2021 Recruiting: - Adama Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Adama Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No thanks. We're in really good shape with Sanogo and Etienne and they are better.
So we're in such good shape we can back off considering anybody else? Sanogo is a warrior but is just the kind of recruit that we don't seem to close at this point when he becomes the primary target of multiple programs. I haven't seen anything but clips on Etienne against modest competition, and his Suffield Academy team doesn't play the best teams that Putnam Science does. Do you really know for sure he is better? My guess is you haven't seen Putnam Science play in person and that you might change your mind. Our 'insiders' have said we are pushing for 'bigs'. Tom Moore stood against the wall under the basket for the entire Putnam Science game against New Hampton and New Hampton doesn't have a high D1 'big'. He could have been watching only guards Juju Murray and D'Maurian Williams, or, maybe we do have some interest evaluating their bigs in spite of the fact that we are in such good shape with Sanogo and Etienne, and that they are better. Because I am unlikely to see Putnam again this year, all I was asking was for somebody else's eyes to give a report on what they see in these guys. Elijah Hutchins-Everett certainly looked like a real prospect to me, but seeing a guy once doesn't tell the whole story. He's not the overall player of Sanogo, he's not the shooter that Etienne might be, but he is much bigger than both and owns the paint, (think Azubuke type big). 10Rbs in 17 minutes with Moore watching. If he plays like that regularly ….

As an aside, Putnam Science website for the 2019-2020 team has them beating The Patrick School 79-66 last Saturday Feb 8th 2pm and I wanted to see how Sanogo fared in the game. The Patrick school website doesn't have Putnam Science on the schedule and they played Wildewood Sat. at 7:30pm ????

Reaction Score
"One more year – I’m going to take my time and see what’s best for me.”

Is there a deadline by which he'd have to announce he's reclassifying? Everyone's different but he doesn't sound nearly as excited or sure about the prospect as Javonte Brown Ferguson was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"One more year – I’m going to take my time and see what’s best for me.”

Is there a deadline by which he'd have to announce he's reclassifying?
Tracking these reclass kids is difficult. But Richie Springs reclassified and signed with UConn in early/mid August 2019, so that might be a good baseline. Granted RS had to redshirt, but Hurley and Co seemingly anticipated him being able to play so take that work what it’s worth. If we go off that timeline, I’d say he can prolly reclassify anytime before the semester actually starts but maybe someone here can provide more clarity on that.

Reaction Score
I hate the fact that we’re going to have to face CJ Wilcher 2+ times a year for the next 4 years. He’s going to be a phenomenal college baller.
Dude can shoot and has unlimited range it looks like. Solid bodied guard too.

Reaction Score
Tracking these reclass kids is difficult. But Richie Springs reclassified and signed with UConn in early/mid August 2019, so that might be a good baseline. Granted RS had to redshirt, but Hurley and Co seemingly anticipated him being able to play so take that work what it’s worth. If we go off that timeline, I’d say he can prolly reclassify anytime before the semester actually starts but maybe someone here can provide more clarity on that.
Considering he would have to be enrolled in school and going to class, I would say that sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Andre Drummond reclassified a few days before school started.

Reaction Score
Is he taking ACT or SAT?
It seems he has 3 more times each for the tests.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

I remember that day clearly. That was when Hurricane Irene was moving up the coast and my family took a several day drive to Hershey, PA . There were problems with Wifi , etc and I lost touch with the Boneyard. I was walking around in my UConn shirt in Hershey Chocolate World and another UConn fan bumped into me and said we got Drummond !

Reaction Score

There's no NCAA rule as to timing. You just have to enroll in college for the fall semester and then the NCAA, like any other athlete, will make sure you're NCAA eligible.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Name is too similar to Kasongo. Pass.

Reaction Score
There's no NCAA rule as to timing. You just have to enroll in college for the fall semester and then the NCAA, like any other athlete, will make sure you're NCAA eligible.

this is the part i dont quite understand. shouldnt he have to make this decision sometime during his junior year of highschool (i.e. now) so that he's sure to graduate in 3 years instead of 4? don't you have to actually graduate from highschool in order to go to college?? or is the idea that he will finish his junior year with all the credits he needs to graduate, and it doesnt matter if he actually gets his diploma and he can just decide this summer he doesnt want to go back for his senior year and enroll in college instead? if it were that straight forward idk what went wrong with richie

Last edited:
Reaction Score
this is the part i dont quite understand. shouldnt he have to make this decision sometime during his junior year of highschool (i.e. now) so that he's sure to graduate in 3 years instead of 4? don't you have to actually graduate from highschool in order to go to college?? or is the idea that he will finish his junior year with all the credits he needs to graduate, and it doesnt matter if he actually gets his diploma? he can just decide this summer he doesnt want to go back for his senior year and enroll in college instead?

You have to have done whatever you have to do so that, when you enroll in college in the fall, you are NCAA eligible. But no one can give you a schedule for that. It's going to vary based on where he's in high school.

Most -- or at least many -- of those who reclassify are in their 5th year of secondary education, normally at a prep school at which they didn't start, and often don't need the 5th year for anything other than improving their basketball abilities.

Reaction Score
So we're in such good shape we can back off considering anybody else? Sanogo is a warrior but is just the kind of recruit that we don't seem to close at this point when he becomes the primary target of multiple programs. I haven't seen anything but clips on Etienne against modest competition, and his Suffield Academy team doesn't play the best teams that Putnam Science does. Do you really know for sure he is better? My guess is you haven't seen Putnam Science play in person and that you might change your mind. Our 'insiders' have said we are pushing for 'bigs'. Tom Moore stood against the wall under the basket for the entire Putnam Science game against New Hampton and New Hampton doesn't have a high D1 'big'. He could have been watching only guards Juju Murray and D'Maurian Williams, or, maybe we do have some interest evaluating their bigs in spite of the fact that we are in such good shape with Sanogo and Etienne, and that they are better. Because I am unlikely to see Putnam again this year, all I was asking was for somebody else's eyes to give a report on what they see in these guys. Elijah Hutchins-Everett certainly looked like a real prospect to me, but seeing a guy once doesn't tell the whole story. He's not the overall player of Sanogo, he's not the shooter that Etienne might be, but he is much bigger than both and owns the paint, (think Azubuke type big). 10Rbs in 17 minutes with Moore watching. If he plays like that regularly ….

As an aside, Putnam Science website for the 2019-2020 team has them beating The Patrick School 79-66 last Saturday Feb 8th 2pm and I wanted to see how Sanogo fared in the game. The Patrick school website doesn't have Putnam Science on the schedule and they played Wildewood Sat. at 7:30pm ????
I haven't seen either of them in person but the games I've watched online I love both their games. I'm greedy and want both of them but admit it's more likely we get one. Hutchins-Everett is obviously another high major and he has skills. He looks fairly slow and unathletic to me, I don't think we need more of that.

Reaction Score
You have to have done whatever you have to do so that, when you enroll in college in the fall, you are NCAA eligible. But no one can give you a schedule for that. It's going to vary based on where he's in high school.

Most -- or at least many -- of those who reclassify are in their 5th year of secondary education, normally at a prep school at which they didn't start, and often don't need the 5th year for anything other than improving their basketball abilities.

right i get the post grad concept. maybe i'm sticking my nose where it doesnt belong but him being listed in the class of 2021 since the summer, must mean he's a traditional junior, no?....otherwise it would mean he's a senior that committed to playing as a 5th year post grad before his senior year even began, which seems odd

Last edited:
Reaction Score
right i get the post grad concept. maybe i'm sticking my nose where it doesnt belong but for him to have been listed in the class of 2021 since the summer, must mean he's a traditional junior, no?....otherwise it would mean he's a senior that committed to playing as a 5th year post grad before his senior year even began, which seems odd

I think most players and sites use the year they are anticipating finishing with their secondary education, even if it's their fifth year.

But you're asking questions not about NCAA rules but how various kids and recruiting sites use a term, so no one can promise you consistency.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To me - while talent is always important, it's really more about whether the talent fits. And to me - he's the precisely the kind of guy we've totally lacked for the last few years. He reminds me A LOT of Jeff Adrian but just better, frankly.

Like Adrien - he's athletic, extremely physical - does an excellent job of facing the basket and utilizes a really strong first step from the high post to make his way to the basket and score around the rim. He's got incredible rebounding ability. He's strong, always lurking and trying to make things happen - particularly on the offense glass and plays with a real intensity.

What he has over Jeff is he's just... bigger. He's 6'9, where Jeff was undersized.. He has better hands and overall touch and I believe a slightly longer wingspan, too.

When I watched him, I thought he played defense well, but there's clear weaknesses and holes there. He goes hard on the glass and loves being posted up. But he has a really hard time staying in front of guys who aggressive ball-handling forwards. He's quick, but he lacks lateral quickness on defense if that makes sense. But on this team - you can really live with that with Javonte Brown Ferguson's length and then Akok, Springs, etc lurking down there. It's a def. hole in his game he's gotta work on, but like I said - you can live with it given the composition of what'll be around him.

But yeah I mean - he'd be the guy i'd be all over and then some right now. I like him so much more than Cliff I almost don't know where to start - not just as a basketball player - but as a fit here. He ate Cliff alive last week.

I don't know about "better" than Jeff Adrien. He's a different player in a different era. Adrien was a classic strong, but not tall 4 that could jump and play facing (in close) or back to the basket. Basically a poor man's Charles Barkley.

Sanogo is a 2020 era center. Even in the NBA we are seeing powerful, mobile 6'8-6'10" guys playing center (or even Russell Westbrook). It wasn't possible in the Kareem, Olajuwan, Ewing era. But with four out offenses, that mobility and quickness, plus the strength to hold ground is the key to defending the position. He's an ideal fit for how Hurley wants us to play. While I'm told he's not a shooter now, I suspect if he comes her Hurley will have him practice outside shooting a ton. Ideally you want that 5 to be able to set a ball screen and either roll or step back for a pass and make a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom