After Two Decades, W.N.B.A. Still Struggling for Relevance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

After Two Decades, W.N.B.A. Still Struggling for Relevance

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I believe that WNBA will continue to struggle until NCAAW games become more popular. At least the two are related.
One way to make NCAAW more popular would be to make it more competitive. So 13 players per team. That would increase the NCAAW audience (hopefully) 5-10% and a corresponding increase in WNBA attendance.

Another way to make WCBB more competitive would be to eliminate the perennial crappy teams from D1 competition or at least divide D1 teams into subdivisions.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another way to make WCBB more competitive would be to eliminate the perennial crappy teams from D1 competition or at least divide D1 teams into subdivisions.

Like they do in high school. i.e, Division 1,2,3, etc. They could have their own championship playoff games. There many top 25 teams that don't have legitimate chance of winning a championship. Dividing them into subdivisions would give them hope of winning a championship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There isn't the depth of talent in NCAA WBB that there is in MBB. You're correct that reducing the number of scholarships would result in more good teams, the real question is why more young girls don't play sports at a high level. Is it poor coaching in the middle and high school years? Parents discouraging girls from playing sports?
girls want a "social" life these days! I don't think they are interested in being sweaty year-round

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Like they do in high school. i.e, Division 1,2,3, etc. They could have their own championship playoff games. There many top 25 teams that don't have legitimate chance of winning a championship. Dividing them into subdivisions would give them hope of winning a championship.

They all have a chance of winning a conference championship.

Reaction Score
I recently watched a couple of WNBA games, my first of the season although annually I buy the League Pass to make a small contribution to the game. I watched Seattle against Minnesota and the Sun against Dallas.

It doesn’t look to me as the WNBA isn’t progressing due to a dearth of talent. It is more probable to me that the product isn’t attractive. The League is producing an ersatz NBA. If you want to watch banging and acrobatics, the men’s game is much more appealing.

I watched Seattle because I wanted see Breanna. She continues to play her own game and it is a thing of beauty to watch. And she has molded that team in her image with the obvious help of Sue and Jewel.

Minnesota in contrast continues to pound on people. Seattle players cutting through the lane were mugged. And Lynx players were camping in the lane on offense to help Syl get free. It reminded me of the NHL before the European players started to arrive; dump the puck in the zone and muscle for the rebounds.

So, to me, the WNBA is now what it is: a men’s game played by women. This will continue to have a marginal draw and so a marginal news presence. But, if the NHL can change its product to emphasize skating and passing, so can the W. Will it? Doubtful...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom