Adama and Donovan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adama and Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has it been discussed about how almost every time Adama hedged out on a guard well above the 3 pt. line in the CU game Kalkbrenner back door dunked. After it happened once or twice you would think they would make the adjustment, it's not like CU had someone torching the nets from the outside. That was absolutely ridiculous.

But let’s keep doing it right? Lol nice coaching adjustment. Maybe worry a bit more about covering the big guy and making someone take a jumper or maybe grab some zone? Nah

Reaction Score
I don’t expect a shocking departure like Hamilton and remember that was as the ship was beginning to sink under the old regime. Sanogo i think will be looking to be the big east player of the year next season. So our biggest frontcourt piece from this season will not be different.
I agree that we probably won't have a shocking departure, but to be fair that's what makes it shocking is it's not expected

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Adama returns? Does anyone thing he'll be in the NBA after this season? Adama reminds me of what Emeka Okafor was in his sophomore year during the 2002/03 season...the year Uconn nearly beat Texas in the sweet 16. An look what happened a year later when Okafor helped carry Uconn to a title and was #2 pick in NBA draft. Imagine how good Sanogo will be if he follows the same pattern as Okafor and stays as a junior...he may win Uconn another title and be a high lottery pick.

The way the NBA is nowadays, Sanogo will never be a high lottery pick. That being said, he showed so much improvement from Freshman to Sophomore year that I expect him to continue improving and be able to play some minutes at the 4 next year so he and Donovan can play together here and there. I don't think it will be a lineup we show that much, but then again I don't think Donovan will be ready for more than 10-15 minutes at the most next year with the depth we have.

Reaction Score
The key to Sanogo being in the NBA has to be the 3 point shot. I think he has always shown real nice tough and if he could extend out to the 3 point line than maybe he would have a shot. But the reality of the NBA is that if you cannot protect the rim or hit threes then there is much room for you

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Clingan will get playing time immediately next year. The whole idea that he is not ready because he decided to stay at Bristol Central is absurd. It's not like he has never played basketball against guys he will see in college. He's played plenty of AAU games against college level players over the years. He is a skilled 7'2" (let me repeat 7'2") big man. I see him playing at least 10+ minutes a game as a freshman. In those minutes he will do things that will wow us. Will he foul out occasionally in those minutes? Yes. That's ok because he won't be expected to play 30 minutes every game. Adama and DC can more that coexist, they can make each other better. Let's say Adama plays 28 minutes a game and DC plays 12. That's 40 minutes of hell for our opponents imho.

Reaction Score
1988-89, both freshmen
Alonzo Mourning 6-10 averaged 28.3 minutes
Dikembe Mutombo 7-2 averaged 11.3 minutes

Obviously not identical situations but 7-2 is 7-2.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Donavan plays the Cyrulik role as a freshman.
You mean scoring his career high against St. John's in his first game at Gampel?
Or teaming with Springs or Johnson (if AS is out) and leading us to a win over a team with two 7 footers in the Big East Semi?

Reaction Score
forget polley's haircut, what does he mean by their uconn careers are not over yet? that they have at least 3 more games to play or that theyre coming back?
He definitely means that they have some games left this year, hopefully about 10.

Reaction Score
Clingan will get playing time immediately next year. The whole idea that he is not ready because he decided to stay at Bristol Central is absurd. It's not like he has never played basketball against guys he will see in college. He's played plenty of AAU games against college level players over the years. He is a skilled 7'2" (let me repeat 7'2") big man. I see him playing at least 10+ minutes a game as a freshman. In those minutes he will do things that will wow us. Will he foul out occasionally in those minutes? Yes. That's ok because he won't be expected to play 30 minutes every game. Adama and DC can more that coexist, they can make each other better. Let's say Adama plays 28 minutes a game and DC plays 12. That's 40 minutes of hell for our opponents imho.
There is a 0% chance Sanogo plays <30min/game unless he's in foul trouble or we're winning by 30+

Reaction Score
I will be happy if we get any level of production from Clingan next season. I'm in the group that thinks he'll have a similar freshman season to Samson Johnson.

And that shouldn't be a reason to assume the sky is falling. Bigs take a while to develop. Sanogo is not the norm.

Reaction Score
The key to Sanogo being in the NBA has to be the 3 point shot. I think he has always shown real nice tough and if he could extend out to the 3 point line than maybe he would have a shot. But the reality of the NBA is that if you cannot protect the rim or hit threes then there is much room for you
Absolutely. So you’d figure it will be a big thing he focuses on this off-season. If he can knock down a 3 or two per game, I think there’s hope they can play together 10 minutes or more per game. As of now. Sanogo never even attempts a 3 so there’s a lot of work to do. I can’t see him going after this year.

Reaction Score
I also think Sanogo stays at least 1 more year. That being said I think it is going to be hard to replace Whaley's defense and intangibles next year. I thought maybe they would have tried to groom Springs a little this year for that role - but apparently not. So I do not see an obvious choice to fill that role next year except Akok, but he needs to put another 20 pounds on first.

Reaction Score
I agree that we probably won't have a shocking departure, but to be fair that's what makes it shocking is it's not expected
Lol good point, I’ll say any unwise departures for the nba.

Reaction Score
DC has the skill and the the mind set of a champion.
His presence along with AK with better outside shooting will make UCONN a presence next year. Cole has to stay. Then he can go on the wall next to Kemba.

Reaction Score
Clingan will get playing time immediately next year. The whole idea that he is not ready because he decided to stay at Bristol Central is absurd.
Maybe.

But the argument that he's not ready because he hasn't had time in a college-level strength and conditioning program, which will make him a liability on defense isn't absurd and has nothing to do with where he's playing HS basketball.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Donovan has a couple inches on Adama but he’s noticeably slower. I don’t think the two could play much together and I don’t think we get much out of Clingan his first year.

It’s hard to tell what, if any, impact he’s going to have because he played at Bristol and the competition is abysmal.
@WingU-Conn, I was commenting on the last sentence of the quote above. I don't think his staying at BC is going to delay his development. I think the kid will be a beast for UConn and that he will good enough as a freshman to get 10 minutes a game off the bench. My post had nothing to do with S&C.

Reaction Score
I am not super concerned though about their fit. I really think that is Sanogo improves his shot selection by 10% and his shooting by 10% and just gets a little smarter with the ball (all of these I think are realistic) we could be looking at a 18 and 11 averages type of guy who is an all american. Clingan as a freshman can play all the minutes without sanogo lets say 10 a game and then become the starter as a freshman. I know johnson hasnt shown much but in a theoretical sense he could be perfect compliment at the 4 to both sanogo and clingan

Reaction Score
I don't think Clingan will be playing a lot next year, the jump from CIAC ball to D1 basketball is HUGE and he'll need some time, I think it's more likely we see Samson start next to Sanogo next year, especially if he can make a leap, accustomed to sharing the floor as high school teammates as well. Which is a better fit I think.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sanogo, Springs, Clingan, Johnson, Akok...That's 3/5 not very mobile bigs that are exclusively 5s, with the hope that Akok or Johnson can put enough together to play the 4 consistently

Someone mentioned it earlier...kind of a weird roster that doesn't really jive with how Hurley seems to want to play
Akok is possibly the fastest guy on the team and shouldn't play the 5. He is definitely a 4. Johnson is pretty mobile and was brought in to be a long stretch 4 (but Hurley used him as a 5 so far). Springs...haven't seen enough. Clingan, yes, isn't very mobile. Least mobile of all the guys you listed. I would even say Sanogo has above average mobility for a 5.

It is a weird roster in some ways. But one thing you need if you hard hedge with your 5, is a rim protector at the 4. We saw it briefly against DePaul when Akok had 3 blocks in a couple of minutes sliding over to help while Sanogo was hedging. It's why he is such a good fit defensively with Sanogo. Johnson needs to learn how to do that as well. With Clingan, I hope they mostly just leave him in the paint. With his length he can bother shooters without getting that close to them.

Reaction Score
I don't think Clingan will be playing a lot next year, the jump from CIAC ball to D1 basketball is HUGE and he'll need some time, I think it's more likely we see Samson start next to Sanogo next year, especially if he can make a leap, accustomed to sharing the floor as high school teammates as well. Which is a better fit I think.

Sanogo is going to command 30 mpg next year or more. Donovan only needs to be able to fill in those last 10 to have an extremely successful season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I will be happy if we get any level of production from Clingan next season. I'm in the group that thinks he'll have a similar freshman season to Samson Johnson.
Johnson, who Hurley expects to be an NBA player. I think we are forgetting that DC is behind Sanogo and Johnson, based on how Dan uses his roster. I can't project Akok, but he or Johnson are the 4s next year, and Johnson is also the primary backup 5, not Clingan. Springs? Who knows. Hard to believe he can be here so long and never play.

Reaction Score
@WingU-Conn, I was commenting on the last sentence of the quote above. I don't think his staying at BC is going to delay his development. I think the kid will be a beast for UConn and that he will good enough as a freshman to get 10 minutes a game off the bench. My post had nothing to do with S&C.
Thank you for adding the context. I understand you weren't posting about S&C. My point is that his S&C that will keep him from playing meaningful minutes, not the competition in the CIAC.

I don't care if he's coming from Bristol Central or Oak Hill, I think he needs time in a college level S&C program so I don't expect him to play anything more than spot minutes as a freshman.

Will be rooting for him to prove me wrong. But I fear the reaction from this place to both DC and Hurley if he is only playing in blowouts.

Reaction Score
I assumed Clingan would play as Sanogo's backup, no? That could be 7-8 mins a game or if Sanogo gets in foul trouble he could see 20+ mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom