AD Dave on the Men's Basketball Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AD Dave on the Men's Basketball Team

Reaction Score
An awful lot would have to go right from here on for Ollie to be back next season. Like a nice run in the AAC tourney AND make some noise in the NIT. Hard to see that happening unless the whole approach of the team changes substantially.

I can see that happening a lot more easily than firing Ollie with an NCAA investigation overhead. Because if you fire him now, you're hiring an interim coach. And what's the point of that?

pj

Reaction Score
The Ollie evaluation is probably straightforward:
- NCAA violations? Then you fire him for cause, which eliminates the buyout. He's gone.
- No NCAA violations? He gets a chance with next year's roster to show he can coach with his players and his staff.

Reaction Score
Yeah but the third one is usually pretty tricky ;)
Get them while they are down! Once Uconn is back, the games will return to nail bitters that mostly go in Uconns favor just like they did until about 2015..

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I can see that happening a lot more easily than firing Ollie with an NCAA investigation overhead. Because if you fire him now, you're hiring an interim coach. And what's the point of that?

Hiring an interim coach is only feasible if you fire a head coach midseason, and that door was closed by Benedict.

Reaction Score
no Need to jump on Cincy just cuz Kobe posted. The guy is a riot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I agree. When someone says "Listen" or "look" a lot I think it tends to have the opposite impact and makes the person less likely to want to hear or understand what you want to say. While not as bad as "like," "you know," or "um" or even "actually" it can be an annoying, though (more) subtle, verbal tic.
Quite frankly...

Reaction Score
The Ollie evaluation is probably straightforward:
- NCAA violations? Then you fire him for cause, which eliminates the buyout. He's gone.
- No NCAA violations? He gets a chance with next year's roster to show he can coach with his players and his staff.

Not nearly that straightforward. There is a very good chance KO does not get next season no matter what the investigation reveals.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I know it isn't going to happen, but it would be hilarious if Ollie became the head coach of Louisville and was paired with Enoch once again.

Reaction Score
I know it isn't going to happen, but it would be hilarious if Ollie became the head coach of Louisville and was paired with Enoch once again.

I am betting Padgett has a long career at U of L

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Actually watched the interview finally. Yes, AD Dave has some serious pipes! Share your secrets with hoops team dawg. His body language when asked about Ollie and the investigation was um... in a word: unsettling

Reaction Score
Jacked, christ have you guys ever lifted a weight in your lives. Where the hell is South Tampa Bill when you need him to rebut this.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Jacked, christ have you guys ever lifted a weight in your lives. Where the hell is South Tampa Bill when you need him to rebut this.
It doesn't appear that he's a Boneyard member anymore unless he reinvented himself with a new screen name.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Imagine if Athletic Director...Dave said he was "monitoring the situation"?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
An awful lot would have to go right from here on for Ollie to be back next season. Like a nice run in the AAC tourney AND make some noise in the NIT. Hard to see that happening unless the whole approach of the team changes substantially.

This won't happen, but if they won the AAC tourney, and maybe an NCAA game, he'd be back on a performance basis.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Imagine if Athletic Director...Dave said he was "monitoring the situation"?
I dunno after listening to that press conference I didn't come away warm and fuzzy about AD David Benedict and his ability to turn around UConn athletics

Reaction Score
Firing KO will be popular with the fans, but not with the former players. The big boosters are close with the former players. The new coach will likely have little to no connection with the glory days of UConn basketball. I believe that is a good thing, because we need a great coach, but there will be an awkward disconnect.
AD David Benedict will play an instrumental role here. He not only has to fire KO, he has to take on all of the anger from the former players. He has to suck up all of the negativity surrounding this team, the potential violations and dismal conference situation. Then, when he is sacrificed and a new AD is hired, that person can be the "healer" of the program. That new AD can be the person that brings JC and the former players back home. Likely that will coincide with the return of winning. He can even put KO in the Huskies of Honor, more healing. Then we win 4 more titles in the next 20 years.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Firing KO will be popular with the fans, but not with the former players. The big boosters are close with the former players. The new coach will likely have little to no connection with the glory days of UConn basketball. I believe that is a good thing, because we need a great coach, but there will be an awkward disconnect.
AD David Benedict will play an instrumental role here. He not only has to fire KO, he has to take on all of the anger from the former players. He has to suck up all of the negativity surrounding this team, the potential violations and dismal conference situation. Then, when he is sacrificed and a new AD is hired, that person can be the "healer" of the program. That new AD can be the person that brings JC and the former players back home. Likely that will coincide with the return of winning. He can even put KO in the Huskies of Honor, more healing. Then we win 4 more titles in the next 20 years.
Maybe the big boosters are former players? We do know what Dan Orlovsky thinks. I also don't see the why you think the disconnect to the glory years is a good thing and will result in the hiring of a good basketball coach

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This will be an interesting off-season obviously.

Will the NCAA make a conclusion or will it drag on?

Will KO stay or not?

Which players will stick it out and remain on the team?

Will there be a dominoe effect?

And this is the summer that the usual Mohegan Sun Alumni-All Star game is held - or not anymore.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe the big boosters are former players?

"Not A Dime Back," remember?

Our big boosters are largely anonymous. If under the surface they're anything like their loudest representative on social media (Shmike Shmelio), we are b-o-n-e-d.

Reaction Score
AD Dave on the men's basketball team? I don't think he can help but if Ollie wants to take him then I'm willing to see if it'll work.

Reaction Score
so he's waiting for another 'unbelievable finish' to the season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom