Adams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Adams

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Adams and Whalley are just ballin' right now and it's nice to see. They get in the game with energy trying to maximize what they do well and not force what they don't. That's winning basketball.

Reaction Score
This reflects a complete misunderstanding of the game of college basketball. It amazes me that people can still be so obtuse about "talent" based on some dweeb's ranking of a high school player. Especially a year after zero star Ja Morant went #2 in the draft and Tennessee went to the final four in 2018 without a single four star on the roster. Experience >>>> "Talent" and Skills >>>>> athletic ability.

Adams is exactly the kind of player Hurley won with at URI and exactly the kind of player major programs win with because they stay for four years. Remember Frank Mason at Kansas? 3 star recruit, not athletic. Was the best guard in the country his senior year. Rob Gray last year at Houston? 3 star senior guard. Jarrett Culver last year for TT, 3 star guard, now with the Timberwolves.

Adams got good coaching in the offseason. He's not super quick and can't get up like Bouknight can. So he realized he can create strength without reducing his athleticism, and create a different kind of advantage. By next year he's going to post up any skinny or short guards who cover him. He's a tough defender and plays a Marcus Smart type role on this team guarding different positions. Kid is a beast and will wreak havoc on the Big East two years from now.
While I agree with the premise of what you wrote, I think bringing up rob gray and frank mason are awfully lofty expectations for the kid. I think he will be a solid role player with more frequent flashes like he had Sunday, which is what this program needs from him

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While I agree with the premise of what you wrote, I think bringing up rob gray and frank mason are awfully lofty expectations for the kid. I think he will be a solid role player with more frequent flashes like he had Sunday, which is what this program needs from him

Sure. I don't have those expectations. They are more extreme examples. But the idea that he's not good enough for the Big East is nonsense. College basketball is routinely dominated by experienced guards.

Reaction Score
Sure. I don't have those expectations. They are more extreme examples. But the idea that he's not good enough for the Big East is nonsense. College basketball is routinely dominated by experienced guards.
t
I agree he will have a role on this team for the next two years, depending on how he continues to develop and how others develop will determine how large a role but he’s Definitely 15 minutes on a bad night and upwards of 30 on a good night

Reaction Score
This is just an aside but I think the game the other day (the flow, not the statline) summed Adams up. He hits 4 threes and gives us a huge lift, we’re all loving him, then late in the game he clanks two key FT and has arguably the worst looking missed 3PA I’ve seen all season, which Vital was there to clean up after. It’s crazy that a player who drilled 4 corner 3s could then look so helpless later in the same game. When he’s off, he’s really off.

Reaction Score
I'll keep saying this, you don't score 1,500 plus points in High School by accident. The kid can ball. He's got a ton of talent just waiting to be tapped. He's transformed his body from FR. to SO. year. Watch his highlight film. He can dribble drive and shoot. He was a 6'4" PG in HS. He can shoot as we saw today. Confidence and playing time are two things he needs. He can defend. He can hang with physical opponents due to his added strength. He's a huge asset for this team. He will be a great four year contributor without a doubt. With Bouknight's emergence, I think we will continue to see him improve as he gets more minutes.
His reputation was as a pure shooter
His Brother is Jaylan Adams ( not Jalen) who was drafted by the NBA and is currently playing in G league. So I’m sure he gets good coaching just hanging as around his house.
His brother is a true PG 6’0 but 235
Mom must feed her boys well.
His size and strength allow him to play 1/2/3 so he will get minutes.
Right now he is too deliberate with his shot which hurts his rhythm.

Reaction Score
His Brother is Jaylan Adams ( not Jalen) who was drafted by the NBA and is currently playing in G league. So I’m sure he gets good coaching just hanging as around his house.
If you watch his high school film, he spent a lot of time handling the ball. He's got some shiftiness to him. He hasn't quite shown it at UConn yet. He has dribble drive ability. He's filled out and added strength to bang with the bigger guards UConn often goes up against. He's a good defender. At his size that's an added plus that he can defend multiple positions. It's going to be fun to watch him grow as a player under Hurley. He's a favorite of mine.

Reaction Score
This is just an aside but I think the game the other day (the flow, not the statline) summed Adams up. He hits 4 threes and gives us a huge lift, we’re all loving him, then late in the game he clanks two key FT and has arguably the worst looking missed 3PA I’ve seen all season, which Vital was there to clean up after. It’s crazy that a player who drilled 4 corner 3s could then look so helpless later in the same game. When he’s off, he’s really off.

The bricked 3 was a force off a dribble where he was never set. The corner 3s were catch and shoot where he spotted up. Those shots he can make (or miss).

The 0-2 from the line nearly killed us, but no matter how good a foul shooter you are sometimes you miss. I wouldn't read much into that unless late game foul shooting becomes a repetitive problem.

Reaction Score
The bricked 3 was a force off a dribble where he was never set. The corner 3s were catch and shoot where he spotted up. Those shots he can make (or miss).

The 0-2 from the line nearly killed us, but no matter how good a foul shooter you are sometimes you miss. I wouldn't read much into that unless late game foul shooting becomes a repetitive problem.
He has a very high rate of really ugly misses that you just don’t see from a pure shooter typically. Between that and his form, I don’t see him as much more than a 33% type of 3 point shooter. That’s a big reason why I see him as a bench guy who you only rely on when he has a hot hand. Certainly a valuable guy to have on the roster, but not someone you look to for consistency

Reaction Score
He has a very high rate of really ugly misses that you just don’t see from a pure shooter typically. Between that and his form, I don’t see him as much more than a 33% type of 3 point shooter. That’s a big reason why I see him as a bench guy who you only rely on when he has a hot hand. Certainly a valuable guy to have on the roster, but not someone you look to for consistency
I would say defense first with the ability to score in bunches when he gets hot. Certainly valuable depth. Would you agree?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Kid can definitely ball. I think one of the reasons he’s inconsistent is his PT is inconsistent. Some days he’s playing close to 30 min some days it’s 10. Tough for a 20 yo kid to prepare for that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
F17F1CA2-8476-4F85-9F09-9F75CB6F010D.jpeg
He really should be a better rim protector at his height though

Reaction Score
Adams is inconsistent. He has had very good games and games where he has disappeared. But that is true of every Husky. It is true of the team as a whole.

Just enjoy the good games when he has one and hope for more.

Reaction Score
His brother's name is Jaylen Adams and he's listed at 6'2 190 lbs., not 6'0 235 lbs. lol.

Reaction Score
Kid can definitely ball. I think one of the reasons he’s inconsistent is his PT is inconsistent. Some days he’s playing close to 30 min some days it’s 10. Tough for a 20 yo kid to prepare for that.
I've been saying this. The biggest thing for him will be confidence and playing time. If he can get regular playing time in the rotation he should be much more successful when it comes to scoring. Fitting into the flow of the offense and getting his shot should come more regularly. One way to get regular playing time is solid defense and he has shown the ability to do so.

Reaction Score
Adams is inconsistent. He has had very good games and games where he has disappeared. But that is true of every Husky. It is true of the team as a whole.

Just enjoy the good games when he has one and hope for more.

That point can't be emphasized enough. With the (mostly) exception of CV, every single player on this team is wildly inconsistent night to night and Hurley can't have any idea when we tip off who he's going to have to rely upon that night. His roster is like a damn Forest Gump box of chocolates.

Take tomorrow for example. Gilbert didn't play much on Sunday because Cumberland playing point was just too big and strong to let Gilbert guard him for long. For SMU, their offense is largely their point, and he's a small, quick one. I'm sure Hurley would like Gilbert to give him great minutes tomorrow so Gaffney doesn't have to spend too long chasing around a little guy who is too quick for him. Will Gilbert play well enough offensively so we can ride his D? Who the heck knows.

Having said that, if (and it's a big if) Bouk can keep himself on the floor for 30 minutes a game, he has the ability to bring us a second piece that you can count on for at least a dozen every night and not totally disappearing offensively. Which would go a long way towards more offensive consistency as a team.

Reaction Score
Don’t sleep on this kid- I can see him being a double digit scorer come his senior year- his shot & moves will continue to get better as he gets experience- just go look at the jump he made this year from where he was as a freshman;

2018-2019- FG- 30.1% 3PT- 23.5%
2019-2020- FG- 41.9% 3PT- 31.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom