Add Fordham and UMASS to the New Big East basketball only | The Boneyard

Add Fordham and UMASS to the New Big East basketball only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Add Fordham and keep the Big East tournament at MSG. In many ways they would be a huge improvement over ST Johns, also invite UMASS for everything but football for now.

The New Big East basketball league is:

UConn
UMASS
Fordham
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis
East Carolina
USF
UCF
Tulane
Houston
SMU

Reaction Score
We should also consider Boston U.
Not the one with the C in its name, but the one in the AAU.
(Had to put a plug in for the alma mater).

Reaction Score
Fordham is the perfect addition. St John's is a school for kids who couldn't get into Fordham. The Big East is not the Big East without a New York team. The Catholic 7 would crap themselves if we added Fordham who would play their home games in the Brooklyn arena.

UMASS minus football would be a great rival for UCONN, much more intense than PC. Imagine Providence fans finding out UMASS is in the Big East and they are not, it would be like they swapped leagues.

Reaction Score
Fordham is the perfect addition. St John's is a school for kids who couldn't get into Fordham. The Big East is not the Big East without a New York team. The Catholic 7 would crap themselves if we added Fordham. UMASS minus football would be a great rival for UCONN, much better than PC. Imagine Providence fans finding out UMASS is in the Big East and they are not.

Lol, you go ahead and add em.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fordham is the perfect addition. St John's is a school for kids who couldn't get into Fordham. The Big East is not the Big East without a New York team. The Catholic 7 would crap themselves if we added Fordham who would play their home games in the Brooklyn arena.

UMASS minus football would be a great rival for UCONN, much more intense than PC. Imagine Providence fans finding out UMASS is in the Big East and they are not, it would be like they swapped leagues.
St John's is a school for kids who can't spell Fordham.

That said, you are insane if you want to once again have basketball only members in a conference we compete in. Additionally, we (UConn) are more of a presence in MSG than St John's. If you don't believe me just watch the video that SNY replays constantly of the 1999 game (St John's had a final eight team then, their excuse on subsequent games that the only reason they had no fans was because Jarvis killed the program doesn't fly). You'll swear it was a UConn home game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Fordham has made a point of avoiding MSG recently, from playing at the Izod Center to the Barclays for the A10. MSG has no interest in Fordham.

Reaction Score
Might as well join the MAAC at this point...and start up a rivalry with Fairfield U...

Reaction Score
Ffld, I've had season tickets to SJU games since befoe 99'. Uconn fans were a force back then. Amazing actually. The crowds at MSG have dwindled since the early 2000's though, and quite significantly. Uconn still sends decent crowds but not half of the numbers they did back then. Only school that does that now is Syracuse. Uconn doesn't have a much greater presence than SJU any more. I was at that game 2 years ago when SJU destroyed the national championship Uconn team at MSG.. If it was full of Uconn fans, you'd never know it because they were silent.

Fordham is a fine school. So are Renselear Poly. and Williams College. Maybe you'd like to invite them to your new conference?

Reaction Score
Ffld, I've had season tickets to SJU games since befoe 99'. Uconn fans were a force back then. Amazing actually. The crowds at MSG have dwindled since the early 2000's though, and quite significantly. Uconn still sends decent crowds but not half of the numbers they did back then. Only school that does that now is Syracuse. Uconn doesn't have a much greater presence than SJU any more. I was at that game 2 years ago when SJU destroyed the national championship Uconn team at MSG.. If it was full of Uconn fans, you'd never know it because they were silent.

Fordham is a fine school. So are Renselear Poly. and Williams College. Maybe you'd like to invite them to your new conference?

Numbnuts Jarvis changed it by not having weekend games when people could load up for road trips, bus trips etc and not have to worry about work the next day. It was great for basketball, the BE and whether he knew it or not for you guys and recruiting to have a game with 20K at MSG.......The Johnnies became wary of the Huskies bringing more fans than their own, can you blame them? It's funny you bring up how you "destroyed"the NC team......I can imagine they weren't all that excited to play the NIT Johnnies, if they made that even!!! nice win, congrats, we'll take the NC title pal........;)

Oh yeah and just for the record, your boys are much closer to the likes of Williams and RPI than most in the Big East ever were..........wonder boy Lavin and his recruiting only make you a threat to be a bubble team at best, must be fun!!!! LOL

Reaction Score
St John's is a school for kids who can't spell Fordham.

And Fordham is a basketball program for kids who can't play at St. Johns............................................There is only one move for UConn, all this talk of anything less will slowly put UConn sports back to irrelevancy.

Reaction Score
And Fordham is a basketball program for kids who can't play at St. Johns............................................There is only one move for UConn, all this talk of anything less will slowly put UConn sports back to irrelevancy.

Have you watched the Johnnies for the last few years? I get what you're saying but let's be honest here, St Johns couldn't win the A10 either..........

Reaction Score
Have you watched the Johnnies for the last few years? I get what you're saying but let's be honest here, St Johns couldn't win the A10 either..........

All I am saying is that St. Johns brings a high profile coach, high profile recruits, and MSG......all things our players and recruits would find appealing going up against. Fordham brings none of that.

UConn should not be wasting time trying to compile a new plan with whats left. They need to be proactive and somehow force the hand of one these major conferences to finally invite them in.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with you on Fordham and alike.........

If they don't have another option though and are not invited irrelevancy is staring them in the face.........the Temple, Memphis, Boise St, BYU, Cincy, Houston, UNLV, SD St is still a good basketball conference no doubt with programs that are better than many leaving........heck even though we think of Boise State as a blue football field team they beat Creighton a couple weeks back by 13 and lost to MSU by 4............have to have that option and at least maybe while trying to create this opportunity one of the major's will say let's pluck UConn now before they sign up??

But you're right something has to be done now and I'm guessing WM and SH haven't had a great weekend and won't have much Christmas time with their families as they sort through this mess.......

Reaction Score
Seriously, you should be banned for even mentioning umess. To say they are beneath us is an understatement. Even in one of our darkest seasons, we are still a much better team. Like any team, they could get lucky once out of evey 20 or so games and beat us. Why give those crappy fans the satisfaction?

Reaction Score
Seriously, you should be banned for even mentioning umess. To say they are beneath us is an understatement. Even in one of our darkest seasons, we are still a much better team. Like any team, they could get lucky once out of evey 20 or so games and beat us. Why give those crappy fans the satisfaction?

You sound like a BC football fan. That's the same way they feel about UCONN. The defection of the Catholic 7 took away our local basketball rivals, i'm simply suggesting we add a couple. UMASS has a bigger fan base then Providence and we have been in a league with Providence until now. Fordham is a much better school than St John's and they have a great basketball history. The Big East needs a NYC anchor. Fordham can serve that role and probably do it better then St John's has been doing.

Reaction Score
Fordham=SJU in hoops? That's a riot.

Manhattan would be a better option.

Reaction Score
Patience, UConn will be a member of a big time conference within 2 years. Bank on it......

Reaction Score
No more Hybrid conference affiliation for UConn please.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Tough one...does Fordham beat you guys a lot too?
They haven't played us in i don't know how long but one glaring similarity between Fordham and PC is that you can fit their accomplishments on a postage stamp.

Reaction Score
I'm glad to be rid of the nasty ugly PeeCee fans. We don't need to associate ourselves with another equally screwed up fan base in umess. And I don't care what BC fans say about UConn. They are idiots. Truth is truth and bullsh!t is bullsh!t. We are above umess and BC, BOTH. Truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom