Adubs European "vacation" | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Adubs European "vacation"

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Another point about travelling around Scotland, especially if you are outside the main cities:

You pretty much ALWAYS need a reservation for dinner. Very rare and lucky to get seated for dinner if you just drop in somewhere.
'always need a reservation for dinner.'
wait, what?!?!
doesn't sound very civilized to me. mebbe it's part of that whole 'guys wearing skirts' thing? for sure, nobody would take my complaints very seriously if i was at shell and bones yelling about a missed reservation, dressed in a lovely pleated chiffon thing.
taffeta?
egyptian cotton lace?
i bet it would work iffn i was in a goth getup, with facepaint making my lips look like they were sewn together, and little railroad track stitch marks on my arms. that always works.

XAL now around 57. will the weekend thing cause it to go hard south in the last hour of trading, or will the 'hopeful' types, ie nonreaders of the adub 'nightmare on scotch street' thread, make it level out? who knows?

hey dubstep! what youse paying for 'petrol' over there? inquiring minds want to know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Another point about travelling around Scotland, especially if you are outside the main cities:

You pretty much ALWAYS need a reservation for dinner. Very rare and lucky to get seated for dinner if you just drop in somewhere.
Can confirm with the exception of dining at your hotel (if it has that). We had a hell of a time getting dinner in Oban. The overall restaurant capacity just seems quite low outside the two major cities.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can confirm with the exception of dining at your hotel (if it has that). We had a hell of a time getting dinner in Oban. The overall restaurant capacity just seems quite low outside the two major cities.
Oban's population triples during high tourist season. Is that when you went?

I think it depends on if you're really in the middle of nowhere or not. For instance, Fort William is only 5,600 people, but because it's the closest civilization to Ben Nevis, it caters to tourists.. Which is not to say the selection of places or menus are terrific (I think there's only a half dozen anyway), but one can drop in and eat. Had no issue dining in Inverness either, but that's 40K+ population. Or St. Andrews of course (19K).

Reaction Score
'always need a reservation for dinner.'
wait, what?!?!
doesn't sound very civilized to me. mebbe it's part of that whole 'guys wearing skirts' thing? for sure, nobody would take my complaints very seriously if i was at shell and bones yelling about a missed reservation, dressed in a lovely pleated chiffon thing.
taffeta?
egyptian cotton lace?
i bet it would work iffn i was in a goth getup, with facepaint making my lips look like they were sewn together, and little railroad track stitch marks on my arms. that always works.

XAL now around 57. will the weekend thing cause it to go hard south in the last hour of trading, or will the 'hopeful' types, ie nonreaders of the adub 'nightmare on scotch street' thread, make it level out? who knows?

hey dubstep! what youse paying for 'petrol' over there? inquiring minds want to know.
im very confused

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
footnotes from cliffy's 'guide for the perplexed.'

1. 'XAL'- a nyse index measuring the performance of the air carrier industry,
currently down aboot 5% since 'adventures in auggieland' was first posted.

2. clothing
'where are your ancestors buried?'
'in scot-land.'
'but then, where is your skirt?'

ok, i didn't really write 'guide for the perplexed.' maimonides did. send all complaints to him.

Reaction Score
Last coherent post I can remember and empathize with is reservations for dinner. When I was in London my wife and I would walk into a high street restaurant at 6pm. Totally empty and say table for 2. Response was sorry we’re booked. Wtf?

Luckily I found a great place called Scalini (near Harods) that accepted early dinner parties. Soon became my fav and little did I know very popular.

When I took my Solomon brothers trader and wife out for dinner they said no way Scalini you need to book well in advance. I walked in at 6:15 with them and matradie says hello mr X. Your usual table? Needless to say my Solomon Brothers guests were dumbfounded. Priceless.

I won’t bore you with my Bibendum stories

Reaction Score
@August_West have your family look into EU/EC 261. The European Union dictates airlines must provide compensation for delays longer than 2 hours, delays longer than 4 hours, or cancellations.

It doesn’t matter if the flight originated from the US if you bought with a European carrier as well (to my knowledge).

If you file and stay on top of it you’re likely you’re looking at €200-400 per flight per person.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
@August_West have your family look into EU/EC 261. The European Union dictates airlines must provide compensation for delays longer than 2 hours, delays longer than 4 hours, or cancellations.

It doesn’t matter if the flight originated from the US if you bought with a European carrier as well (to my knowledge).

If you file and stay on top of it you’re likely you’re looking at €200-400 per flight per person.
Maybe doesn’t apply because of Brexit?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

ADub is exempt. His past is his past.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the interesting read. Had an uneventful direct flight from Belgrade to JFK a few days ago. It left on time, arrived earlier than expected by about 15 minutes and the worst thing to happen was having to wait on the runway for about 90 minutes after landing at JFK. Otherwise, customs was a breeze, and getting to Grand Central for a train to CT, though time-consuming, was easy. Hoping things pick(ed) up for you. I want to make my way to Edinburg, Glasgow, and the highlands someday and will be looking for tips from the BY when that day comes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
gettin nervous here, stateside.... no reports from our man in glasgow in almost 24 hours....are things fubar?.... have communications been hacked?.... we heard that no one would serve the pregnant lady any food, that's bad, and a un violation of her human rights...are they making him wear a dress?.... not good, not good at all...
since centcom here seems to be busy with other things, we'll call over to Sikorsky, and tell them to stop screwing around out back, and prepare instead for the call as it looks like we may have to chopper in....

they'll never know that we were even there.

if it's a go, what should we play for the entrance? fortunate son? we got to get out of this place? mmbop? that valkyrie tune is sooo yesterday...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
strike force steely dan commander just informed hq that she'll be playing this one cuz it's nonthreatening to the locals. she said that it'll prolly make them dance a bit, too, so they'll never know what hit them.

hmmm, bop them on the head. good choice.
all is in readiness now as we wait.......

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dang! if you start the chopper vid at around 35 seconds in, muted, then hit play on the hanson one, they sync up perfectly, like mayo and cold cuts.
i bet i could get a half mil hits on that iffn i put it up on utube, but i don't do that. currently im busy manning the shortwave, and looking up in the sky for the arby's signal....

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
years back, when bush2 was on the job, and on a beeyoootiful summer day like today, the ground in my hood seemed to shake as a very large, unmarked, steely grey/blue plane was slowly flying around only a couple hundred feet off the ground. neighbors figgered i was up to some kind of hijinx again. not me!
later, i hear from a man i knew in Westbrook, who ran a shop making your hips and knees for J&J. the shop was a relatively tall building, with a huge door which was always open in the summer, cuz it's hot, and ac'ing that place wasn't necessary to machine out some metal body parts.
of a certain age, he says 'we were working, and all of a sudden this freaking chopper was hovering close to the ground in front of the door, tipped down, and looking in at us. freakin scene out of apocalypse now.'
turns out that ol george was making a visit to a fav charity of their family, the one that helps out disabled folks, and that the military was making a surveillance sweep of the area, particularly anything that had a high heat footprint.
good luck telling this guy to get off your lawn.
British-Army-Air-Corps-Apache-Helicopter-Pilot-Prepares-for-Take-Off-Peter-Davies-MOD.jpg

an outstanding charity.
Vista Life Innovations | Home

give some cash, u cheap bastids. it will do a lot of good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Perhaps mixing scotch and codeine wasn’t all that great an idea after all?

I suspect he’s done worse in combination.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sorry guys. I told you this would take a few days anyway but thought I’d have more energy.

So , the scotch and codeine didn’t kill me , :) ( I haven’t taken any anyway) but unfortunately this Covid has turned on me a bit.
After my car ride yesterday I was really wiped when I got to the house in innellan yesterday evening, and it seems by blood oxygen level has been running at 92, 93 if I’m lucky. Just been sleeping a lot . I’ll be fine, I just don’t want it to go lower and I am really sluggish . I don’t run a fever really at all now, or anything else, it seems to have just shifted to my chest. If it doesn’t improve tomorrow, I’m gonna have to go to NHS to be safe.

Whatever variant this is, is a ton more butt kicking than what I had in December.

I’ll be back

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom