Admit you were Wrong! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Admit you were Wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Otis Thorpe, Corny Thompson,and the Lee kid from Memphis State.

In that era there was also a kid from Depaul, the center from Nova that helped them win the big one and Mark Aguire.

Reaction Score
Harold Miner - Baby Jordan
Walt Williams - Billed as a 6' 8" PG coming out of college
Ed O'Bannon - Maybe not a star in the NBA, but a "fill up the stat sheet" kind of player who would have a 10+ year career

Reaction Score
Walter Berry--thought he'd be a Hall of Famer coming out of SJU
Dallas Comegys--seemed to have all the tools at DePaul and was always on the verge of putting it together
Terry Dehere--could score in every way against good college competition, just not at the next level

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My greatest disappointment will always be Derrick Coleman. Not sure if DC counts insomuch as he did have a fairly successful and certainly long career, but that guy should have had a Hall of Fame-caliber run.

Nah, I'll never forget him just laughing and joking while UConn was beating Cuse in the BET. He was a stiff.

But my old school Big East pick would be Jerome Lane. I knew he was undersized, but that guy played hard could really rebound. And I figured if Adrien Dantly could do it, so could he.

Reaction Score
Interesting topic.

I thought Donyell Marshall would have had a bigger career. I felt he was a tweener going in and would struggle defensively, even though he got that head-scratching BE Defensive POY. He blooked a lot of shots but many came from behind as his man blew by him. I didn't get to see him play much in the NBA, but I think he defensive liabilities kept him on the bench early on. He did flourish once he filled out and was teamed with the wide body Carl Malone in Utah.

I guess I might add Emeka to this list based on how high he went and how much of an advocate that he should get drafted high. I knew that he would struggle offensively based on how mechanical he was on that end of the floor. I figured that he wouldn't be able to score on that one-step spin and bank shot he perfected his last year at UConn. He had not post moves to speak of. What surprised me most was I thought he'd be a more dominant defensive post presence with that shot blocking of his. His defensive game simply didn't translate as I had thought. I didn't expect dominance, but thought he'd be a regular name when talking about the top NBA defenders. Maybe a new change of scenery will do him good.

I guess I don't have many more I can come up with. I tend not to take for granted just about any player becoming an NBA star. As much as one wouldn't think, it really is a very different game in the NBA. Some players simply can't handle the physical and athletic challenges. What makes it hard to predict is you see great athletes, great shooters, and even high BBIQ players fail at this level. Conversely you see some players that would seem to be over-matched athletically and physically excel. It almost comes down to being able to do at least one thing exceptionally. You can be a star by being a dominating rebounder and post defender. You can dominate by being a big time shot maker (Pierce), or play maker (Nash), or shooter (Ray or Reggie). If you end an average player at most aspects of the game, you'll either end up a role player or even out of the league as teams reload with the next group of "potential" impact players who turn out to be just average.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought Donyell Marshall would have had a bigger career. .

Donyell had a huge career, especially if you could come up with a stat that could measure dollar earned per unit of effort expended. He would be a Top Tenner.

Reaction Score
for the people who put Emeka. he's averaged a career double-double with 1.8 bpg throughout his career. unless you expected him to turn into a scorer, the only knock on him is that he's been hurt alot and played on a lot of crappy teams.

my 3 would be:
1) Joe Smith -- he just wasn't good enough at any one thing to stand out in the NBA
2) Glenn Robinson -- was an all star but i thought he'd be a superstar
3) DerMarr Johnson -- thought he was a stud talent who had an NBA game at 6'9

Reaction Score
for the people who put Emeka. he's averaged a career double-double with 1.8 bpg throughout his career. unless you expected him to turn into a scorer, the only knock on him is that he's been hurt alot and played on a lot of crappy teams.

my 3 would be:
1) Joe Smith -- he just wasn't good enough at any one thing to stand out in the NBA
2) Glenn Robinson -- was an all star but i thought he'd be a superstar
3) DerMarr Johnson -- thought he was a stud talent who had an NBA game at 6'9
Joe Smith is a good one that people haven't mentioned and I don't know that I could put my finger on why he was so effective in college and a middle of pack NBA player.

Glenn Robinson did have such a dominating year in college ball that he seemed destined for superstardom, but he did average 20ppg over a 11yr NBA career, just flamed out quickly at end. I assume didn't have the desire/motivation of a Kobe. It'd be interesting to see what would have happend to the Bucks, Ray Big Dog and Cassell IF they hadn't gotten jobbed in that Eastern Conference Finals vs the We want Iverson in the NBA Finals referee-ing.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Kerry Kittles, Donyell Marshall and Marcus Camby (had a nice career but by no means a star).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Haha @ the Sam Bowie comment. Surprised it took 3-4 pages to mention him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom