Adama and Donovan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adama and Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Wasnt really counting samson but he and polley are about the same size. You could give or take 1/2 inch either way. Especially since Polley has the bushy top now :)

Ive seen Donovan on the concourse at games a bunch this year. There is big and there is BIG. He is BIG. A legit 7 plus footer in a world full of inflated heights.
not anymore :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It might happen but it shouldn't. Adama isn't a good defender. We have no idea what Hurley will do with Clingan he could get the Diggins treatment. He could get the bouknight treatment it's really depends on how he plays.
You mean practices

Reaction Score
Donovan has a couple inches on Adama but he’s noticeably slower. I don’t think the two could play much together and I don’t think we get much out of Clingan his first year.

It’s hard to tell what, if any, impact he’s going to have because he played at Bristol and the competition is abysmal.
Is he really that much slower or is he just so big that it looks like he doesn't move that fast

Reaction Score
No, he needs to be near the rim where he can dissuade people from getting to the hoop and block shots. It's not normal that we hard hedge with all our big guys all the time. Whaley is great at it, Sanogo is just okay at it. Hurley has to be able to coach to player strengths.
That's what I thought...Hopefully DH wouldn't recruit him if he planned to play him like Whaley/sanogo play.

That's always been an indicator of a great coach IMO...adapting your style to fit your personnel...and doing things that maybe your opponent didn't expect...like Belichek only throwing 3x in Buffalo during that wind storm....or Parcells switching to a defensive alignment in the box they never used before in a playoff game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Absolutely not.

Clingan will be a straight backup at the 5, and that's fine for a freshman big who's played God-awful competition and won't be used to high-major speed and athleticism.

The more interesting question is: what happens if Sanogo comes back for a 4th year (everyone assumes he's an early-entrant guy, but I don't see it yet) and Clingan is ready for big minutes as a sophomore?

Reaction Score
Sanogo, Springs, Clingan, Johnson, Akok...That's 3/5 not very mobile bigs that are exclusively 5s, with the hope that Akok or Johnson can put enough together to play the 4 consistently

Someone mentioned it earlier...kind of a weird roster that doesn't really jive with how Hurley seems to want to play

Reaction Score
Absolutely not.

Clingan will be a straight backup at the 5, and that's fine for a freshman big who's played God-awful competition and won't be used to high-major speed and athleticism.

The more interesting question is: what happens if Sanogo comes back for a 4th year (everyone assumes he's an early-entrant guy, but I don't see it yet) and Clingan is ready for big minutes as a sophomore?
Purdue makes it work well with Edey and Williams.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought...Hopefully DH wouldn't recruit him if he planned to play him like Whaley/sanogo play.

That's always been an indicator of a great coach IMO...adapting your style to fit your personnel...and doing things that maybe your opponent didn't expect...like Belichek only throwing 3x in Buffalo during that wind storm....or Parcells switching to a defensive alignment in the box they never used before in a playoff game.
^^^^ this. A+

Reaction Score
Sanogo, Springs, Clingan, Johnson, Akok...That's 3/5 not very mobile bigs that are exclusively 5s, with the hope that Akok or Johnson can put enough together to play the 4 consistently

Someone mentioned it earlier...kind of a weird roster that doesn't really jive with how Hurley seems to want to play
Karaban might be the answer. My guess is Karaban and Johnson split time at 4. Adama and Donovan at the 5. Not that optimistic on Akok. Hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
Adama isn't a good defender.
Disagree respectfully. He looks pretty good to me, holds position well, and he is improving on defense each time I see him.

But it would be great if Adama can teach Clingan how to execute footwork around the basket. I can't think of anyone on previous UConn teams with footwork as good as his. And, while he's at it, he can teach Clingan how to use the little hook- man, with his height, he'd be deadly.

Reaction Score
It’s gotta be around 99% chance that Sanogo comes back unless you’ve seen something that nobody has regarding him.
I hope he comes back and I don’t think he’s a first round pick or anything but guys leave early all the time without that guarantee. It hasn’t happened to us much…Deandre and Hamilton come to mind but in general uconn players have historically not taken the risk of leaving without knowing. Some guys leave other schools knowing there’s a good chance they aren’t drafted but because they think they can develop better in the pros.

But the rest of the frontcourt that plays is Whaley, Polley, and I guess Martin who are all gone and I would think akok might think about a change of scenery

Reaction Score
Has it been discussed about how almost every time Adama hedged out on a guard well above the 3 pt. line in the CU game Kalkbrenner back door dunked. After it happened once or twice you would think they would make the adjustment, it's not like CU had someone torching the nets from the outside. That was absolutely ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The only time Donovan will be on the court with Adama they will be shaking hands. Freshman year for Donovan will be marked by his head spinning at the pace of the game. His playing time will depend solely on the frequency of UConn blowouts. Sophomore year I think he will see some meaningful minutes and by his Junior year he could be all conference level.
Meh, agree to disagree on year 1 (and 2). He’ll be a lot stronger by the time next season starts. And you can’t teach 7’+, with a basketball aptitude. I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
not anymore :)

forget polley's haircut, what does he mean by their uconn careers are not over yet? that they have at least 3 more games to play or that theyre coming back?

Reaction Score
Just for the record if Cole and Martin choose to come back they can as they each have the extra Covid year the NCAA bestowed upon everyone who played last year.
I know. I was just showing the roster if they leave. (For what it's worth, it's really looking like that's going to be the case.)

Reaction Score
if adama returns, it's gonna be big fun to watch donny jackin 3's while Mr. O Boards is camping out in the box, grabbing anything he can get to.
i was told here, way back when mr clingan announced, that he wouldn't get 30 jacks in his entire 4 year career here.
as if.....
if adama doesn't return, well, let's just say that is a whole new kettle of fish, and a bridge that we will cross when we get to it.
If Adama returns? Does anyone thing he'll be in the NBA after this season? Adama reminds me of what Emeka Okafor was in his sophomore year during the 2002/03 season...the year Uconn nearly beat Texas in the sweet 16. An look what happened a year later when Okafor helped carry Uconn to a title and was #2 pick in NBA draft. Imagine how good Sanogo will be if he follows the same pattern as Okafor and stays as a junior...he may win Uconn another title and be a high lottery pick.

Reaction Score
I hope he comes back and I don’t think he’s a first round pick or anything but guys leave early all the time without that guarantee. It hasn’t happened to us much…Deandre and Hamilton come to mind but in general uconn players have historically not taken the risk of leaving without knowing. Some guys leave other schools knowing there’s a good chance they aren’t drafted but because they think they can develop better in the pros.

But the rest of the frontcourt that plays is Whaley, Polley, and I guess Martin who are all gone and I would think akok might think about a change of scenery
I don’t expect a shocking departure like Hamilton and remember that was as the ship was beginning to sink under the old regime. Sanogo i think will be looking to be the big east player of the year next season. So our biggest frontcourt piece from this season will not be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom