Aidan Mahaney | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ve heard about the worry for him defensively:

Well he just had a very impressive 1:1 stop in open space on Gonzaga’s Hickman.

This shows me there is something there for Hurley to work with.

I’ll check back in soon.
I remember cam was going to be a defensive liability. He certainly was not. I think he improved immeasurably defensively from the beginning to end of season. Mahaney is a good athlete, his defense will be fine in this system

Reaction Score
We have been lucky the last 2 years injury wise. It makes sense for Hurley to guard against it tanking things.
We had chronic injuries during the course of the season and Danny and the kids only lost 2 games fully healthy. Clingan, Alex, Castle, and Cam all missed time. But we were injury free when it mattered most. McCullar misses time and their team collapsed. The difference was our starting 5 was better than Kansas and they had no bench. It’s important to have a deep bench with quality players and be able to lego the roster as to not miss a beat.

Reaction Score
Kids dont have to commit by 5/1.
I know but it’s the deadline for entering the portal. Hurley wants as many guys to commit before then to give current players the chance to assess what’s best for them

Reaction Score
I agree. But the overall skill level of portal guys the last few years compared to JUCO is not in the same universe. I agree that a kid can find a place to be a key player. But I am saying the kid who might have picked our program as lets say a top 75 hs kid might now decide to try and be the kid who goes to Dayton, East Carolina or Dayton and maybe portal out eventually. Do you disagree that top tier programs will opt to fill voids with top portal players at least if they don’t get what they want out of a freshman class? And on how that impacts players already in the program? The competition to be nationally relevant is pretty fierce at the top as conference consolidation shows. Hurley will do what he needs to do to keep us in the discussion not to mention the entitlement that half the BY thinks we have to be the top dog.
What you say is all true with this added consideration. As our program continues to be linked as one of the best, I see us obtaining more upper 4* and 5* high schoolers. This results in not having to dip very deep into the transfer portal for upper level talent every year. Right now, we are lucky to grab a 5* whereas Duke? Kansas et al, have an entire team of 5*s. This coming year we are forced to go portal hunting for a lot of kids as our entire team is turning over. When we can get to a state where the staff can cherry pick 1 or 2 high level UConn type players from the transfer portal, we will have reached nirvana.

Reaction Score
I care that Shulga visit sooner than later to gauge mutual interest and fit. Don’t want to pin all hope on Mahaney.
Mahaney is finishing his visits today. Deep breathes.

Reaction Score
Mahaney is finishing his visits today. Deep breathes.
Agree but with his choice down to UK and us, at least Creighton’s opening may be closed out to him. I was worried when Trey Alexander said he wasn’t returning and all those minutes were open.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The portal will make things different, no question. I just don’t see it as problematic. Maybe it means in the future a Ross goes to Dayton where he can transfer to the Big East after 3 years. This isn’t a problem for the universe of college basketball players.
It certainly seems like it has the potential to make the mid and low majors minor league feeders.

Reaction Score
I know but it’s the deadline for entering the portal. Hurley wants as many guys to commit before then to give current players the chance to assess what’s best for them
Says who?

There is already a backup plan that we "know" about. There will be a plan after that.

Someone is coming in to fill that role whether it is Option A, B, C, or Z. (With the roll UConn is on landing people how many options do you think it is going to take?)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Says who?

There is already a backup plan that we "know" about. There will be a plan after that.

Someone is coming in to fill that role whether it is Option A, B, C, or Z. (With the roll UConn is on landing people how many options do you think it is going to take?)
So are you saying nobody on the current roster can be one of those options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom