Adam Finkelstein Roster Preview | The Boneyard

Adam Finkelstein Roster Preview

Reaction Score
who isnt expecting ball and stew to be critically important? based on givony's scouting report one of them is gonna start (prob ball) and the other is gonna be our 6th man (prob stew).

Reaction Score
who isnt expecting ball and stew to be critically important? based on givony's scouting report one of them is gonna start (prob ball) and the other is gonna be our 6th man (prob stew).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most common lineup projection I've seen has them both off the bench.

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed/Johnson

Reaction Score
"Solo Ball & Jaylin Stewart could be more than important than most expect"...who is the most in that statement?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, when Finkelstein qualifies his statement with "could" he can't ever be wrong. So there's that. His perspective might also means one or both of them are closer to 15 point scorers than they are 8-10 point scorers.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most common lineup projection I've seen has them both off the bench.

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed/Johnson
givony's projected starting lineup was:

diarra
ball/stew
liam
alex
samson/reed

he had glowing reviews for ball and stew, not so much for aidan. i was disappointed to read that b/c i think we need aidan's ball handling and facilitating ability in the starting lineup, but unfortunately it's consistent w/ most of the boneyard scouting reports after the open practice earlier this summer

Last edited:
Reaction Score

diarra
ball/stew
liam
alex
samson/reed

he had glowing reviews for ball and stew, not so much for aidan. i was disappointed to read that b/c i think we need aidan's ball handling and facilitating ability in the starting lineup, but unfortunately it's consistent w/ a lot of the boneyard scouting reports after the open practice earlier this summer

Correct. That's one guy. I'm talking about everyone else. I don't recall seeing a lineup without Mahaney starting anywhere, but I could be misremembering.

Reaction Score
Correct. That's one guy. I'm talking about everyone else. I don't recall seeing a lineup without Mahaney starting anywhere, but I could be misremembering.

That's odd...I feel like I've seen very little starting lineup projections involving Mahaney lately - maybe right after he committed, but not much since as the reports on him have been a bit lackluster. To me, it seems like he is still finding his footing and will get better as the season goes along, but him being a starter feels like it would be surprising at this point.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

diarra
ball/stew
liam
alex
samson/reed

he had glowing reviews for ball and stew, not so much for aidan. i was disappointed to read that b/c i think we need aidan's ball handling and facilitating ability in the starting lineup, but unfortunately it's consistent w/ most of the boneyard scouting reports after the open practice earlier this summer
It will be what it is. I think Finkelstein is largely speaking to a group that doesn't know as much about our roster as we do. My take is simply: the gap between Mahaney/Ball and McNeely/Stewart is very small, less than many outsiders might realize. Indeed the gap, if there is one, may not even been in the expected direction. Any of those four could start or come off the bench.

Reaction Score
givony is the best nba scout right now so i'm giving his report a lot of weight

Reaction Score
Borges also put out a starting lineup prediction without Mahaney. But I don't put much stock into any of these predictions with only 1 day of fall practice. Diarra was gonna start over Newton when they both got here, until game 1 lineups came out and it was Newton.

People seem to be really down on Mahaney on this board, but I think it's mostly just people conflating positive Ball quotes with being negative Mahaney quotes. I'd still be pretty surprised if Mahaney isn't starting, even if it's next to Ball

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
And we know that the starting lineup through (at least early) OOC play changes as the new/younger players gain real in-game experience. Last year we saw the lineup switch once we started getting deeper into the season and I'd expect to see similar this year.

Reaction Score
givony is the best nba scout right now so i'm giving his report a lot of weight
Givony watched one practice and perhaps is judging by NBA potential instead of impact on the 2024/2025 UConn Huskies.

There is a ton of Ball talk so I won't be shocked if he starts, but there was a ton of Ball talk by commentators all last year, too.

Reaction Score
Borges also put out a starting lineup prediction without Mahaney. But I don't put much stock into any of these predictions with only 1 day of fall practice. Diarra was gonna start over Newton when they both got here, until game 1 lineups came out and it was Newton.

People seem to be really down on Mahaney on this board, but I think it's mostly just people conflating positive Ball quotes with being negative Mahaney quotes. I'd still be pretty surprised if Mahaney isn't starting, even if it's next to Ball

Agreed.

Reaction Score
And we know that the starting lineup through (at least early) OOC play changes as the new/younger players gain real in-game experience. Last year we saw the lineup switch once we started getting deeper into the season and I'd expect to see similar this year.
the starting lineup or the rotation? i dont recall a lineup change in either of the last 2 seasons unless youre referring to Ball/Castle which was due to Castles injury

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Am I wrong? I thought the starting lineup had a few changes but maybe I am mistaken and it was mostly the bench order. Regardless, I do think DH has matured as a coach and isn't afraid to shuffle players if he sees fit. I'm kinda expecting Diarra & Johnson to both start the season but either could be moved to 2nd team depending on how new players shakeout. I'd have a hard time believing we'd start a game with only AK as the vet at the beginning of the season but later on...

Reaction Score
Am I wrong? I thought the starting lineup had a few changes but maybe I am mistaken and it was mostly the bench order. Regardless, I do think DH has matured as a coach and isn't afraid to shuffle players if he sees fit. I'm kinda expecting Diarra & Johnson to both start the season but either could be moved to 2nd team depending on how new players shakeout. I'd have a hard time believing we'd start a game with only AK as the vet at the beginning of the season but later on...

If Hassan and Mahaney start then there would be 2 more vets. Add Reed there would be 4 if with McNeeley. Will be interesting although I don’t think the first lineup thrown out game 1 will be the same as Jan-Feb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom