AG last year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AG last year

Reaction Score
I love AG, but he’s got a long way to go (offensively) before he even gets to Jalen Adams’ or Sterling Gibbs’ level, let alone one of the greatest college PGs in modern history.

I can tell you with certainty that he is better than Jalen and Sterling. Talent wise, he is up there with Boat, Bazz, etc. He needs to overcome the height disadvantage and find ways to beat the defense. He’s a great distributor, tough defender, and decent shooter. Looking forward to what he can do as our (potentially) offensive focal point next season.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to rule it out, but I can very quickly recall examples from every year he's been at UConn where he gets eaten alive in the paint.

Maybe this has been an issue since the first injury was before coming to UConn, but this doesn't surprise me from the eye test as he is consistently is blocked by larger defenders at the rim (I even recall lesser players during the Wagner game giving him trouble in this area).

I would recommend he study his predecessor Ryan Boatright who had a similar build and quickness getting to the rim how to address this issue. Interestingly, Boatright was at 47% during the National Championship season, but improved to 58% his senior year.

Boatright had unbelievable hops. AG doesn't. I don't think studying Board is going to help him much.

Reaction Score
Didn’t that kind of remind you of Kemba’s sophomore year? Where we saw flashes and the leadership qualities come out. I firmly believe he has it in him to have a 2010-2011 Kemba type year this year.

I get your point -- especially on leadership -- but here's the thing -- Kemba through two years showed NBA star level speed and quickness. AG has not shown that level of athleticism. While no one could have guessed Kemba would have made the jump he did from sophomore to junior year, there were signs that Kemba was capable of a bigger jump than AG may have in him.

That having been said, having shaken rust off and not having a senior Jalen Adams who must have made it difficult for AG to lead, it would not shock me at all if he takes serious steps forward.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I can tell you with certainty that he is better than Jalen and Sterling. Talent wise, he is up there with Boat, Bazz, etc. He needs to overcome the height disadvantage and find ways to beat the defense. He’s a great distributor, tough defender, and decent shooter. Looking forward to what he can do as our (potentially) offensive focal point next season.
He may be more talented than those two but he’s not as good as they were yet.

Reaction Score
He may be more talented than those two but he’s not as good as they were yet.

It’s hard to be as good as them when he is always injured. I’m talking talent alone. Give him a FULL offseason of work and you will see a big improvement. Trust me when I say this is a kid willing to do what it takes to get himself to the next level.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Remember those HS videos of Al dunking over people and blocking shots of guys a half a foot taller than him?

Reaction Score
What's the status of his eye? I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about his injury status since a couple days after it happened.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Dude, @WideRight! that was nice thank you. 13 minutes of no missed shots; complete bliss. Any chance you can work up some Carlton highlights? That would be worthy.

All credit goes to @tcf15 .. He is constantly putting out full season highlights of our favorite huskies. Hoping he's taking suggestions for his next comp! Josh Carlton, sophomore year, would be on repeat until the season opener for me!

Reaction Score
All credit goes to @tcf15 .. He is constantly putting out full season highlights of our favorite huskies. Hoping he's taking suggestions for his next comp! Josh Carlton, sophomore year, would be on repeat until the season opener for me!
Ya man, I want to study his moves, he definitely showed some this year.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Ya man, I want to study his moves, he definitely showed some this year.

Couldn't agree more. Hoping his MIP award has him looking for an all conference team appearance next year.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Will put that one together. Working on SR Jerome Dyson and SO Kemba right now.

Awesome!! Looking forward to all of them.

Reaction Score
"Now, wait a minute. We're talking about Kemba Walker now,"
"Yeah, I'm not putting anybody in Kemba Walker's class," "So ...
"You can put everybody down below that," "With a lot of respect to a lot of good players now, but we're talking about Kemba Walker."

Sound familiar?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can tell you with certainty that he is better than Jalen

JSMH
If he could come close to replicating JAs sophomore year I would be surprised

Reaction Score
I can tell you with certainty that he is better than Jalen

JSMH
If he could come close to replicating JAs sophomore year I would be surprised

You’re going to be surprised then (if he stays healthy).

Reaction Score
Alterique has plenty of hops, we've yet to see the real Alterique yet at UConn.
Yea, after a pretty decent freshman season I can’t wait to see what he does as a soph!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom