Africa Safari | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Africa Safari

Reaction Score
I am planning the trip as I speak and am using the folks at Zicasso and also another company to really develop the itinerary. My list of things to see was too long, especially because the maximum amount of time that is available for this trip is about 14-15 days (plus 2 more days for travel from/to US). So, I decided to take out Cape Town from the itinerary to make things easier.

So far, we fly into Johannesburg and stay overnight, day 2 we fly to Sabi Sand game reserve adjoining Kruger in South Africa and stay for next two days, then we fly into the Okavango Delta in Botswana and stay another couple of days. On day 8, we fly to Victoria Falls and do river cruise, see the falls, and go white water rafting (well, not my in-laws but me). Then we fly to Nairobi Kenya for a night, then go to Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and from there go to the Ngorongor Crater for more safari drives. Day 13 takes us to the Serengeti for the next two days, and on Day 16 we go to Kilimanjaro airport to fly back to US.

Not sure when to go, it might be June- beginning of dry season which means good animal sightings, temps are good and rates are a little better than high season that begins soon after. My wife wanted to go in Feb- one agent said it is spring and there'd be lots of baby animals in Tanzania and Kenya- but they also said that Botswana would be really swelteringly hot- in-laws would hate it. September is a possibility too.

Haven't gotten a price yet but I should soon, then I'll check with in-laws for any feedback & ideas that they may have.

Reaction Score
My wife really wants to go and I would also want to add in Victoria Falls; but, that's at least 5 years out for us due to the age of our kids.

Reaction Score
In-laws called and said that father-in-law tires too easily on a walk (supposedly he walked half-mile and was really winded afterward), so they don't think it is feasible for him (and them) to go on proposed trip. I called the travel agent/safari planner and asked her to shorten the trip- we are now going to fly to CapeTown and stay 3 nights (will help get over jet lag & interesting city), then fly to Mala Mala Reserve outside of Kruger for 4 nights, then go to Victoria Falls for 3 nights. We are looking at going in February next year which is off season. She'll get back today with new price. She also said there is a direct flight now from Newark to Cape Town that is 13 hours, goes overnight and arrives 6 pm next day due to time zones. Maybe they'll go for this. The walking in a safari isn't supposed to be too much, but at 85 my father-in-law just needs to know his limits, and I think having a Last Hurrah kind of trip will help keep him going & be inspired for a while..

Reaction Score
Latest update- it looks like the trip won't happen, as least not with the in-laws. My father-in-law said he is just too old, he could do the morning part, but his energy drops a lot in afternoon and he isn't good for anything after that (so he says). We were going to go not in February but early April when it would be less hot- this is actually a great time to go. The place at Mala Mala where we were going to stay has a stay 3 nights get one night free (which at $1100 a night is something not to pass up). We'd have our own private jeep/land rover with own driver and could shorten or lengthen drives as we want. I told my father-in-law that sometimes with these camps being so close to the action that you don't even have to go on a drive to see the animals- the elephants will come up and drink out of the pool. But father-in-law thinks he would be a burden and would only go on half the game drives (they do one in morning and one late afternoon), and maybe he's worried too that he might get sick and then whole trip would be ruined for everyone. I don't want to push it any more, already I feel like I'm putting too much pressure on him- oh well, maybe my wife and I will still go by ourselves. By the way, the trip is about $8500 not including US airfare (but African flights and everything else is included) for 11 days and 10 nights.

Reaction Score
Latest update- it looks like the trip won't happen, as least not with the in-laws. My father-in-law said he is just too old, he could do the morning part, but his energy drops a lot in afternoon and he isn't good for anything after that (so he says). We were going to go not in February but early April when it would be less hot- this is actually a great time to go. The place at Mala Mala where we were going to stay has a stay 3 nights get one night free (which at $1100 a night is something not to pass up). We'd have our own private jeep/land rover with own driver and could shorten or lengthen drives as we want. I told my father-in-law that sometimes with these camps being so close to the action that you don't even have to go on a drive to see the animals- the elephants will come up and drink out of the pool. But father-in-law thinks he would be a burden and would only go on half the game drives (they do one in morning and one late afternoon), and maybe he's worried too that he might get sick and then whole trip would be ruined for everyone. I don't want to push it any more, already I feel like I'm putting too much pressure on him- oh well, maybe my wife and I will still go by ourselves. By the way, the trip is about $8500 not including US airfare (but African flights and everything else is included) for 11 days and 10 nights.
As I mentioned in earlier response, I will be going to South Africa in Dec. 2020 using AAA. It's a 13 day trip with all airfare included for $8700. Day 1 fly out of JFK to Johannesburg. Day 2 fly to Cape Town. We spend 4 nights in Cape Town at the Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa. Day 6 fly to Skukuza. Spend 3 days in Kruger National Park at the Lions Sands lodge (morning and late afternoon game drives). Day 9 fly to Johannesburg spend night at Michelangelo Hotel. Day 10 fly to Victoria Falls spend 2 nights in Luxury tent at Victoria Falls River Lodge. Day 12 fly back to Johannesburg and connect with flight back to JFK (Day 13). AAA uses African Travel, Inc. which is part of The Travel Corporation. AAA also provides 1 free excursion of your choice. It's a great deal.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in earlier response, I will be going to South Africa in Dec. 2020 using AAA. It's a 13 day trip with all airfare included for $8700. Day 1 fly out of JFK to Johannesburg. Day 2 fly to Cape Town. We spend 4 nights in Cape Town at the Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa. Day 6 fly to Skukuza. Spend 3 days in Kruger National Park at the Lions Sands lodge (morning and late afternoon game drives). Day 9 fly to Johannesburg spend night at Michelangelo Hotel. Day 10 fly to Victoria Falls spend 2 nights in Luxury tent at Victoria Falls River Lodge. Day 12 fly back to Johannesburg and connect with flight back to JFK (Day 13). AAA uses African Travel, Inc. which is part of The Travel Corporation. AAA also provides 1 free excursion of your choice. It's a great deal.
If you're going to be at Victoria Falls in December, I highly recommend visiting the Devil's Pool, which should be open that time of year. I guarantee it will be one of the most unforgettable things you've ever done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom