AG & CV 4-25 from the field | The Boneyard

AG & CV 4-25 from the field

Reaction Score
At least they didn't take 40 shots.

And Josh was 4-12. I expected him to struggle after how he finished against Buffalo and with Xavier's bigger defenders and tougher interior D.

Reaction Score
Carlton couldn’t dunk the ball alone in the paint. AG still thinks it’s a good idea to drive into 4 guys who are 8 inches taller than him. CV wants to jack up contested 3s off the dribble. These guys have way to big of egos and think they’re the best. At least Vital played good D

Reaction Score
Good D? Like all the 3’s shot right in his face?? All the blow-by’s. Come on. I will say he gets his steals!
He does positive things on the defensive end. 9 DRBs. When they started doubling Jones low, CV made some nice rotations.

Reaction Score
Game was lost when Carlton got stuffed after catching the ball completely alone in the paint. Could have extended a late 4 point lead to 6 instead they cut it to 2 a couple minutes later they hit the bogus 3.

Well, if it wasn't that he would have been called for traveling. I thought he might become a factor by now with three years experience, but he has terrible hands and his footwork around the basket leaves a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
Well, if it wasn't that he would have been called for traveling. I thought he might become a factor by now with three years experience, but he has terrible hands and his footwork around the basket leaves a lot to be desired.
Could be the understatement of the year!

Reaction Score
I would love for DH to take a page out of Calhoun’s book and yank these guys for making horrible decisions on both sides of the court, but I don’t think that’s part of his coaching style.

Reaction Score
Carlton takes all his game shots like he's doing warm-ups. Lazy like in a lay-up line. I haven't seen him score aggressively in forever. 4-12 when your shots are within 4 feet of the hoop and 5 turnovers? He should have had 20 points that game.

Reaction Score
It’s the quality of their shots that are maddening. AG did get to line last night, but I lost count of the number of drives to the hoop with the double-clutch that resulted in a block or a shot that grabbed next to nothing or went into the underside of the rim. AG is not playing like a PG, he ignores the hot hand while trying to shoot his way out of a slump with low quality shots.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is shooting 20% for the SEASON. It will work against mediocre opponents but Hurley needs to fix this. The good news is we have the talent with other players. I don’t understand what happened to him.

Reaction Score
It’s the quality of their shots that are maddening. AG did get to line last night, but I lost count of the number of drives to the hoop with the double-clutch that resulted in a block or a shot that grabbed next to nothing or went into the underside of the rim. AG is not playing like a PG, he ignores the hot hand while trying to shoot his way out of a slump with low quality shots.

He is not going to shoot his way out of slump with forced drives in the paint. He needs to pull-up or kick. He does this constantly and every team knows it, we know it, yet he cant figure it out. Why the staff is not on his arse about this, i dont understand.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's keep blaming it on Ollie thats brilliant. Even mentioning the name baffles me at this point let it go let's let our coach Hurley coach them up. Head bang
Brendan Adams this season is proof that Hurley can coach. CV and AG are proof that Ollies guys just flat out have zero ability to be coached at a high level

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams this season is proof that Hurley can coach. CV and AG are proof that Ollies guys just flat out have zero ability to be coached at a high level
I think its more that these players have losing culture in their veins. Sad but that can be toxic. Winners want to win and will sacrifice themselves at any cost. Winners also know their strengths and add them to the team, they also know their weaknesses (limitations) and don't use them for the team's disadvantage. Calhoun was a master at knowing both in all of his players, and having play within themselves.

Hurley knows how to win, but the leftovers need to trust him. They need an exorcism which may be past Hurley's job description.

I'm excited at our future, the losing culture will soon be gone. I just feel sorry for those players who endured the worst of UConn.

Reaction Score
Carlton couldn’t dunk the ball alone in the paint. AG still thinks it’s a good idea to drive into 4 guys who are 8 inches taller than him. CV wants to jack up contested 3s off the dribble. These guys have way to big of egos and think they’re the best. At least Vital played good D
CV is great at D and he’s a good rebounder. And if he finds his offensive game, he’s got a pretty 3 point shot and it comes in bursts. He hasn’t found that yet. I suspect it’s because we are playing a much slower game with AG running it (we used to have JA running it).

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If AG and CV continue this low production and the season starts to go south Hurley has to start Adams and Bouknight
And JG first off the bench!

Reaction Score

So wrong but have at it. CV has been better because of DH although last night not so much. AG does the same stuff but is never taken out just like CV at times. Maybe take them out after 2 whack jobs in a row? Just a thought.

Reaction Score
So wrong but have at it. CV has been better because of DH although last night not so much. AG does the same stuff but is never taken out just like CV at times. Maybe take them out after 2 whack jobs in a row? Just a thought.
How is it wrong? CV this season is the same old CV. Does a lot of things most 6' guards cannot do, but also makes mistakes freshman don't even make. AG has seemingly still not learned that he is a midget with zero finishing ability. Meanwhile Brendan Adams went from a guy who you never wanted to see near the ball to a guy that you want getting the ball over your seniors in crunch time.

Reaction Score
How is it wrong? CV this season is the same old CV. Does a lot of things most 6' guards cannot do, but also makes mistakes freshman don't even make. AG has seemingly still not learned that he is a midget with zero finishing ability. Meanwhile Brendan Adams went from a guy who you never wanted to see near the ball to a guy that you want getting the ball over your seniors in crunch time.

The coach needs to coach. Why are AG and CV still on the court if as you say he can't coach them? Don't blame Ollie for that you sound ridiculous even bringing his name up. DH needs to figure out how to stop them from bad habits even if it is to keep them on the bench. Simple. He's the boss it's now on him no one else. They have some talented people coach them to victory when up 5 with just over a minute left. Don't allow Vital to take a 3 with lots of time left on the hot clock and certainly do not put the ball in Ags hands to end it.

Reaction Score
The coach needs to coach. Why are AG and CV still on the court if as you say he can't coach them? Don't blame Ollie for that you sound ridiculous even bringing his name up. DH needs to figure out how to stop them from bad habits even if it is to keep them on the bench. Simple. He's the boss it's now on him no one else. They have some talented people coach them to victory when up 5 with just over a minute left. Don't allow Vital to take a 3 with lots of time left on the hot clock and certainly do not put the ball in Ags hands to end it.
I agree they shouldnt have even been on the court. Thats 100% on DH. My point is that it seems like these upperclassmen are not coachable at all. Hurley probably trusts them to not make the mistakes that they make on a regular basis. Perhaps that trust should be gone after last night

Reaction Score
I agree they shouldnt have even been on the court. Thats 100% on DH. My point is that it seems like these upperclassmen are not coachable at all. Hurley probably trusts them to not make the mistakes that they make on a regular basis. Perhaps that trust should be gone after last night

With you to a point though some have gotten better. I am simply amazed a good kid, hard working kid like AG just continues to do the same damn unsuccessful stuff gam in game out. I mean I hated getting my shot blocked how happy can he be when he goes to deep it never sees the damn rim? Time for DH to pull them like he would a freshman I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
Time to turn the page; go with the young guys ... use the seniors off the bench. The game unraveled at about the 4 minute mark. CV took one of his selfish shots (you could see it coming a mile away); Carlton could not score on a wide open pass in the paint, then he missed a chip shot, followed by another shellfish CV play. And then AG get stuffed and or stripped a few plays in a row. That's how you make a 6 point lead disappear. Credit AG for making foul shots, and CV for a few steals and rebounds ... but I'd rather see what Gaffney can do ... we know what's going to happen when AG takes the ball too deep into the bigs - Turn over or block....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom