ADDING UCONN TO THE BIG TEN WOULD BE ACTUALLY GOOD. HERE'S WHY. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ADDING UCONN TO THE BIG TEN WOULD BE ACTUALLY GOOD. HERE'S WHY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't understand this. We are superior to Rutgers. If they get invited to play in the NFC East next year, that still doesn't change the underlying fact. You are or are not superior because of your accomplishments -- not what conference you are in.

It seems irrelevant to me and arrogant. Counting chickens and all that.

Let's get this thing done with humility and then talk all the smack we want. I actually think it would turn into such a great eastern rivalry with the 4 eastern schools, but especially between us and the Jersey guys. Oh man, please happen.

Reaction Score
It seems irrelevant to me and arrogant. Counting chickens and all that.

Let's get this thing done with humility and then talk all the smack we want. I actually think it would turn into such a great eastern rivalry with the 4 eastern schools, but especially between us and the Jersey guys. Oh man, please happen.
The fact we are talking smack now even sells.

Reaction Score
Final:
Purdue 107
Rutgers 57

I think more people are seriously thinking "mistake" at this point.

Rutgers's athletic department speaks for itself. That said, the B1G got them for non-athletic reasons and UConn's chance to get into the B1G would be non-existent if Rutgers wasn't in before or invited at the same time.

Reaction Score
Rutgers's athletic department speaks for itself. That said, the B1G got them for non-athletic reasons and UConn's chance to get into the B1G would be non-existent if Rutgers wasn't in before or invited at the same time.
100% agree. Rutgers has been what those that made their addition to the B1G possible knew they were; a cash cow on the athletic side because of market and a solid addition to the CIC on the academic side. I seriously doubt that any of those that had a hand in inviting them has had even a second of regret. Someone on this board a few weeks ago posted that the B1G is a division of labor and I agree. Rutgers is doing their part in that regard better than I think most believed they would. More to the point of this board Rutgers addition to the B1G, as the post I’m quoting says, has made it possible for UConn to be considered as well. If the B1G didn’t want Rutgers and the NYC market then UConn would not be on the radar in any way. Not that I don’t think UConn would be a great addition because I do, but because it would mean the B1G was just not looking to go in that direction.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The only reason we aren't already in a P5 is because we are located in Storrs, Connecticut and we are not a member of the AAU. (And Boston College being a d*k)
This article is refreshing. Other than those 2 factors I just mentioned, we are far superior to Rutgers and any other P5 riffraff alike.

Reaction Score
Don't understand this. We are superior to Rutgers. If they get invited to play in the NFC East next year, that still doesn't change the underlying fact. You are or are not superior because of your accomplishments -- not what conference you are in.

While true in almost every fact pattern, the challenge is that the P5 is designed to make this somewhat irrelevant in that we can't (or believe we will) REMAIN superior if we remain in the AAC and they in the BIG. We can survive now on exit fee money from BigEast, but at some point we won't be able to compete if we get a conf payout of a few million and they collect 40MM/year.

Besides, is being invited to play in the NFCEast a step up from the BIG? :confused:

Reaction Score
While true in almost every fact pattern, the challenge is that the P5 is designed to make this somewhat irrelevant in that we can't (or believe we will) REMAIN superior if we remain in the AAC and they in the BIG. We can survive now on exit fee money from BigEast, but at some point we won't be able to compete if we get a conf payout of a few million and they collect 40MM/year.

Besides, is being invited to play in the NFCEast a step up from the BIG? :confused:

It is possible (not definite but possible) that being incompetent in the Big Ten, at some time in the future, will be superior to what you can accomplish outside the P-5. That does not make Rutgers superior. It does not stop UConn from being superior. It is one possible outcome in the future. there are others.

Reaction Score
I do not follow this stuff much anymore because its depressing, but whats a realistic time frame the Big 12 and Big 10 will be making decisions about expansion? I assume it will center around TV contracts being renewed?

Reaction Score
Seems like public opinion is improving. The B1G really shouldn't let the Big 12 come into its territory.

The B1G may not like the idea of the Big XII moving into its territory, but it will survive. If the P5 ever reduces to the P4 the B1G will likely still be standing. The B1G may like UConn, but it can live without us.

That may not hold true for the ACC. IMHO the ACC and the Big XII are fighting for the last P4 spot (I think the B1G, SEC and Pac-12 are safe). The ACC allows the Big XII into its backyard at its own risk. The ACC should grab UConn and Cincinnati immediately. It shuts the Big XII out of New York and may even further destabilize the Big XII by keeping West Virginia on an island. Sure the Big XII could add Memphis, but Cincy > Memphis.

UConn, Cincinnati and BYU might be the best available schools for the Big XII, the ACC should make a defensive move and grab two of them.

Reaction Score
UConn is already a better academic school than the half the B10. And the arrow is pointed up.

We have better athletic programs than most of the B10.

We are a much cleaner program than B10 bell cow Ohio State. Not even close. Our reputation for being a NCAA violator stems from the fact we actually make our players go to class. And some of them have turned out to be awful students. That's not cheating, it is our integrity getting us in trouble. Yep, our kids also occasionally do something stupid. But these tiny compared to most of the college universe especially when you consider the first sentence of this paragraph

Reaction Score
I wish someone would take the comment posted early with all of the B1G schools and number of NC's and insert UConn into it and repost. I don't think many of the B1G schools realize how successful UConn has been. Funny how the bottom trash defend their position by saying if UConn was any good they would already be in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
I wish someone would take the comment posted early with all of the B1G schools and number of NC's and insert UConn into it and repost. I don't think many of the B1G schools realize how successful UConn has been. Funny how the bottom trash defend their position by saying if UConn was any good they would already be in a P5 conference.
For what it's worth, I was discussing this article with a B1G fan earlier today and he said Rutgers/Maryland were added largely because of recruiting grounds and the northeast's recruiting was just bad. I countered with UConn's NFL draft picks compared to other B1G schools, similar to what was posted here comparing to Big XII schools.

Here's the list:

NFL Draft Picks 2005-2015
Ohio State: 57
Wisconsin: 44
Iowa: 42
Nebraska: 40
Penn State: 39
Michigan: 37
Michigan State: 31
UConn: 25
Rutgers: 23
Illinois: 22
Maryland: 21
Purdue: 21
Minnesota: 15
Indiana: 13
Northwestern: 13

UConn is smack dab in the middle of producing NFL talent among B1G schools. This is especially impressive given it was in UConn's first 10 years as an FBS program.

Reaction Score

Is this what you mean?

National titles/B1G titles by school:

PSU 47/75

Michigan 36/376

Wisconsin 28/193

OSU 28/207

Maryland 27/6

Iowa 25/106

Indiana 24/171

UConn 20

MSU 20/95

Nebraska 19/8

Illinois 18/237

Minnesota 18/163

Johns Hopkins 9/1

Northwestern 8/73

Purdue 3/71

Rutgers 1/0

Note that the U of Chicago who left in 1946 had 73 B1G conference championships. As an IU fan I like to keep this handy for those times when Purdue fans get out of hand. It’s bad enough they only have 71 B1G titles but to still be behind U of Chicago is ridiculous. Then there’s MSU who didn’t join until 1950 with 95, PSU who joined in 1990 with 75 and even Northwestern beats them with 73, lol Purdue. Maryland and Nebraska will both likely pass them in less than 50 years. Heck Johns Hopkins may pass them at some point with just 2 teams in the conference. I say we keep Rutgers and keep cashing those checks add UConn and beg the MAC to take Purdue…sound good?

Sorry I thought you were talking about national championships.

Reaction Score
The B1G may not like the idea of the Big XII moving into its territory, but it will survive. If the P5 ever reduces to the P4 the B1G will likely still be standing. The B1G may like UConn, but it can live without us.

That may not hold true for the ACC. IMHO the ACC and the Big XII are fighting for the last P4 spot (I think the B1G, SEC and Pac-12 are safe). The ACC allows the Big XII into its backyard at its own risk. The ACC should grab UConn and Cincinnati immediately. It shuts the Big XII out of New York and may even further destabilize the Big XII by keeping West Virginia on an island. Sure the Big XII could add Memphis, but Cincy > Memphis.

UConn, Cincinnati and BYU might be the best available schools for the Big XII, the ACC should make a defensive move and grab two of them.
Makes a lot of sense, but boy are they still sore about that lawsuit from a decade ago...

I hope the ACC burns to the ground

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I've believed for many years Big 10 expansion could end up as follows:

1) Penn State & Nebraska for football
2) Rutgers & Missouri for TV sets (I missed on Maryland)
3) UConn & Kansas for basketball

That takes care of football, TV dollars, and basketball ... the holy trinity of college sports.

Reaction Score
First off anyone who has not read the article I recommend doing so. Its highly entertaining. That said it in no way compares to the comments section. It is literally comedy gold. Props to Dooley. This dude does yeoman's work spreading the UCONN to P5 Message. Just for fun I have to post a few of the comments on that article from The Rutgers Faithful and the replies from IU Fans.

From RU Fan-

There is so much wrong with this 28 replies
That my blood is boiling right now. IU fans/CQ people won’t listen to logic, but just for the hell of it I will reiterate some points other posters made:
NYC doesn’t care about UConn. They may not care about RU, but it is certainly more than UConn and there was actually a measurable profit from adding Rutgers. I don’t think UConn would have had the same impact.
UConn’s non-bball sports are god awful.
Have you been to Storrs? It’s in the middle of fuc**** nowhere. Awful awful college town.
Rutgers absutely fills up its football stadium. The picture you posted, I was there (in the band), that was for the MD game. The last game of our shi*** season. Those stands were full for many games prior. Can’t blame the fans for decreased morale after that dumpster fire of a season. But I assure you our stadium fills and is an intense environment, FAR MORE than UConn.
UConn fans are terrible. Connecticut is a terrible state. You don’t even understand what trash you’d be inviting to the conference. You think it can’t get worse? Oooohh would they prove you wrong.
Also, Crimson Quarry, you sure talk about Rutgers a lot…. WHY? You could have easily made a case for UConn and minimally mentioned Rutgers. I’d actually classify this as a dual UConn RU article on an Indiana website…

Me-

UCONN's non bball sports are god awful? LOL That's news to me. Maybe he should check the National Title lists.

Storrs is an awful college town? WTF is Piscataway then?

Rutgers absolutely fills up its stadium? Sure for Penn State, Ohio State, and UM. For everybody else not so much. Last I checked UCONN had to put in temporary seating to accommodate the demand for Michigan Tickets. I'd love to see attendance figures if Rutgers hosted SMU or Tulsa

UCONN fans are terrible? Again that's news to me. I've been here for a few years and everyone has been pretty cool to me. Sure there are a few s in every group, but for the most part UCONN Fans represent their school well. Contrast that with Rutgers Fans who treated PSU Fans with more disrespect then I have ever experienced in my life during our visit to Piscataway. Adults yelling disgusting slurs at families with small children. Others had professionally produced signs and t-shirts depicting child sexual abuse. Over a football game? horrible. I have been all over the B1G and have been treated with respect and never got anything more than good natured ribbing. Huge difference in NJ.

Rutgers Fan-

Rutgers
Is not as terrible as you goons make us out to be.
Do you even truly look at us?
Football is decent, soccer is fantastic, wrestling is amazing, womens basketball is respected and our other sports are trying. Our academics are solid and we have some programs that are in the top 3 of the B1G. It is going to take time, but you clowns are unfairly not giving us any.
Why do Rutgers fans come over and yell? Because your hate reasons are ridiculously over-exaggerated. Imagine if a fan base * on all aspects of IU contantly and for no truly fair reason? That’s how many Rutgers fans feel about CQ and you can be damn sure we’re gonna come here and TRY to defend ourselves.
Rutgers* ..."Writer" at OffTackleEmpire.com

Me-

Football is decent? False. Fair weather fan base, crap stadium, below average recent success, historical ineptitude, unproven and highly inexperienced coaching staff, below average recruiting class subject to further poaching.

Soccer is fantastic? I guess finishing 3rd in your conference and being shut out in the final four is fantastic by Rutgers Standards.

Wrestling is amazing? Umm I guess so. If amazing is being ranked outside the top 10, losing out on every top tier in state recruit, and having exactly 1 All American across 10 weight classes at last year's NCAA Tournament. AMAZING!!!!

Women's basketball is respected? They are an upper mid tier program with zero shot at a title. Their HC is also way overrated.

Our other sports are trying? Cool lets give them participation trophies like they hand out in little league.

IU Fan-

Oh.
You’re trying? You just need some more time? Well, why didn’t you say so! I forgot that the Big Ten was in the business of offering remediation-level classes in college athletics.

Me-

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Reaction Score
Oh.
You’re trying? You just need some more time? Well, why didn’t you say so! I forgot that the Big Ten was in the business of offering remediation-level classes in college athletics.

Actual LOL at this.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Rutgers is completely and utterly delusional. Everything stated is demonstrably false. Rutgers is worse than UConn at everything except hitting the P5 lottery.

Reaction Score
Rutgers Fan-

...Football is decent, soccer is fantastic, wrestling is amazing, womens basketball is respected and our other sports are trying...

They should use that as the school catchphrase: 'Rutgers athletics, a trying experience.'

Reaction Score
Does an IU fan really have so many more NC's where they can act that arrogant about UConn? Soccer and swimming are strong but men's bball and fb are average and not as good as UConn in last 20 years. Men's bball not even close.

Reaction Score
Does an IU fan really have so many more NC's where they can act that arrogant about UConn? Soccer and swimming are strong but men's bball and fb are average and not as good as UConn in last 20 years. Men's bball not even close.

Indiana 5 1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, 1987
Connecticut 4 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

They also have more overall Final Four appearances than us.

We've had a great run, but let's not pretend that Indiana is some men's basketball scrub.

Reaction Score

IU's fans were mostly complimentary of UCONN or at least neutral. There were a few who opposed inclusion based on losing traditional rivalries and geography. Most of the UCONN bashing was coming from RU Fans and an OSU Fan with a peculiar interest in Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I must have missed something, I thought the article was about wanting UConn in the conference and they were talking down to Rutgers fans...I'll have to re-read some of this I guess. I thought the arrogant about UConn stuff was from Rutgers fans not IU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom