Adams 4-14, Vital, 6-16, Larrier 2-8. | The Boneyard

Adams 4-14, Vital, 6-16, Larrier 2-8.

Reaction Score
Those are the guys we count on to score. 12- 38. That's 31% if you're keeping score and, unfortunately, they were.

It didn't look that bad because we got contributions from other guys. Oh well. It sucks to us.

Reaction Score
Vital at least gets to the free throw line. They all shoot like s___, but that’s the reason why Vital is the most efficient scorer on the team. Jalen and Larrier avoid contact like the plague.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe this of season, instead of saying "get to the gym". The coach can say "get to the gym and do this, this and this. Them work on this..."

Reaction Score
Maybe this of season, instead of saying "get to the gym". The coach can say "get to the gym and do this, this and this. Them work on this..."
I don't mean to take Ollie's side, but if you can't hit a catch and shoot 3 at 35+% as a guard, you should know what you need to do in the gym.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think Vital is an acceptable shooter who has at least two strikes against him. The worst is that they don’t seem to run plays for him that let him shoot in rhythm. He’s quite good when his feet are set.

And that problem contributed to the second. Often bad shot selection. Not in rhythm, no sense of time on the clock etc. But part of that problem has to be attributable to coaching, both on play design and getting the kid to understand what a bad shot is. I think he’s our most reliable player. Not saying he’s great. Just that he’s a decent player.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
For every 3 Vital makes, we at least get the pleasure of the 2 arms in the air and the crowd stare.
I'm trying to remember the last Husky who did that.

Boo Willingham did it once after a dunk, but his arms were more in airplane wing formation.

Reaction Score

The best shooters in the game didn't need to be told. The best shooters in the game weren't asked to stay late or get there early or go there at midnight. We've read the stories about the kids from here who have improved because they know they need to work hard on their shot. If you're a shooter you will continue to be that unless you work you balls off to change that. This this don't happen in practice they happen on your own time. I think Vital is what he is, a streaky shooter who would be perfect on a better team. Larrier is a solid shooter who needs lots of space because he doesn't work hard enough to become a better ball handler in his own time. Jalen gets somewhat of a pass but in his case he better start using all of his extra time to get a mid range game that is like gold otherwise he's never going to see an NBA game. He's actually gone backwards shooting the ball but they are throwing double teams at him like mad knowing he's the only guy who can beat you with a special night.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't mean to take Ollie's side, but if you can't hit a catch and shoot 3 at 35+% as a guard, you should know what you need to do in the gym.
Clearly these guys don’t because if they did they would shoot better. Do you want to stand on ceremony or adjust the process to achieve better results?

Reaction Score
Clearly these guys don’t because if they did they would shoot better. Do you want to stand on ceremony or adjust the process to achieve better results?

I want kids who want to get better wearing the UConn uni, kids who really are "UCONN" kids but clearly we have fallen short. Vital is the only one who ever speaks of "UConn pride" from recent past and I love that, he gets it. We need more of him, heck even though he's wild and turns it over I now trust he's trying to do what's best for the program since he said that. Larrier? Not a UConn type no toughness, Jalen I'm not sure but he's not been blessed like other great guards with a bevy of good players around him to offset his rough nights.

He may be a crappy coach in game and maybe even in practice but one would hope he's at least attempted to instill "what it takes" to be everything you want to be, as he did. I mean that would be his strength one wold assume. Kids need to work harder on their own time, after practice and summer if they really want it. Shooting is a natural gift and if you don't have that then it would take hours upon hours to make yourself better. I hope that alarm goes off soon for Jalen because he is truly gifted.

Reaction Score
Just looking into vital line 6/16 n 13 were 3’s if he stops settling it would be for the betterment of our team, because he plays hard on both ends n he’s capable of drawling contact to shoot free throws, which he’s 80 plus ... so that’s My only knock on him .. the head scratcher shots from the team is devastating from Larrier, Adams, vital and Anderson.. n Whaley should never shoot

Reaction Score
VITAL had a double double 20pts 10reb.

Adams had 11 assists. But he shot like he was sick or injured. He needs to come back and develop a left hand.

Reaction Score
Recruit better shooters. Neils Giffey would probably be the best player on this team.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Vital is an acceptable shooter who has at least two strikes against him. The worst is that they don’t seem to run plays for him that let him shoot in rhythm. He’s quite good when his feet are set.

And that problem contributed to the second. Often bad shot selection. Not in rhythm, no sense of time on the clock etc. But part of that problem has to be attributable to coaching, both on play design and getting the kid to understand what a bad shot is. I think he’s our most reliable player. Not saying he’s great. Just that he’s a decent player.

The offense, as bad as it’s executed, is all a play for him to catch and shoot. It’s his job to get settled get his feet ready and take good shots.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

That’s not necessarily true. You think these guys had NO IDEA what to do to get better? There’s no option that they chose not to bust their butts getting better that’s why the results aren’t there?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The offense, as bad as it’s executed, is all a play for him to catch and shoot. It’s his job to get settled get his feet ready and take good shots.
Let Adams and Larrier know.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That’s not necessarily true. You think these guys had NO IDEA what to do to get better? There’s no option that they chose not to bust their butts getting better that’s why the results aren’t there?
I still go back to old Dr. Deming videos I watched 30 years ago. If the process isn't working you have to modify the process, not harangue the workers. "Busting butts" doesn't fix a broken process.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Recruit better shooters. Neils Giffey would probably be the best player on this team.

Maybe, but once he showed it, he'd be relegated to the pines with KW

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I still go back to old Dr. Deming videos I watched 30 years ago. If the process isn't working you have to modify the process, not harangue the workers. "Busting butts" doesn't fix a broken process.

I don’t disagree, just think it’s more on the players to develop in the off season, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t know drills or things to do to get better.

It’s on them too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom