After Josh Carlton beefed up for this season, UConn will look for him to become more lean and athletic in the offseason | Page 3 | The Boneyard

After Josh Carlton beefed up for this season, UConn will look for him to become more lean and athletic in the offseason

Reaction Score
Bulking up didn’t work out for Josh Carlton, not the way he nor UConn hoped. So next spring and summer, he will try to go in the other direction.

"There are some things where he can’t address until the offseason,” coach Dan Hurley said, “the physical stuff, get himself lighter, leaner and being more athletic. The muscle he’s put on has maybe worked against him this year.”

I'm curious why they thought bulking up that much in one offseason would work for Carlton. Why does it work for some basketball players and not others?

Feel a little better about him, since lack of quickness and effort appears in large part due to chowing down probably quite a few times during day. May become a useful piece next year.

Reaction Score
Adding 25 lbs to a guy who is marginally athletic never seemed like a good

Brendan‘s brother Jaylen is a only 6’ but is a muscular 235 and one of the top PG's in G league . So BA might have a genetic element that most kids don’t .

I was looking up our Jalen and got his bio in Error.
Our JA is 6’3” and around 195lbs

Brendans brother is not 235. He's listed at
There is a 0% chance that Jaylen Adams weighs in at 235

Listed at 6' 225lbs

Looks just like his brother, too. Fantastic athletic frame and a really sneaky level of athleticism you don't usually see.

Reaction Score
Your final sentence begins, "This is not to beat up on Carlton..."

Is that 'burying the lead,' or a disclaimer that your legal department advised and should have been in fine print?

Reaction Score
Not only what u got (muscle), but also what u do w it.

Reaction Score
this is nothing but good news. josh was one of the few bright spots on the team last year, maybe even the only one. remember some of these stat lines?
@cincy- 10 pts (4 of 5)/9 rebs/2 blks
v tulane- 18 pts (9 of 10)/8 rebs/1 blk
v wichita- 8 pts (4 of 4)/6 rebs/4 blks
v ECU- 20 pts (7 of 11)/16 rebs/3 blks
@ temple- 18 pts (7 of 13)/11 rebs/1 blk

he had another half dozen or so games just like this or better and averaged 9/6/1.8 (60FG%) on the season.

i've been as down on him as anyone this year, but the higher your hopes are the higher they can fall. the suspected reason for his regression has been confirmed and it should be completely reversible. i'm optimistic about getting the carlton of old back for next year- penciled in as the starting center alongside whaley (unless we get sonogo)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you watch highlights of Carlton from last season, it's alarming how much quicker and more explosive he looks. I mean, he was never a particularly quick or explosive player, but it's much worse this year.

I'm looking forward to Carlton putting in the work necessary to become a more effective player next year. He is obviously a dedicated guy in the gym.

For example, check the second jump here on the rebound put-back. Have we seen any move this quick all year? I feel like he had way more dunks last year as well.

Did have a single dunk this year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom