After Josh Carlton beefed up for this season, UConn will look for him to become more lean and athletic in the offseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

After Josh Carlton beefed up for this season, UConn will look for him to become more lean and athletic in the offseason

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
So I will let others chime in - Is that a criticism of Sal?
This and two significant injuries is not a good launching pad to promote your S&C program.
Confirmed

Reaction Score
Adding 25 lbs to a guy who is marginally athletic never seemed like a good
Do we not view BA as a S&C success?
Brendan‘s brother Jaylen is a only 6’ but is a muscular 235 and one of the top PG's in G league . So BA might have a genetic element that most kids don’t .

I was looking up our Jalen and got his bio in Error.
Our JA is 6’3” and around 195lbs

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Josh is slow and his vertical is weak. The issue that I have is His basketball IQ; slow to make his decision on how he is going to get to the hoop, and he struggles to pass it out of the post. He should watch film of Whaley.

Reaction Score
If Carlton did lose quickness, and the S&C program was measuring all aspects of performance including quickness, and they had made a strategic decision with participation of Josh and the coach to sacrifice quickness for strength, and that decision didn't work out, then it's not a criticism of Sal.

If quickness wasn't being measured or assessed, and Sal didn't know how his program was affecting a key factor in basketball performance, then it's a criticism of Sal.
He got 13 rebounds against Memphis. It didn’t bother him then and in other games. Unfortunately it may be mental.

Reaction Score
If Carlton did lose quickness, and the S&C program was measuring all aspects of performance including quickness, and they had made a strategic decision with participation of Josh and the coach to sacrifice quickness for strength, and that decision didn't work out, then it's not a criticism of Sal.

If quickness wasn't being measured or assessed, and Sal didn't know how his program was affecting a key factor in basketball performance, then it's a criticism of Sal.
This is absolutely on target.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks Carlton's lack of quickness isn't physical (he's always been slow) but not reading plays well? He always seems a couple moments behind before he can react. This routinely puts him behind the play. It's less a function of speed and more a function of reacting to what is developing too slowly to be in a good position.

Reaction Score
There are times when it seems Josh struggles to track the ball on rebounds and also once his arms go up he is slow to get to a ball that is not right to him. It may be physics which I was terrible at learning but once he is spread out physically he is slow at this weight. Get to 245 and he may be a real PITA to opponents as he blocks shots fairly well right now. . One thing Josh needs to focus on in the offseason is his free throws.

Reaction Score
Confirmed

Wait, what? The S&C program is running independent of the coaching staff? That needs to be corrected ASAP; I thought Hurley was in charge of the program, year-round. I'm guessing Sal thinks Bouknight can improve by adding 3-4 inches in height and is preparing to stretch him out as soon as the season ends. Here's hoping Coach is able to regain control. :eek:

Reaction Score
Wait, what? The S&C program is running independent of the coaching staff? That needs to be corrected ASAP; I thought Hurley was in charge of the program, year-round. I'm guessing Sal thinks Bouknight can improve by adding 3-4 inches in height and is preparing to stretch him out as soon as the season ends. Here's hoping Coach is able to regain control. :eek:
You said what I have been meaning to post. I'm sure Sal was directed.

Reaction Score
This pretty much confirms that Josh isn't transferring next year. I know there was a little speculation on if he would to open up the other scholarships that Hurley has mentioned. Looks like it's not Carlton.

Reaction Score
This stuff is puzzling. I like our coaches and believe that they will bring hoops back to prominence, but what? Before injury, Akok would run down court like a gazelle with a sense of urgency. Carlton, on the other hand, heads down court like a fat man with plantar fisciitis. Carlton stayed on campus all summer to get bigger. He followed the direction of coaches. What are the in-season instructions, "get down court at your own pace?" Saunter if you desire... He would lose weight simply by telling him to get his ass down court in a hurry. But with so little depth, perhaps the thought was to not fatigue him unnecessarily? Who knows?

The S&C nomenclature needs to change. It should be strength and agility!

...and then there is Carlton free throw shooting. His motion is loopy and he brings the ball too far back. It has been this way all year without a smidgen of change in form. Here again, what are the instructions? This is not beat up Carlton - he just happens to be the embodiment of some perplexing coaching stuff.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Yup. I brought that up a couple weeks ago in a thread about Carlton's weight gain.
He also changed his jersey number up by 1. Thankfully 26 is not available in college basketball.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We were complimenting his weight in November when he was playing well vs. scrap.

Reaction Score
This stuff is puzzling. I like our coaches and believe that they will bring hoops back to prominence, but what? Before injury, Akok would run down court like a gazelle with a sense of urgency. Carlton, on the other hand, heads down court like a fat man with plantar fisciitis. Carlton stayed on campus all summer to get bigger. He followed the direction of coaches. What are the in-season instructions, "get down court at your own pace?" Saunter if you desire... He would lose weight simply by telling him to get his ass down court in a hurry. But with so little depth, perhaps the thought was to not fatigue him unnecessarily? Who knows?

...and then there is Carlton free throw shooting. His motion is loopy and he brings the ball too far back. It has been this way all year without a smidgen of change in form. Here again, what are the instructions? This is not beat up Carlton - he just happens to be the embodiment of some perplexing coaching stuff.

He’s fat, lazy and a bad shooter. I’m glad you’re not beating up on him!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Your final sentence begins, "This is not to beat up on Carlton..."

Is that 'burying the lead,' or a disclaimer that your legal department advised and should have been in fine print?

Reaction Score

Completing changing josh's FTs mid season would be moronic coaching

Reaction Score
Bulk up is another way of saying " Fat and out of shape"
So next year he will be in shape?

Reaction Score

I really don’t know what’s up with Carlton his regression is puzzling. I just don’t think he’s a killer doesn’t have that fire. Too bad, cuz we re really gonna need him the rest of the way. He’s really killed us this year

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anything to criticize with Josh Carlton. First he has the requisite work ethics to try something and improve his game during off season. Yes bulking up didn't work out for him. But what is more important to me is the fact he tried something to improve. It is infinitely better than not trying anything coming in the same player season after season kind of like I'd say Ben Simmons of 76ers for example. So he will go back to the drawing boards come back leaner and more explosive. I think that Josh will bounce back next year weighing around 250 lbs. It's precisely these type of people who [constantly try fail not give up try again and again set aside criticism to use as motivation til success is found] who will the game of life that we all play. Kudos to Josh and best of luck to the young man.

Reaction Score
Adding 25 lbs to a guy who is marginally athletic never seemed like a good

Brendan‘s brother Jaylen is a only 6’ but is a muscular 235 and one of the top PG's in G league . So BA might have a genetic element that most kids don’t .

I was looking up our Jalen and got his bio in Error.
Our JA is 6’3” and around 195lbs
There is a 0% chance that Jaylen Adams weighs in at 235

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom