AD Dave on the Men's Basketball Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AD Dave on the Men's Basketball Team

Reaction Score
He has to choose his words carefully. They have no idea what is coming out of the investigation(unless they actually reported it). It would be beyond foolish to go over the top with a vote of confidence. Stating he want's to do the right thing is stating he does not think there was intentional wrongdoing on KO's part. My 2 cents.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
To bad you won't ever be mentioning National Championship and the Mental Midget in the same breath
I thought we had agreed on "Angry Carrot"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is nothing in the article or the tape to say one way or another
Those who want KO's head will read into what they want
I say let AD David Benedict decide at the end of the season and as a UConn fan I hope the team catches fire and does well
If it doesn't that's up to the guys/ladies who are paid the big bucks to decide what the future holds
KO is no dummy, he knows the score

Reaction Score
You don't fire a National Championship winning coach. Period. End of Story.

KO wouldn't be the first nor, if fired, would he be the last. It's a what have you done for me lately culture these days and no coach is safe if he can't continue to produce regardless of their past accomplishments. Being a .500 team in a less than great conference, continuing to miss the big dance and not demonstrating substantial improvement and development in the program will quickly cause the decision makers to downplay past accomplishments. AD Dave is paid to make the tough decisions and sentiment can't play a role here. The program needs to get back on track and it's his job to see that it does.

Reaction Score
I'm ignorant here, but I haven't seen him conduct many impromptu press conferences. Maybe a sign of inexperience?

It wasn’t “impromptu” - it was in conjunction/after the scheduled Press Conference introducing the new OC and OL coaches for Football. That’s why it’s in the BFFC

Reaction Score
My observation:

3 out of the 4 questions, he starts his reply with "Listen....."

The guy starts his answers with "listen..." way too much.

I heard his interview w/ Joe D before the cincy game and again, listen...., listen...., listen....

Hello, I'm can hear you and I'm listening to you just fine.

It's like he's talking down to reporter/interviewer

"Listen, I'm this and I'm that, blah, blah, blah, and my opinion/answer is the best".

Use, "look...." or something else.

Using "listen" at the beginning of every response is a great attribute of being "kind of a schmuck"

Reaction Score
My observation:

I heard his interview w/ Joe D before the cincy game and again, listen...., listen...., listen....

"Listen, I'm this and I'm that, blah, blah, blah, and my opinion/answer is the best".

Using "listen" at the beginning of every response is a great attribute of being "kind of a schmuck"

You can probably find some word or phrase like this for every person. It's not worth getting worked up about.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My observation:

Well... they're paid to interview him. You might develop an ego if lots of people hung on your every word.

Reaction Score
My observation:

I agree. When someone says "Listen" or "look" a lot I think it tends to have the opposite impact and makes the person less likely to want to hear or understand what you want to say. While not as bad as "like," "you know," or "um" or even "actually" it can be an annoying, though (more) subtle, verbal tic.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sounds to me like he's being supportive so as to totally not lose Ollie mid season. But it sounds like he's gone.
what'll it be like if we lose him completely? Does the program spontaneously burst into flames?

Reaction Score
I agree. When someone says "Listen" or "look" a lot I think it tends to have the opposite impact and makes the person less likely to want to hear or understand what you want to say. While not as bad as "like," "you know," or "um" or even "actually" it can be an annoying, though (more) subtle, verbal tic.
What I like about this is the fact that no one is over analyzing the statements.

Reaction Score
Ollie may be the coach next year. He may not. Benedict doesn’t know and so he can’t either profess support or take Ollie to task at this point.

An awful lot would have to go right from here on for Ollie to be back next season. Like a nice run in the AAC tourney AND make some noise in the NIT. Hard to see that happening unless the whole approach of the team changes substantially.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
what'll it be like if we lose him completely? Does the program spontaneously burst into flames?
Something like that:
phoenix-rising-from-the-ashes.jpg

Reaction Score
You don't have to be a world class poker player to read this presser. David articulated a few thoughts as it relates to our "predicament". Within the context of every statement a reasonably prudent person exercising an objective standard should be able to understand his true intent looking forward.

It is all right there folks....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
An awful lot would have to go right from here on for Ollie to be back next season. Like a nice run in the AAC tourney AND make some noise in the NIT. Hard to see that happening unless the whole approach of the team changes substantially.

Or nothing could go right, and AD Dave could find he is unable to fund the buyout. Or the NCAA thing could drag on and he could find that replacing Ollie would be a challenge. Or...any number of things.

I think he's being straight when he says they will look at it at the end of the year. It's not a binary situation. If the team is even marginally better, and there is no money in the pot...he is likely back. If they are horrible (losing tomorrow would be horrible) and there is money or KO can be removed for cause due to NCAA stuff, then its an easy call.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom