AG last year | The Boneyard

AG last year

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Didn’t that kind of remind you of Kemba’s sophomore year? Where we saw flashes and the leadership qualities come out. I firmly believe he has it in him to have a 2010-2011 Kemba type year this year.

Reaction Score
Didn’t that kind of remind you of Kemba’s sophomore year? Where we saw flashes and the leadership qualities come out. I firmly believe he has it in him to have a 2010-2011 Kemba type year this year.
Not really, Kemba was never injured. I love AG and he is due for a grear and healthy year but Kemba had one of the best college basketball seasons in the past decade or so, you might want to temper your expectations a bit.

Reaction Score
AG hasn’t had the ability to finish so far. If he can finish going to the hoop this coming season, his stature will increase dramatically.

So far, any comparison to Kemba is hard to take seriously. However, Kemba wasn’t Kemba his sophomore year either, so we’ll have to see. The leap Kemba made from 09’-10’ to 10’-11’ was unimaginable.

Reaction Score
AG hasn’t had the ability to finish so far. If he can finish going to the hoop this coming season, his stature will increase dramatically.

So far, any comparison to Kemba is hard to take seriously. However, Kemba wasn’t Kemba his sophomore year either, so we’ll have to see. The leap Kemba made from 09’-10’ to 10’-11’ was unimaginable.

This. His FG% at the rim was 42% last year...that's awful. For comparison, Jalen was at 63% last year, CV 65% last year, Tarin Smith 56%.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This. His FG% at the rim was 42% last year...that's awful. For comparison, Jalen was at 63% last year, CV 65% last year, Tarin Smith 56%.

Is that a function of protecting his shoulder?

Reaction Score
Is that a function of protecting his shoulder?

I'm not going to rule it out, but I can very quickly recall examples from every year he's been at UConn where he gets eaten alive in the paint.

Maybe this has been an issue since the first injury was before coming to UConn, but this doesn't surprise me from the eye test as he is consistently is blocked by larger defenders at the rim (I even recall lesser players during the Wagner game giving him trouble in this area).

I would recommend he study his predecessor Ryan Boatright who had a similar build and quickness getting to the rim how to address this issue. Interestingly, Boatright was at 47% during the National Championship season, but improved to 58% his senior year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not going to rule it out, but I can very quickly recall examples from every year he's been at UConn where he gets eaten alive in the paint.

Maybe this has been an issue since the first injury was before coming to UConn, but this doesn't surprise me from the eye test as he is consistently is blocked by larger defenders at the rim (I even recall lesser players during the Wagner game giving him trouble in this area).

I would recommend he study his predecessor Ryan Boatright who had a similar build and quickness getting to the rim how to address this issue. Interestingly, Boatright was at 47% during the National Championship season, but improved to 58% his senior year.

He gets swallowed up in the paint. I suspect at least some of that is because it’s harder to commit to contact when your shoulder separates in a strong breeze.

Reaction Score
I Honestly don’t think it had to do with his shoulder I think it’s just how much smaller he is than everyone else. And maybe a little bit of rust.

I'd say a lot of rust and it takes time to get back into his comfort zone. Also his limited playing time never gave him the extended opportunity to play against the bigger and quicker athletes he is playing against in college. AG needs to get back into his comfort zone AND while adapting his shot selection to the bigger frontcourts he faces.

Reaction Score
He gets swallowed up in the paint. I suspect at least some of that is because it’s harder to commit to contact when your shoulder separates in a strong breeze.

It's a valid point. I do feel like prior to the injury v. Wichita State he was playing without any limitations or hesitation from the shoulder but that's subjective.

He doesn't need to be Jalen Adams level good at the rim, just average would be enough along with quality outside shooting. Shabazz was in the 50% range during the 2014 title run, Kemba 55% in 2011. Just that 42% for Alterique really drags him down and invites defenses to overplay his outside shot, dragging his outside shooting down as well.

If he just can consistently hit a floater over bigs, that should do the trick.

Reaction Score

I was going to suggest the same thing. Boat made some great adjustments by either using a little more hesitation in his game instead of going straight line to the rim and also by working on his pull-ups and floaters to keep defenders guessing on his tendencies.

My memory is crap but I feel like Kemba probably had a jump in his rim finishing too.

Reaction Score
High end for AG would be how the Waters kid played for LSU last year, think he won at least 5 games late with drives, finishes or dishes. Don't think AG can get that good, Waters had body control and soft shooting stroke that is just hard to match. Can win with a better AG and some other guys stepping up; AG gets to Waters type year and look out.

Reaction Score
He's not afraid of contact still so it's not that. His biggest problem is he gets too deep and is always flipping the ball from below his height so there's basically about 10% chance no one is going to get a piece that far in. His one handed high floater is a nice weapon he needs to utilize that more often and understand when he's going to deep into the lane just keep the dribble and find someone or retreat.

He's a different player than Kemba, Boat or Waters even. Boat and Kemba were both able to go up at the hole, body up and try to finish in with the trees on occasion. Boat had that strong 2 foot stop and then strong lift into bodies as well as hops to find a way. AG is more finesse and thinks he can squeeze in a finger roll or flip and rarely does he finish that. As stated above he will improve his finish by using a mid range jumper or just that floater in '19-20. We will see a very good player no matter if he stays healthy. We're lucky to have a kid who's gone through so much, especially if healthy throughout.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score

Boatright developed a nasty pull up from 10-15' that was aided by his crazy vertical.. I'm not sure AG has that vertical, so i agree a floater is needed.. He's a good enough shooter, with a high enough arc that he'd be able to do it. Also, when you don't have a bunch of shooters on the perimeter defenses collapse making it more difficult to finish. Vital is a consistent help from outside but if you remember, Tyler went through a massive cold streak last year..

Reaction Score
Kemba did over penetrate and get himself into trouble early on. And AG has shown the same bad habit early in his career as well. Kemba finally developed a mid-range game to complement his abilty to go to the basket (along with some better decision making) and that made hm a superstar. Love to see AG repeat that process.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I love AG, but he’s got a long way to go (offensively) before he even gets to Jalen Adams’ or Sterling Gibbs’ level, let alone one of the greatest college PGs in modern history.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It's probably had an effect, but I wouldn't read too much into that. He was never hesitant to drive into the paint, which is something I would expect would be the case if he was worried about his shoulder. In fact, he probably drove the ball into the paint too much, given his lack of success there.

Reaction Score
The difference between Freshman Kemba and Junior Kemba was when he tightened up and started incorporating a killer 10-15 foot pull up and step back J. See: Junior Maui game vs Michigan state. See: Texas game winner. See: Pittsburgh game winner.

Its the difference between a defense knowing a little guy has to get to the rim and just waiting for him there to stuff him, and a defense having to decide which of two bad options to give up and being able to defend neither.

If AG can develop that and stay healthy, he can be a great player. If not, he'll be fine but we should temper our expectations.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about him. I expect his assist numbers to go way up. He's an efficient outside shooter and I honestly don't really want him attacking the basket with any thought beyond drawing the defense and dishing to Carlton, Akok or Sid for a huge dunk or kicking it out to Vital, Polley, Bouknight or Gaffney for a 3.

Not sure why people are trying to make him something else. That isn't his game. I expect he will get better at scoring at the rim, especially as he is physically more comfortable. But the truth is, an offense based on short guards scoring at the rim is the offense of a losing team. We relied on it the last few years because it was Jalen's best skill and nobody else could score. The emergence of Carlton changed that already late last year.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing I think he's missing for the Kemba comparison is he doesn't yet have the killer instinct. Once he starts creating and willing us to victory when we're down 5 late in big games we can allow that comparison. He's got the skill set and if he stays healthy he can get there.

Reaction Score
He's not afraid of contact still so it's not that. His biggest problem is he gets too deep and is always flipping the ball from below his height so there's basically about 10% chance no one is going to get a piece that far in. His one handed high floater is a nice weapon he needs to utilize that more often and understand when he's going to deep into the lane just keep the dribble and find someone or retreat.

He's a different player than Kemba, Boat or Waters even. Boat and Kemba were both able to go up at the hole, body up and try to finish in with the trees on occasion. Boat had that strong 2 foot stop and then strong lift into bodies as well as hops to find a way. AG is more finesse and thinks he can squeeze in a finger roll or flip and rarely does he finish that. As stated above he will improve his finish by using a mid range jumper or just that floater in '19-20. We will see a very good player no matter if he stays healthy. We're lucky to have a kid who's gone through so much, especially if healthy throughout.
Even Jalen Adams stated that "Alterique finds seams that I don't even see". It's true, he gets in too deep, because he can, using his athleticism, size, footwork, crazy handle, and instincts. He's sliding into spaces other players can't navigate, and he's doing it mostly with finesse and no contact. I'm not sure everybody realizes how skilled AG is at getting to the bucket.

Trouble is he gets in there, but he can't get his shots to fall because of the traffic, the multiple big bodies. This is D1 college ball, not AAU/high school. This part of his game has not translated yet, but hopefully this is the year.

He really has to figure this out, change his tactics, shoot a better percentage on his drives. AG is so skilled at attacking the rim, if he can figure this out, he'll really improve his game. I'm waiting on it.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My problem with the wishful thinking of the OP is that it can morph into unrealistic expectations. 2011 Kemba was the best player in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom