AIC | The Boneyard

AIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasket...ss_basketball_team_has_a_lo.html#incart_river

UMass had 3 suspended players but almost dropped their exhibition game to AIC.......

The AIC coach said Kellogg and JC were very similar in their styles.........it's okay to be nice to assure games in the coming years but c'mon now.........and I like Kellogg, local Springfield kid who has done well, but he's only a decent coach for now, at best!!!!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I see Ms. Miller is on the waiver wire. Somebody needs to pick her up ASAP !!

Reaction Score
Yes a change was in store, tossed her aside for Brooklyn

Reaction Score
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasket...ss_basketball_team_has_a_lo.html#incart_river

UMass had 3 suspended players but almost dropped their exhibition game to AIC.......

The AIC coach said Kellogg and JC were very similar in their styles.........it's okay to be nice to assure games in the coming years but c'mon now.........and I like Kellogg, local Springfield kid who has done well, but he's only a decent coach for now, at best!!!!

You left a few things out. Kellogg has zero NCAA violations, has no history of incoherent media rants and the YOUNG Jim Calhoun had no championships in Div 1. And I highly doubt Jim Calhoun would have suspended three players that included 2 starters and his best outside shooter. And at age 40 Jim Calhoun was a decent coach at best.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And at age 40 Jim Calhoun was a decent coach at best.

He was great at 40. He had already taken his team to the Big Dance twice. Not only that, his team won 1st round games. Think of it, two first round wins in a row (3 in 4 years) coaching in a league that didn't win another first round game until Vermont beat Cuse a few years ago only did so three times since. He had just recruited Reggie Lewis at age 40. More than a decent coach.

Reaction Score
You left a few things out. Kellogg has zero NCAA violations, has no history of incoherent media rants and the YOUNG Jim Calhoun had no championships in Div 1. And
highly doubt Jim Calhoun would have suspended three players that included 2 starters and his best outside shooter. And at age 40 Jim Calhoun was a decent coach at best.

Wow you continue to amaze yourself don't you?.......Please don't even start a thread with these 2 guys mentioned in the same breath......Kellogg was at Memphis when they lost their banner wasn't he? Oh right, he didn't know of anything did he clueless guy?

By the way you have to actually contend and be someone for anyone to see if any violations are occurring.........incoherent media rants? Don't you actually have to have media to have a rant in front of them? Ron Chimelis is your only media dopey!!!! At age 40 he was light years ahead of the guy on your sideline, not a bad thing because he just doesn't have it but don't try to make him out what he will never be.........watch his teams if you know basketball you know he's "pretty good and intense, passionate...." but his players do what they want. And congrats on the suspension of players for whatever reason for a fraking exhibition game......ever hear of Dyson, Wiggins and so many others who lost games in the middle of BE seasons? Do your homework before you spew your crap Clothy...I tried to help you out but you just won't learn......Amherst is a pimple on Storrs a**!!!!!

Reaction Score
You left a few things out. Kellogg has zero NCAA violations, has no history of incoherent media rants and the YOUNG Jim Calhoun had no championships in Div 1. And I highly doubt Jim Calhoun would have suspended three players that included 2 starters and his best outside shooter. And at age 40 Jim Calhoun was a decent coach at best.
Defensive, defensive.

A couple of things:
Jim Calhoun at 40 had won what is now "America East" twice, and had take his team to the NCAA second round twice. He was 160-103 (.608 winning percentage) with a team that had only just recently started playing DI basketball and had never been to an NCAA tournament. Kellogg at 40, in contrast, is 64-65 (.496) and has never been in the NCAAs, with a program that has some history (as opposed to Northeastern). So, one coach was demontrably better than "decent" so far as I can tell, and the other still has lots to prove.

The idea that Jim Calhoun would not have suspended players is laughable. You have no evidence that he wouldn't, you're simply asserting this with no evidence. I can think of times players have been suspended (Dyson-Wiggins in 2008) before big games.

Incoherent media rants? Really? You think that is a useful cudgel? Every major coach (except maybe K) has at one time or another blown up at the media. Give it a break.

Jim Calhoun's NCAA violations are BS (they're perfectly legal now). But they were dumb and they shouldn't have happened, but you're guy hasn't been coaching long enough for that to be a fair comparison. Talk to me in 30 years, and if your guys doesn't have some mud on his face (stupid or otherwise), we'll talk.

Reaction Score
Mau, you start this thread with a backhanded complement. And follow by guilt by association. And your Wiggins/Dyson comparison is extremely weak. Two players get suspended for being caught on campus with booze and pot by campus police. One already failed 2 drug tests. And driving without a license. A unspecified violation of teams rules that eventually would be made public and your coach knew it. He was obligated to suspend them. One of the same players transfers to to Umass and gets kicked off the team after 1 month at the start of Kellogg's 2nd season when he was badly in need of a pg. Didn't your coach put up with Wiggins crap for 2 seasons. He was ask to leave by your coach only after his 2nd season when Calhoun had suitable replacements. By all accounts our trio's violation was breaking curfew by remaining at the Mullins Center by the conclusion of the overtime hockey game Friday night when most of their teamates left before the end of regulation.

I believe the exact quote went like this. " I think Derek Kellogg is a young Jim Calhoun. They're both stand up guys." A nice complement but I don't really agree.

As for guilt by association, you don't see me taking shots at Ollie, do you. Because I do think he is a stand up guy, for now.

Reaction Score
Mau, you start this thread with a backhanded complement. And follow by guilt by association. And your Wiggins/Dyson comparison is extremely weak. Two players get suspended for being caught on campus with booze and pot by campus police. One already failed 2 drug tests. And driving without a license. A unspecified violation of teams rules that eventually would be made public and your coach knew it. He was obligated to suspend them. One of the same players transfers to to Umass and gets kicked off the team after 1 month at the start of Kellogg's 2nd season when he was badly in need of a pg. Didn't your coach put up with Wiggins crap for 2 seasons. He was ask to leave by your coach only after his 2nd season when Calhoun had suitable replacements. By all accounts our trio's violation was breaking curfew by remaining at the Mullins Center by the conclusion of the overtime hockey game Friday night when most of their teamates left before the end of regulation.

I believe the exact quote went like this. " I think Derek Kellogg is a young Jim Calhoun. They're both stand up guys." A nice complement but I don't really agree.

As for guilt by association, you don't see me taking shots at Ollie, do you. Because I do think he is a stand up guy, for now.

If I made a backhanded compliment to the rest of the BY why the hell do you care? I was respectful of Kellogg on the BONEYARD and that's all you need to know. He is not, never will be Jim Calhoun or even a sniff. Any other view of that by you shows stupidity. And he's done nothing else that other major college (you wouldn't know about this being a UMass fan Clothman) coaches have done period. Get over it, your jealousy is overcoming your intelligence.......sure that's pretty easy but still.........

Reaction Score
He was obligated to suspend them. One of the same players transfers to to Umass and gets kicked off the team after 1 month at the start of Kellogg's 2nd season when he was badly in need of a pg. Didn't your coach put up with Wiggins crap for 2 seasons. He was ask to leave by your coach only after his 2nd season when Calhoun had suitable replacements.

Two things. With Wiggins, you assume, without evidence, that he was doing the same things he did at the end of his time at UConn as he did in the beginning. It's made up on your part. You imagine that what he did to get kicked out of UMass happened repeatedly at UConn when there's no evidence.

If you don't accept Dyson/Wiggins, go with Antonio Kellogg, who was kicked off a team that desperately needed a backup point guard. Or Doug Wrenn. Or others. You make these assumptions that players are doing all sorts of awful things, and that Calhoun kept them on the team, when the facts suggest that the Ray Allens, the Kevin Ollies, the Caron Butlers, the Emeka Okafors (etc.) are the rule rather than the exception.

Statistically speaking, the quote is wrong. Perhaps Kellogg is a stand-up guy, but a young Jim Calhoun was a much better coach (and was/is a stand-up guy to boot).

Reaction Score
Two things. With Wiggins, you assume, without evidence, that he was doing the same things he did at the end of his time at UConn as he did in the beginning. It's made up on your part. You imagine that what he did to get kicked out of UMass happened repeatedly at UConn when there's no evidence.

If you don't accept Dyson/Wiggins, go with Antonio Kellogg, who was kicked off a team that desperately needed a backup point guard. Or Doug Wrenn. Or others. You make these assumptions that players are doing all sorts of awful things, and that Calhoun kept them on the team, when the facts suggest that the Ray Allens, the Kevin Ollies, the Caron Butlers, the Emeka Okafors (etc.) are the rule rather than the exception.

Statistically speaking, the quote is wrong. Perhaps Kellogg is a stand-up guy, but a young Jim Calhoun was a much better coach (and was/is a stand-up guy to boot).

Umm, not to much of an assumption when Wiggins was suspended in the second half of his sophomore season and he only played there 2 years. And the other dismissals where widely reported violations with legal ramifications. And that compares with a violation of curfew that will probably never make print? If he failed to suspend or dismiss these guys it mean any bigger, more embarrassing black eye for Uconn. A curfew violation, seriously?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kellogg is a good coach and if he wins this year, it would not shock me to see him move to a high-major job.

Reaction Score
Kellogg was already mentioned as a possible candidate to replace Seth Greenberg at v Va Tech back in April. Don't think he would go that route. Travis Ford is already on the hot seat at Oklahoma St. Plus he has roots in Western Mass and ties to the program. I think his wife is an alum as well

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Clothy is making a big deal out of Kellogg holding out some players in a game that didn't even count? LOL .

and I love that after it was pointed out that JC was indeed a much more successful coach at age 40, Clothy pretty much ignored that part of it. Wonder if umies will make the NCAA for the first time in 15 years? Your program sucks Clothy

Reaction Score
This has to be the most easily baitable group of people in the world.

I'm surprised HuskyManiac isn't all over this thread, he must be out stumbling around a parking lot somewhere, screaming at parked cars.

Reaction Score
This has to be the most easily baitable group of people in the world.

I'm surprised HuskyManiac isn't all over this thread, he must be out stumbling around a parking lot somewhere, screaming at parked cars.
True...true. I struggle when people say stupid things to restrain myself, and failed miserably here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom