Aidan Igiehon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aidan Igiehon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So what about the millions of Americans with duel citizenship

People don't realize that the concept of nationalities in Europe is bizzare. They think it's strange and offensive to call yourself "Irish" if you're not actually a citizen. The only people in Europe that care about generational ethnicity and nationalism are white nationalists...

C

Chief00

It won’t help, and we are a long shot for Igiehon. Haven’t heard much buzz there whatsoever.

Dan was on him early but then he blew up beyond URI’s reach. Trying to reengage but as you indicate lots of competition. Hurley and Young carry some clout in NYC, plus we are not far from his Aunt’s and Uncle’s home.

C

Chief00

UPDATE: While the below is true as a general history lesson, this particular last name has Nigerian roots. We have had at least two Nigerian rooted NC centers - Okafor and Alex. Maybe Chuck too?

Before Update Post:
I don’t know the specifics on Igiehon’s roots but it wouldn’t shock me if they were Jamaican. Irish political prisoners were sent to Jamaica and were treated similar to Black slaves. There was intermingling and it’s not uncommon to see towns or streets in Jamaican with Irish derived names. Before I understood this history back in the 90’s I had a light brown skin Jamaican student I hired as a intern with the same last name as my mother’s maternal grandmother. After awhile I asked her and sure enough her grandfather’s family was Irish Jamaican and her mom’s was African Jamaican. Some members of her family went to school in Ireland and then jobs there or the U.S.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don’t don’t know the specifics on Igiehon’s roots but it wouldn’t shock me if they were Jamaican. Irish political prisoners were sent to Jamaica and were treated similar to Black slaves. There was intermingling and it’s not uncommon to see towns or streets in Jamaican with Irish derived names. Before I understood this history back in the 90’s I had a light skin Jamaican student intern with the same last name as my mother’s maternal grandmother. After awhile I asked her and sure enough her grandfather’s family was Irish Jamaican and her mom’s was African Jamaican. Some members of her family went to school in Ireland and then jobs there or the U.S.A.

Chief I had no idea you were such a rennaisance man. Dropping history dimes on the 'yard now?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
People don't realize that the concept of nationalities in Europe is bizzare. They think it's strange and offensive to call yourself "Irish" if you're not actually a citizen. The only people in Europe that care about generational ethnicity and nationalism are white nationalists...
You've not spent much time in SE Europe, have you?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
You're missing the point. Nationalities aren't a thing in Europe. Go tell someone from Ireland that you're Irish and they'll look at you confused
But it's extremely common on the east coast of the US to refer to yourself as Irish or Greek or Italian or African American. Most cities in the northeast, especially NYC, are still split up based on heritage. This kid is Irish-American, he has been here for 5 years and pretty "Americanized" he gets it. I'm not saying it's a major factor but it doesn't hurt. I work in sales I look for any sort of commonality with a potential customer. If I were Hurley I would be saying "you're from Dublin!? My grandmother was from Dublin."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

And Sicilians.

C

Chief00

Chief I had no idea you were such a rennaisance man. Dropping history dimes on the 'yard now?

Chief loves history. I wish it was taugh more in the schools today. History provides context and understanding to what’s happening today.
Oh by the way, Dan Hurley is passionate about history too. He taugh history in HS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Imagine arguing on a basketball message board about whether or not nationality is a thing to Europeans lol
The BoneYard where imagination meets reality. Imagine a recruit or team related post that doesn’t get highjacked. Now that you won’t see here

Reaction Score
Having spent a lot of time in Europe, a lot of time, the idea that they don't care about nationality is bizarre. They are much more wrapped up in it than Americans. I am not saying they are more nationalistic, but they certainly care more about ethnic and national roots. It's practically a past time of theirs discussing stereotypes or European peoples.

Reaction Score
But it's extremely common on the east coast of the US to refer to yourself as Irish or Greek or Italian or African American. Most cities in the northeast, especially NYC, are still split up based on heritage. This kid is Irish-American, he has been here for 5 years and pretty "Americanized" he gets it. I'm not saying it's a major factor but it doesn't hurt. I work in sales I look for any sort of commonality with a potential customer. If I were Hurley I would be saying "you're from Dublin!? My grandmother was from Dublin."
It's completely meaningless. I'm telling you, most europeans think it's weird that we refer to ourselves that way. I work with a bunch of them and knew a ton of foreign exchange students while I was at school. I got asked about this constantly. It's also commonly talked about on online forums.

Reaction Score
Having spent a lot of time in Europe, a lot of time, the idea that they don't care about nationality is bizarre. They are much more wrapped up in it than Americans. I am not saying they are more nationalistic, but they certainly care more about ethnic and national roots. It's practically a past time of theirs discussing stereotypes or European peoples.
no, I'm saying they don't care about what Americans consider themselves to be. By "they don't care" I mean, "The kid from Ireland doesn't care that someone's great-great grandmother came over from Ireland and doesn't understand why he considers himself to be 'Irish"

Reaction Score
no, I'm saying they don't care about what Americans consider themselves to be. By "they don't care" I mean, "The kid from Ireland doesn't care that someone's great-great grandmother came over from Ireland and doesn't understand why he considers himself to be 'Irish"
Not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand. I understood what you were saying the first time you said it and what you're saying is true.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I’ve spent a ton of time in Ireland. On nearly every single trip I had long, interesting conversations with Irish folks who were tremendously interested in my families history and what part of the country they were from. Maybe my experience was unique.

Reaction Score
I’ve spent a ton of time in Ireland. On nearly every single trip I had long, interesting conversations with Irish folks who were tremendously interested in my families history and what part of the country they were from. Maybe my experience was unique.
The Irish kids I knew were extremely surprised to see how popular St. Paddy's day was when I was at school and did not understand everyone who kept telling them "oh you're from Ireland? That's so cool, I'm Irish!" I had to explain to an entire group of Irish foreign exchange students what they were talking about lol

Reaction Score
Again, that's not what he's saying. They don't understand why myself and half my friends said we were Irish growing up and the other half said they're italian when we were all born and raised in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Again, that's not what he's saying. They don't understand why myself and half my friends said we were Irish growing up and the other half said they're italian when we were all born and raised in Connecticut.
Thank you. I feel like I'm going crazy. My entire point is that Hurley using his families heritage as some sort of "in" is useless at best because most of the world does not identify themselves the way Americans do.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't know who has a better grasp on how American ethnic pride is regarded by citizens of European countries, but I'd certainly like to know how many students are in a ton, how the collective (let alone mean or median) IQ of the Boneyard could be 85, and what a "ton of countries"* could even possibly mean.

These gems were all written with a great tone of confidence by people wanting to seem credible on other matters.

*EDIT: My bad. It was a "ton of time."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know who has a better grasp on how American ethnic pride is regarded by citizens of European countries, but I'd certainly like to know more how many students are in a ton, how the collective (let alone mean or median) IQ of the Boneyard could be 85, and what a ton of countries could even possibly mean. These were all written with a great tone of confidence by people seemingly wanting to seem credible on other matters.
I have always been under the impression that this is relatively common knowledge among those who have spent time interacting with foreign nationals. I have now found through this thread that it's not nearly as well known as I believed. I do, however, feel my "matter of fact" tone is warranted based on a life of interacting with more than a few dozen people born in Europe who have expressed confusion over the matter. It's also a relatively common thread and point of discussion in large online spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom