OT: - Ahmad Nowell's HS Season Opener | The Boneyard

OT: Ahmad Nowell's HS Season Opener

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I swear this kid will be a dog for us. Probably won’t start as a freshman, but I’d expect at least a Solo type role for him.
I think he probably starts but we have a veteran to split the time. It all depends on what we get in the portal and if Diarra is back. We have to replace a lot.

Reaction Score
I think he probably starts but we have a veteran to split the time. It all depends on what we get in the portal and if Diarra is back. We have to replace a lot.

I like Diarra as a key bench piece. I think we could make it work with Nowell and Solo starting backcourt.

But a high level transfer plus Nowell in the freshmen Shabazz role would be even better. Diarra in the same role as today.

caw

Reaction Score
I like Diarra as a key bench piece. I think we could make it work with Nowell and Solo starting backcourt.

But a high level transfer plus Nowell in the freshmen Shabazz role would be even better. Diarra in the same role as today.
Small but strong backcourt trio there. All dogs too.

Reaction Score
Who starts at PG? Unless you think we’re bringing in a transfer, I think he starts.
We've hardly ever started a freshman at the point. I have to think we bring in another guard through the portal capable of starting at the point for a year while Nowell gets acclimated to high-level college basketball. Or Diarra keeps progressing and takes the starting role.

Reaction Score
We've hardly ever started a freshman at the point. I have to think we bring in another guard through the portal capable of starting at the point for a year while Nowell gets acclimated to high-level college basketball. Or Diarra keeps progressing and takes the starting role.

Some of our best PGs started as freshman, Williams, El Amin, Brown.

Reaction Score
Williams didn't start as a freshman. That was 04 and Taliek was still the starter. But yes - El Amin and Brown are the two exceptions. Taliek's freshman year was a rebuilding year where we only made the NIT -- so, although it may have helped his progression getting that experience, it didn't work out well for the team that year. El Amin admittedly did excel his freshman year and the team played great. Just saying it hasn't really been our identity, especially in recent years.

Reaction Score
Agree, definitely going to the portal again for a PG. We need experience. Having a freshman and sophomore as starters wont bode well for the season. Losing Cam, Tristen, Castle, and possibly Diarra is gonna be rough. I think we need two guards from the portal.

Reaction Score
I swear this kid will be a dog for us. Probably won’t start as a freshman, but I’d expect at least a Solo type role for him.
I'm pretty sure he is starting with both Newton and Castle leaving after this year. Who is going to start @PG? Diarra? LOL!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

El Amin and Wiliams were net positives. Brown was brutal until later part of his junior and senior year. He was physical and tough but he was a beast at over penetrating and getting in the air without knowing what he was going to do. Also, his FT shooting and jump shots were brutal.

As a fan he was great on the '04 team and should forever be remembered fondly. But his freshmen year was not good.

Back to the topic at hand. Great start for Nowell and it looks like Hurley and his staff have another player who oozes the skills and attitude Hurley loves for his players.

Reaction Score
The comeback against St. Joe’s Prep was impressive. He had 19 of his 34 points in the fourth quarter. They were down by as many as 15 in the second half and started the fourth quarter down 9.

I don’t think Imhotep is quite as loaded as other years, and they’ve had some injuries. They should still be good, especially locally, and it is 100% Ahmad’s team now.

Reaction Score
He'd already be the most explosive athlete on the roster since AJax.

He's not a better athlete than Solo. He's above average but hardly explosive like we saw from AJ. Ahmad's best attributes are his IQ and skill level. It's beautiful to watch him control a game despite being a generous 5'11

Reaction Score
Didn't El Amin have Moore to guide him?

I recall Brown was the only freshman who had to 'teach himself'. I remember when Khalid left early, freshman Taliek was going to be on his own. That was why I knew we would win the Championship that year because our 4 year point guard 'mastered' D1 basketball and could execute exactly what Calhoun wanted.

With that said, Diarra staying will benefit Nowell's adjustment, development and understanding of Hurley's system and D1 ball. I just hope Hurley (and Mamadou) keep Diarra from going into the portal.

Nothing sweeter than learning from a Champion.

Reaction Score
He's not a better athlete than Solo. He's above average but hardly explosive like we saw from AJ. Ahmad's best attributes are his IQ and skill level. It's beautiful to watch him control a game despite being a generous 5'11
From what I've seen he is more explosive on the break and off the dribble in isolation. Also looks to have better control of the ball when switching gears. Sure at 6'3" Solo can do some of the dunks and defend shots in HS similar to how AJax has at Uconn, but that isn't the sole factor in defining one's athletic abilities.

Reaction Score
From what I've seen he is more explosive on the break and off the dribble in isolation. Also looks to have better control of the ball when switching gears. Sure at 6'3" Solo can do some of the dunks and defend shots in HS similar to how AJax has at Uconn, but that isn't the sole factor in defining one's athletic abilities.

When I say athleticism, I'm talking about how fast and agile you are, how high you can jump, etc. Having control off the ball is a skill--not athleticism. He is not nearly as explosive as either of them. I'd keep in mind that many of the highlights you see are sped up by 10% to make the kids look faster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom