting UConn

AJ at the 4 in a 4 out system = me needing to hedge my bets against the above reason. Please be really good Karaban or Sampson, please!

Reaction Score

AJ at the 4 in a 4 out system = me needing to hedge my bets against the above reason. Please be really good Karaban or Sampson, please!
Don't worry.. Be happy

Reaction Score
Don't worry.. Be happy
Haha, I love it. There's so many "mushroom cap" responses on here, nice to see a reprieve. Carry on my friend, I've got to go to bed, I've got a toddler.

Reaction Score

I would argue that Daniel Hamilton was the primary ball handler on the 2015-16 team. In fact, he averaged 4.7 assists the game, more than double that of Sterling Gibbs who was brought in to allegedly play point guard.

Reaction Score
I would argue that Daniel Hamilton was the primary ball handler on the 2015-16 team. In fact, he averaged 4.7 assists the game, more than double that of Sterling Gibbs who was brought in to allegedly play point guard.
Yeah. That's a solid example.

The Dham example also makes me further question the 'Jackson is a PG' discussion. DHam was a better ball handler and passer than Jackson. And yet, I don't remember claims that Dham should be PG. Or claims that he will be a PG at the next level. Dham was just a swing player with above average handle and passing. So why the claims that Jackson is a PG.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not sure about Sampson but I think Samson is going to be terrific

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom