After Two Decades, W.N.B.A. Still Struggling for Relevance | The Boneyard

After Two Decades, W.N.B.A. Still Struggling for Relevance

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From its start in 1997, the Women’s National Basketball Association has had enthusiastic fans looking for good basketball and seeing in the league affirmation of the goal of sports equality.

But as its 20th season gets underway, the W.N.B.A.’s modest attendance and television viewership (just below 200,000 on ESPN’s networks last season) illuminate a stubborn imbalance between men’s and women’s professional leagues, adding to the expanding debate about the place of women’s sports in society.

These anxieties have increased more than 40 years after the federal law known as Title IX opened the way for millions of girls to play sports. The women’s professional leagues they move on to are still struggling to develop and hold lasting public interest.

Do any WNBA teams make money? Half of the W.N.B.A.'s 12 teams lose money, and they benefit from revenue generated by the N.B.A.'s national television and sponsorship deals. “It hasn't made money,” “Its prospects of making money, at that time and even today, are still slim.” May 28, 2016.

The Average Salary of a Women's Professional Basketball Player.

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Without having read the article, my feelings are that:
1. The WNBA is a very good product.
2. The WNBA needs to place emphasis on and highly market its stars. They need to show up in commercials, sports shows, posters, other athletic events, etc.
3. Women's tennis seems to be the only women's sport generating big money and paying accordingly. Though it is sexist and has been admonished/criticized heavily for it, women's tennis has strongly emphasized the physical attractiveness of its players. The very nice outfits, IMO, enhances the appeal along those lines.
4. It would be nice if celebrities showed up regularly at games. There was some pushback here when Dak Prescott got the lion's share of TV facetime two seasons ago, but that is exactly how the game should be marketed; celebrity in the stands, point them out.
5. Celebrity ownership would also go a long way.
6. New York has opted to play in a smaller arena. Washington will follow suit next year. Maybe that is the way to go. There have been complaints about White Plains, but the area population can more than adequately provide an attendance base comparable to Long Island which has had and will again have a major hockey team, and has had an NBA team. The arena in White Plains, while it does not sit atop Penn Station, is still within close proximity of the Metro North station and its adjacent transportation hub. I think going small can work.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Agree 100% on smaller venues. Some teams average 10000 fans and they can keep an arena full thats great but most need to just go somewhere smaller. I think that will help tremendously.

Reaction Score
That article on salaries is seven years old. Data from 2011.

And, no, the WNBA management has not yet opened its books to show how much they're earning. Open the books!!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just comments and questions no disagreement.
"VAUConnFan, post: 2797350, member: 501"]Without having read the article, my feelings are that:
2. The WNBA needs to place emphasis on and highly market its stars. They need to show up in commercials, sports shows, posters, other athletic events, etc. How will this generate interest that "sticks" beyond watching one or two games. If their is no interest women's sports from the available 140M female viewers, how can interest engendered in a male audience? Get the women to go and drag their male spouses and lovers to the games.
3. Women's tennis seems to be the only women's sport generating big money and paying accordingly. Though it is sexist and has been admonished/criticized heavily for it, I find this interesting since most of the sexism comes from the female tennis players not wanting to wear the conservative Wimbledon tennis outfits. So are the female tennis players getting this criticism for their skimp outfits? Probably not from the seats and home coaches occupies by male viewers. women's tennis has strongly emphasized the physical attractiveness of its players. The very nice outfits, IMO, enhances the appeal along those lines. Can't change millions of years of evolution overnight. Men like sexy babes. So can you guess why young males (most any male) can't get behind the WNBA's lesbian marketing? Sure they should grow up but it will take long time if ever. Breath holding not advised. :rolleyes:
4. It would be nice if celebrities showed up regularly at games. There was some pushback here when Dak Prescott got the lion's share of TV facetime two seasons ago, but that is exactly how the game should be marketed; celebrity in the stands, point them out. My take is celebrities flap their lips but don't really take action unless there is exposure for them from a large audience. NBA LA Show Time? Oh yeah! Lot's of media coverage. Minn, Lynx? Not so much. Celebs aren't missionaries.
5. Celebrity ownership would also go a long way. How does this translate to their followers attending WNBA games?
6. New York has opted to play in a smaller arena. Washington will follow suit next year. Maybe that is the way to go. Good bye media coverage! Will the media trek out to small audience burg to cover the WNBA when I won't cover the WNBA in their backyard? There have been complaints about White Plains, but the area population can more than adequately provide an attendance base comparable to Long Island which has had and will again have a major hockey team, and has had an NBA team. The arena in White Plains, while it does not sit atop Penn Station, is still within close proximity of the Metro North station and its adjacent transportation hub. I think going small can work. It can ... for small audiences.

Reaction Score
The situation with women's tennis is a very interesting one. The model there is to hold as many events as possible that are integrated with the men's tour. Years ago is was just just the four majors, but now it's an increasing number of other key tournaments such as Indian Wells, Miami, etc. where the women and men play alongside one another (but in separate draws).

As soon it's a co-event, the prize money becomes equalized, without reference to relative fan demand for the two products for example. Plus, the exposure of women's tennis to new fans, television, advertising and promotion all benefit. This has worked extremely well for the WTA, and may offer lessons for other women's sports like basketball, even if the template cannot be exactly duplicated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The situation with women's tennis is a very interesting one. The model there is to hold as many events as possible that are integrated with the men's tour. Years ago is was just just the four majors, but now it's an increasing number of other key tournaments such as Indian Wells, Miami, etc. where the women and men play alongside one another (but in separate draws).

As soon it's a co-event, the prize money becomes equalized, without reference to relative fan demand for the two products for example. Plus, the exposure of women's tennis to new fans, television, advertising and promotion all benefit. This has worked extremely well for the WTA, and may offer lessons for other women's sports like basketball, even if the template cannot be exactly duplicated.
You are correct that the men and women are be out by integrated more; however, your numbers are a little innacurate specifically to Indian Wells and Miami. The men and women have been playing alongside each other since the 90s i know for Miami.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree 100% on smaller venues. Some teams average 10000 fans and they can keep an arena full thats great but most need to just go somewhere smaller. I think that will help tremendously.

Agreed. To your point, it costs less in "operating fees" to play in an arena that seats 8,000 than an arena that seats 18,000. Down size where applicable and reasonable. I read some where that the WNBA players are only receiving 20% of the profits. I realize that not everyone is a fan of the W, however, there is a large enough fan base that can and will support the WNBA. It has for over 20 years. I would like to see that percentage raised to 30%. This will be tough if they're already operating at a loss. Which is causing some players to say "Show me the money".

The 2018 maximum WNBA salary is about $115,000. Players make many multiples of that abroad (Taurasi was getting paid nearly $1.5 million when she sat out in 2015). No one's asking for NBA-level dollars, as that business model is vastly different. But nearly all WNBA players have multiple jobs, and not in the sense of maintaining endorsement deals and national team commitments (though many of them do). In addition to their WNBA responsibilities, they also coach, call games, manage ice cream shops, publish books, run camps or some combination thereof.

Find other untapped sources of revenue. Form a round table of successful millionaires across the country to volunteer to participate in a "think tank" to come up with some innovative ways to increase public awareness, increase the over all fan base and attract new corporate sponsors, and new untapped sources of revenue. Where there's a will, there's a way. The W definitely has a will (need). There's got to be an answer, all they need to do is find it. There are some brilliant business and financial minds out there, that would help if asked. Most of them would love the challenge. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the WNBA teams with attendance issues should move to mid-sized cities with established college WBB fan bases. I think the Connecticut Sun model could also work in Columbia, Knoxville, Louisville, etc. For instance, Atlanta's attendance sucks.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I have noticed. That some WNBA cards are increasing in value. There is a fan base. I think a team in Las Vegas helps.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just comments and questions no disagreement.
"VAUConnFan, post: 2797350, member: 501"]Without having read the article, my feelings are that:
2. The WNBA needs to place emphasis on and highly market its stars. They need to show up in commercials, sports shows, posters, other athletic events, etc. How will this generate interest that "sticks" beyond watching one or two games. If their is no interest women's sports from the available 140M female viewers, how can interest engendered in a male audience? Get the women to go and drag their male spouses and lovers to the games.
3. Women's tennis seems to be the only women's sport generating big money and paying accordingly. Though it is sexist and has been admonished/criticized heavily for it, I find this interesting since most of the sexism comes from the female tennis players not wanting to wear the conservative Wimbledon tennis outfits. So are the female tennis players getting this criticism for their skimp outfits? Probably not from the seats and home coaches occupies by male viewers. women's tennis has strongly emphasized the physical attractiveness of its players. The very nice outfits, IMO, enhances the appeal along those lines. Can't change millions of years of evolution overnight. Men like sexy babes. So can you guess why young males (most any male) can't get behind the WNBA's lesbian marketing? Sure they should grow up but it will take long time if ever. Breath holding not advised. :rolleyes:
4. It would be nice if celebrities showed up regularly at games. There was some pushback here when Dak Prescott got the lion's share of TV facetime two seasons ago, but that is exactly how the game should be marketed; celebrity in the stands, point them out. My take is celebrities flap their lips but don't really take action unless there is exposure for them from a large audience. NBA LA Show Time? Oh yeah! Lot's of media coverage. Minn, Lynx? Not so much. Celebs aren't missionaries.
5. Celebrity ownership would also go a long way. How does this translate to their followers attending WNBA games?
6. New York has opted to play in a smaller arena. Washington will follow suit next year. Maybe that is the way to go. Good bye media coverage! Will the media trek out to small audience burg to cover the WNBA when I won't cover the WNBA in their backyard? There have been complaints about White Plains, but the area population can more than adequately provide an attendance base comparable to Long Island which has had and will again have a major hockey team, and has had an NBA team. The arena in White Plains, while it does not sit atop Penn Station, is still within close proximity of the Metro North station and its adjacent transportation hub. I think going small can work. It can ... for small audiences.
232enu.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the WNBA teams with attendance issues should move to mid-sized cities with established college WBB fan bases. I think the Connecticut Sun model could also work in Columbia, Knoxville, Louisville, etc. For instance, Atlanta's attendance sucks.
is there a hug Gay/Lesbian population in ATL?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I read some where that the WNBA players are only receiving 20% of the profits. This will be tough if they're already operating at a loss.
I believe that was 20% of revenue. If they are operating at a loss, there is no profit.

Now whether that is true or not is one reason to "open the books".

The 2018 maximum WNBA salary is about $115,000. Players make many multiples of that abroad (Taurasi was getting paid nearly $1.5 million when she sat out in 2015).
Well one, the overseas season is usually longer. But the bigger thing is most of those clubs who pay the big salaries are either a billionaire who just wants to show off or part of a larger club (Football, basketball). So the WBB part of it isn't making any money either. They just don't mind losing money.

NBA teams don't really seem interested in doing that.

Reaction Score
Just watched two games on msg ... the commentators spent 3/4 of their game time interviewing WNBA reps and completely ignoring the game?? TV is the key to popularity. Then a large portion of the rest of the time was spent telling us what great people the players are. If the commentators are so uninterested in basketball , how do they expect to stimulate any interest in the WNBA .

Reaction Score
Just watched two games on msg ... the commentators spent 3/4 of their game time interviewing WNBA reps and completely ignoring the game?? TV is the key to popularity. Then a large portion of the rest of the time was spent telling us what great people the players are. If the commentators are so uninterested in basketball , how do they expect to stimulate any interest in the WNBA .
Agreed. Somewhere along the line sports media decided that the event was not dramatic enough on it's own and should play second fiddle to the commentators. Was watching a game recently with 3 announcers, which in my opinion is two too many. I believe it was LaChina Robinson, Kara Lawson, and I don't recall who else, nor both teams playing. Blah blah she's a pillar of her community blah blah works harder than anyone else blah blah and on and on and on about everything but the game going on. I'd cringe very time one of them asked another a question, as now the (never short and simple) response would take precedence over whatever play-by-play was missed on the court. I recall one of the teams was MN, as, while watching the unusual and noteworthy spectacle of Big Syl getting her shot stuffed down low, you wouldn't know it because Kara was droning on to complete whatever useless point she was making. The only thing worse than a droning commentator is a screaming commentator. The vein-popping delivery doesn't add drama for me, but it sure makes you sound like a lunatic, (I'm talking to you Seattle Storm male announcer dude. Too lazy to Google your name)! I've a thousand other sports commentator rants, but bottom line... you're there to announce the event, not BE the event!

Reaction Score
Having 4 grand-daughters I am sad to say, but woman sports are going no where past recreational level. While individual sports like tennis and golf have some success, team sports do not fare well at all. Lets look at the big sports: football none; hockey once every 4 years!; soccer once every 4 years!, baseball none; about beach ball, only every 4 years for the same reason than tennis (not flattering) ; field hockey, lacrosse, track and field; softball; volleyball all college level only. Here in CT we are lucky to have a pro and a college women basketball but the attendance is not at the level it should be for either team. At the Uconn games last year the marketing and the timing of many games (Sat & Sun afternoon) help a lot to bring a young crowd and us bringing our grand-daughters. Of course a lot of the increase was also due to large group having major discount. Never-less, at least they had the crowd. I would not encourage our grand-daughters pursuing a future in pro sports. Play as many sports as you can while in college but get a degree with a lucrative future in mind.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I like Lisa Borders, and found the interview with her at Mohegan Sun to be very pleasant for the first three or four minutes, But it droned on and on for what felt like the entire quarter, and became a real distraction as the booth completely ignored the game action on the floor.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, but they obviously aren't supporting the Dream, for some reason. A lot of Atlanta teams struggle with attendance, however.
may have good TV services... no blackouts

Reaction Score
I believe that WNBA will continue to struggle until NCAAW games become more popular. At least the two are related.
One way to make NCAAW more popular would be to make it more competitive. So 13 players per team. That would increase the NCAAW audience (hopefully) 5-10% and a corresponding increase in WNBA attendance.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I believe that WNBA will continue to struggle until NCAAW games become more popular. At least the two are related.
One way to make NCAAW more popular would be to make it more competitive. So 13 players per team. That would increase the NCAAW audience (hopefully) 5-10% and a corresponding increase in WNBA attendance.

There isn't the depth of talent in NCAA WBB that there is in MBB. You're correct that reducing the number of scholarships would result in more good teams, the real question is why more young girls don't play sports at a high level. Is it poor coaching in the middle and high school years? Parents discouraging girls from playing sports?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom