Adam Silver changes stance on age-limit rule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adam Silver changes stance on age-limit rule

Reaction Score
I mean, you'd also be welcome to go straight to the D League out of high school (the equivalent of the minor leagues). You wouldn't be forced to go to college.

Do you happen to know if baseball players are allowed to be paid by their pro clubs while they're in college? That has always been the optimal settlement in my mind, where guys can be drafted straight out of high school and then stashed by their employers in college while they develop. I'm fairly certain that's how it works in hockey, but I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Reaction Score
Do you happen to know if baseball players are allowed to be paid by their pro clubs while they're in college? That has always been the optimal settlement in my mind, where guys can be drafted straight out of high school and then stashed by their employers in college while they develop. I'm fairly certain that's how it works in hockey, but I'm not familiar with the specifics.
No they get a specific window to sign out of high school once that closes and they enroll at a university the team loses their rights and the player's ineligible until after their junior year

Reaction Score
This is good for the game. It won't hurt Duke. As much as I can't stand him, K can coach. Kentucky I think will have a more difficult adjustment. And overall it will get a bunch of kids and hangers on who have neither interest nor business being in college but are basically looking for a place to get to hang for a year out of the business. I'm guessing that over time the number of players going directly out of high school drops since there will be many flame outs and guys whose handlers feed them big dreams but don't end up in the NBA. So they end up playing in front of 2000 in Portland Maine or somewhere.

Reaction Score
other than Kentucky in 12 and Duke in 15 (who both had close NCAA championship games) most champions since 2006 weren't reliant on one and done players.

Some were helped by them, UNC last year, but the one and dones aren't dominating college basketball.

But UNC, Duke, and Kentucky have won championships without one and dones.

The guys that can coach and/or recruit the best available players will be the guys who win the most games.
Who did UNC have that was a one and done? Wasn't Jackson a sophmore?

Reaction Score
I actually hope that this is the start of a real minor league system where players sign out of high school if they want to. Then the NCAA ought to step in and do something about the transfer stuff. Sitting for a year doesn't seem to be enough. It's like free agent signing period each spring. Maybe require transfers to lose the year they sit out.

Reaction Score
Who did UNC have that was a one and done? Wasn't Jackson a sophmore?
Tony Bradley, who admittedly didn't have that big of a role, which kind of reinforces my point.

And Jackson was actually a junior

Reaction Score
Tony Bradley, who admittedly didn't have that big of a role, which kind of reinforces my point.

And Jackson was actually a junior
ah, thought your point was that they had one and dones that helped them to the title last year, which really wasn't the case

Reaction Score
I actually hope that this is the start of a real minor league system where players sign out of high school if they want to. Then the NCAA ought to step in and do something about the transfer stuff. Sitting for a year doesn't seem to be enough. It's like free agent signing period each spring. Maybe require transfers to lose the year they sit out.

Personally I have no problem with the transfers. Real students can transfer any time they feel like it and IMO student atthletes should too.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I think it's either none or two. Get rid of the rule completely or make them stay in college for two years. Either way would improve the college turnover problem imo, I'd think the latter would prevent U.K. And Duke from getting all the top players every season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't like it simply from what it would do to on campus dynamics with the regular students. If you are going to go down that road, might as well just making college sports into minor leagues. Do away with academics on campus housing affiliation in anyway with the student body or activities and so on and so forth.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is good for the game. It won't hurt Duke. As much as I can't stand him, K can coach. Kentucky I think will have a more difficult adjustment. And overall it will get a bunch of kids and hangers on who have neither interest nor business being in college but are basically looking for a place to get to hang for a year out of the business. I'm guessing that over time the number of players going directly out of high school drops since there will be many flame outs and guys whose handlers feed them big dreams but don't end up in the NBA. So they end up playing in front of 2000 in Portland Maine or somewhere.

Cal has always been able to get his teams to succeed. I despise the man, but be can coach. One and done culture or not; Memphis, UMASS et al. I mean, he wouldn't trot out the same lineups of course, but he'd still get 5 5-star kids on the court.

He's the greatest promoter in MCBB, maybe in MCBB history. He'll still be front and center with UK in the national exposure department.

Reaction Score
I never really liked the one and done thing. For those who went to Uconn, Andree Drummond being the only one and done and Rudy gay being a two and done, I never developed a connection with them like I did with Napier, Boatright, Walker, Toby Kimball, Wes Bialosuknia and Art Quimby, among quite a few others. If the only way for us to win a championship is with 1 and dones, I would just as soon pass. These players have no loyalty or attachment to the school, only to themselves, so I have no attachment to them.

Let everyone go to the NBA right out of high school. Those that do not, do not draft them until they are 21 or juniors in college. This would work great in my opinion.

Further it is quite clear that the 1 and dones are not student athletes; they are athletes who are attending college because they are too young for the NBA. Which means that colleges are just farm teams for professional basketball and the athletes are not really there to get an education. But, we knew that. Even if the NCAA won't admit it. Why do universities allow themselves to be used in this way?

Two players who left too early, DHam after 2 years and DeAndre Daniels after 3, saw those dollar signs in their eyes but they were not ready and they have not done very well in professional basketball.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Good idea? Yes.

Do I think he is serious or that any significant change will come to the rule? HELL NO.

No matter how much people complain they fail to realize it's the NBA's rule and not the NCAA and since enacting it the NBA's draft has run much more smoothly for franchises. GMs aren't losing sleep anymore over drafting an 18 year old whose never played anyone of value when they can just let colleges filter out the Tyrus Thomas' and Kwame Browns for them in addition to all the free advertisement and hype built up for their new franchise addition.

This rule simply helps too many parties at the top of both leagues to ever change.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This would have far more of a negative impact on the players than the current system (although I would like it as a fan).

I also don't understand why people act like 18 is less arbitrary an age than any other for a player to become draft eligible. Is it because they are legally an adult? Because the age requirement wouldn't seem to be any different to me than requiring a prospective employee to have a college degree for a different business. There is the caveat that these players are being hired by the franchise and not the league, but that's the point of the CBA - if the owners collectively bargain to postpone the moment of truth in an effort to improve their accuracy in identifying players, I can't fault them for that.

I think graduating high-school at the bare minimum. I mean, if age is indeed arbitrary, why not draft 15 year Olds and stash them? . LeBron would have been drafted in 6th grade

Reaction Score
Personally I have no problem with the transfers. Real students can transfer any time they feel like it and IMO student atthletes should too.
That's a false dichotomy.
The difference is typical students pay to go to college. Even then they could suffer penalties that increase their investment
BB players get compensated for it and a school invests a lot of money in the kid,
Even before the kid steps one foot on campus thousands could already be invested.
Transfers can also be dings against APR. which may result in financial damage to an institution.

Reaction Score
The difference is typical students pay to go to college. Even then they could suffer penalties that increase their investment
BB players get compensated for it and a school invests a lot of money in the kid,
Even before the kid steps one foot on campus thousands could already be invested.
Transfers can also be dings against APR. which may result in financial damage to an institution.

I'm not sure what you mean by dichotomy here? I'm not creating two options, you are. I think you might mean false equivalency? Not trying to be an idiot or jerk, I just don't understand and I might be missing something.

And I don't disagree completely. I think the issue is with football and basketball more than other sports. Particularly high major. The difference between a10 and acc basketball is,huge. Those kids really do get a ton of money spent on them. think we need a different rule set for high major bball and football and interscholastix curling, cheerleading etc.

Reaction Score
I never really liked the one and done thing. For those who went to UConn, Andree Drummond being the only one and done and Rudy gay being a two and done, I never developed a connection with them like I did with Napier, Boatright, Walker, Toby Kimball, Wes Bialosuknia and Art Quimby, among quite a few others. If the only way for us to win a championship is with 1 and dones, I would just as soon pass. These players have no loyalty or attachment to the school, only to themselves, so I have no attachment to them.

Let everyone go to the NBA right out of high school. Those that do not, do not draft them until they are 21 or juniors in college. This would work great in my opinion.

Further it is quite clear that the 1 and dones are not student athletes; they are athletes who are attending college because they are too young for the NBA. Which means that colleges are just farm teams for professional basketball and the athletes are not really there to get an education. But, we knew that. Even if the NCAA won't admit it. Why do universities allow themselves to be used in this way?

Two players who left too early, DHam after 2 years and DeAndre Daniels after 3, saw those dollar signs in their eyes but they were not ready and they have not done very well in professional basketball.
I didn't mind Daniels leaving when he did. His stock was unlikely to improve after another year, and he had a shot to get paid while he developed. Might not have worked out as he'd hoped, but I certainly don't blame him.
I agree completely on DHAM, and certainly wished we could have had Rudy for another year.

Reaction Score
If this means that The Squid will have to do some coaching and scratching for players that won't step in and be the top players out of HS. Gut tells me this may be the beginning of the end for The Squid and he will go into some executive type position in the pros claiming college burnout. While I believe that K can better handle this, he may also hit the road. This will definitely bring the playing field into a more balanced level.
We'll see if any of this comes to life.
Coach K isnt going anywhere but youre spot on with Squid. Hes been able to cover his coaching deficiencies with the best recruiting classes the game has ever seen year after year. The gravy train ends for him when the NBA lets high school kids into the league again.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I disagree with this.

If you think a kid is smart enough to pick his school, he's smart enough to make his own damn professional decisions. Say what you want, but the success of the one and done players has been pretty damn good.

Durant, Mike Conley, Rose, Love, Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, Derozen, John Wall, Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Hassan Whiteside, Kyrie, Tristan Thompson, Brow, Drummond, Noel, Steven Adams, Embiid (when healthy, which had he stayed in college his stock woudl've been tanked by now), KAT, Myles Turner, Devin Booker

And yes, there is a really good run of players for soph as well.

HOWEVER...the reality is most of the guys who stayed until their soph or jr year needed to. It's why the older a a draft is the more scouts bemoan it's lack of talent and upside. And no matter what age you put up there, some kids are going to make stupid decisions due to bad advice/handlers, or just leave cause they're sick of being in college anymore and just want to get paid somewhere to play ball. And it seems unlikely that kids will develp more spending less time on basketball in college than they would as professionals.

This just means the NBA should pony up and do a real D-League where guys can go straight out of HS to develop, like baseball. let each team have a franchise that they subsidize. eligibility is similar to college in terms of timeline. The article posted above talks about this. All this development talk is interesting considering you see how guys like Jamison, Michael Redd and now Kawai Leonard have radically changed their games since college by having more time to develop as a professional. True development takes place by having the teams have more invested in these guys by being able to take them at 18 and mold them right away. It could still be a part of the nba draft (even though it's only an arbitrary construct for deflating salaries and generating TV revenue).

I think at 2 years you'd see more kids taking the Terrance Ferguson route, the top of the class players like an Ayton or a La Bamba would probably be smart to do it. Go to China, get paid a ton and then hit the draft.

Reaction Score
I always thought Tom Izzo had the most rational take on this rule:

Allow high schoolers the option to leave straight out of high school, but if they decide to go to college, they must stay for at least two seasons.

Reaction Score
The NCAA could stop this 1-done crap if it wanted to but it doesn't. They pretend thAt there is nothing they can do. But if they didn't let you reuse a scholarship for 2 years suddenly coaches would be more careful about who they recruited. Let's face it, if Cal knew he'd have to go two years with 8 scholarships or maybe even a year with 6 and 1 with 8 he would not be as inclined to land all those 1 year wonders.

But overall I agree that the NBA would do well to go the baseball route in terms of a minor league. If you draft a kid who isn't ready he doesn't count against the cap until he makes the big club. End this charade.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The NCAA could stop this 1-done crap if it wanted to but it doesn't. They pretend thAt there is nothing they can do. But if they didn't let you reuse a scholarship for 2 years suddenly coaches would be more careful about who they recruited. Let's face it, if Cal knew he'd have to go two years with 8 scholarships or maybe even a year with 6 and 1 with 8 he would not be as inclined to land all those 1 year wonders.

This has been my argument for years. It's easy for the NCAA to rectify, they just don't want to do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom