AD: ECU will feel financial crunch next 2-3 years | The Boneyard

AD: ECU will feel financial crunch next 2-3 years

Reaction Score
Some perspective from Greenville: ECU will feel financial crunch next 2-3 years

>>“We’ll be in a budget recovery process for a couple of years,” Gilbert said on Thursday morning following a presentation to the ECU Board of Trustees. “You can’t go four seasons of a losing record in football at a school like East Carolina and not feel the effects of that for a couple of years.<<

Reaction Score
$40 Million subsidies are not likely long for the athletic department, so if I were the new UConn President one of the tasks I'd assign to the AD would be to complete a comparison of costs and revenue for our athletics programs versus those at other schools with which we compare ourselves.

For starters, look at numbers of sports sponsored, the numbers of administrative positions, costs for administrators salaries, coaches salaries and other expenses. Football is big but there's no reason its costs can't be segregated from all the others and use the data to compare ourselves with AAC, and Big East, members for all other sports.

Maybe we're good for the company we want to keep, but maybe there's some areas out of whack. It would be good to know if we have some imbalances and develop plans for addressing them.

Reaction Score
Some perspective from Greenville: ECU will feel financial crunch next 2-3 years

>>“We’ll be in a budget recovery process for a couple of years,” Gilbert said on Thursday morning following a presentation to the ECU Board of Trustees. “You can’t go four seasons of a losing record in football at a school like East Carolina and not feel the effects of that for a couple of years.<<

With UConn gone the AAC is toast, maybe not tomorrow or next year, but this stuff with ECU is just the beginning. Good luck with ECU absorbing production costs for their football and basketball games on ESPN+.

Reaction Score
$40 Million subsidies are not likely long for the athletic department, so if I were the new UConn President one of the tasks I'd assign to the AD would be to complete a comparison of costs and revenue for our athletics programs versus those at other schools with which we compare ourselves.

For starters, look at numbers of sports sponsored, the numbers of administrative positions, costs for administrators salaries, coaches salaries and other expenses. Football is big but there's no reason its costs can't be segregated from all the others and use the data to compare ourselves with AAC, and Big East, members for all other sports.

Maybe we're good for the company we want to keep, but maybe there's some areas out of whack. It would be good to know if we have some imbalances and develop plans for addressing them.

What’s grossly out of whack has little to do with athletics and everything to do with out of control wages and benefits under a union driven cost escalation regime. But, as is the case in Connecticut, they will cut off arms and limbs to feed the gravy train.

Reaction Score
This song pops into my head whenever an AAC school says anything.
First of all, A+

Second of all, this song makes me want to go to a college party again lol

C

Chief00

What’s grossly out of whack has little to do with athletics and everything to do with out of control wages and benefits under a union driven cost escalation regime. But, as is the case in Connecticut, they will cut off arms and limbs to feed the gravy train.
There is a lot of denial in CT about the obvious.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It is a crap storm coming for the schools left in the AAC when most of their games are behind the pay wall and recruits won't see them unless they pay to see them.

The money bubble will burst and no more huge dollars until everything settles one way or the other.

Reaction Score
I never thought this before but college sports are pretty much toast. Eventually, I’d guess within 5 years but maybe a bit longer the P5?schools will essentially turn pro and leave everyone else behind. We will basically see a few of the lesser lights fall by the wayside too. Bottom feeders in the P5. Everyone else will return to a more rational sort of 1aa/Patriot league/Ivy League model. The odd thing is that I doubt these minor league programs will be all that successful. Over time paid athletes will start being compared with the D league in hoops and the NFL in football and will be found wanting. It is the golden age of beer but the end of the line for college athletics as we know it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I never thought this before but college sports are pretty much toast. Eventually, I’d guess within 5 years but maybe a bit longer the P5?schools will essentially turn pro and leave everyone else behind. We will basically see a few of the lesser lights fall by the wayside too. Bottom feeders in the P5. Everyone else will return to a more rational sort of 1aa/Patriot league/Ivy League model. The odd thing is that I doubt these minor league programs will be all that successful. Over time paid athletes will start being compared with the D league in hoops and the NFL in football and will be found wanting. It is the golden age of beer but the end of the line for college athletics as we know it.

I've said it more than a few times in the past. Money will dry up if that happens. It is not sustainable.

Reaction Score
Back in my college days, the 60's, you could play for a team like Southern Miss or FSU and never be on TV.

One game a week was televised with eight national games a year and with five regional on specified weeks...basically a game a week.

It could be that we move back that direction somewhat. Televising fewer games than we now do...

With schools supporting production costs and folks paying for a package (like ESPN+), more individual specific viewing might take place with fewer national broadcasts.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Back in my college days, the 60's, you could play for a team like Southern Miss or FSU and never be on TV.

One game a week was televised with eight national games a year and with five regional on specified weeks...basically a game a week.

It could be that we move back that direction somewhat. Televising fewer games than we now do...

With schools supporting production costs and folks paying for a package (like ESPN+), more individual specific viewing might take place with fewer national broadcasts.
I don't think the national programs (ND obviously, 'Bama, Clemson, Auburn, LSU) nor most regular top 25 teams will go behind the paywall. The paywall will be set up for the bottom half of the SEC, and any other program who have a loyal following. Basically, ESPN+ will be akin to the old ESPN GamePlan, but for all sports.

Reaction Score
The P5 have to be very careful of government scrutiny if they get too greedy. If the schools left behind sued on antitrust grounds in a class action suit, or the government stepped in first, I think they could prove that the "pros" as you call it, willfully conspired to keep other educational institutions from getting a piece of the pie. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Yeah...willfully conspired, etc.

I don't think so...the AAU can also be accused of being a collaborative conspiracy to advantage certain institutions and lock out others.

Reaction Score
Yeah...willfully conspired, etc.

I don't think so...the AAU can also be accused of being a collaborative conspiracy to advantage certain institutions and lock out others.
Does the AAU give broadcasting rights to ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, TNT, and TBS for billions of dollars?

Husky25

Reaction Score
The P5 have to be very careful of government scrutiny if they get too greedy. If the schools left behind sued on antitrust grounds in a class action suit, or the government stepped in first, I think they could prove that the "pros" as you call it, willfully conspired to keep other educational institutions from getting a piece of the pie. Just a thought.
What do you mean by, "get too greedy?" They are not taking money from networks against the networks' collective will. The networks have agreed to pay the conferences 10s of $millions per year. Antitrust indicates monopoly. Those schools are not preventing any other group of schools from playing football, putting together a conference, or keeping those conferences to attempt to get the best possible deal for distribution.

The only thing that would shake up the status quo from my seat is if the P5 broke away from the NCAA. I think it would destroy them. I think they think that too.

I don't think the government would get involved in this part of college athletics. Too many politicians from fly-over states know where their bread is buttered. Also if the Government did find that TicketMaster was a monopoly when they controlled 90% of the countries entertainment venues, they won't find against the P5 with roughly half the FBS programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom