Ackerman - Show Her The Door! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ackerman - Show Her The Door!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, Danny definitely earned it. But how long does he deserve to be invisibly punished?

Holding the refs truly accountable will never happen. The refs are more protected than the players or the coaches. There's probably good reason for it too, with how tough fans and media can be.

Having said that, I'm oddly pleased with the officiating in the Big East when you look at it in hindsight.
They call the games so tight with so many fouls, that it forced us to become even more locked in mentally on the defensive end. In the out of conference slate we have gotten an extremely favorable whistle(both teams, I don't mean unfairly favorable), and it has allowed us to play much more "bully ball" on the rebounding front, which is our main identity.

It sucks in-season with losses, and the ego's of the refs taking over the games drives me insane...but it prepares us really well for March. Eg: 3 Big East teams in Sweet Sixteen.

We will never have NBA caliber refs, so I highly doubt the issue will ever truly end.
Not sure I want NBA refs. Some are atrocious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My guess is Dave Gavitt would have never allowed this to happen. That’s called leadership. Did you see the officiating in our conference games this season? Doing “fine”?
Ackerman reminds me of Hathaway. A decent “assistant” paper pusher, schedule maker, etc. But, zero strategic thinking and leadership skills. So never elevate to lead role, be it AD or Commissioner.

My guess is Dave Gavitt also wouldn't have allowed it since he was a PC shill.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My guess is Dave Gavitt would have never allowed this to happen. That’s called leadership. Did you see the officiating in our conference games this season? Doing “fine”?
Ackerman reminds me of Hathaway. A decent “assistant” paper pusher, schedule maker, etc. But, zero strategic thinking and leadership skills. So never elevate to lead role, be it AD or Commissioner.

She's brilliant.

This thread was a bad take from the jump.

You know who never cared if players or coaches move around In conference? The SEC. You can either act like a big boy conference or you can pretend it's still 1985.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When slick Rick Pitino left Kentucky for the Celtics Kentucky immediately hired Tubby Smith away from Georgia. Was anyone in the SEC complaining about that when it happened? Did anyone who today feels offended by Georgetown hiring Cooley object back then?

This is a multi million dollar business. We can't expect a conference commissioner to enforce rules that belong on a golf course (where you are allegedly required to penalize yourself) with what each school has invested here.

As far as recruiting a kid to a school he doesn't work for yet, this also happens, although normally they do a far better job of covering their tracks. If the NCAA had any backbone (they don't) they would investigate this and dole out some punishment. They wont because....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They kicked us and the remaining football-playing schools out, don't ever forget that.
Technically, they left the conference and paid what is now the AAC for the name and history.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If no action is taken, this will be yet another example of Val Ackerman being an incompetent and powerless Commissioner. While coaching and recruiting for PC the last month there was some indirect (and that's assuming the best) contact /understanding with Georgetown. Recruiting and portal have already been impacted. They could have played each other just 10 days ago in the Big East Tournament. All kinds of crazy potential conflicts.

Ackerman is perhaps the worse sports commissioner in the country, what she has allowed to take place this year. I won’t cover today the officiating issues that get to the very heart of the integrity of the game. I have previously covered them. But, personal grudges and retribution should not be allowed to take place in any conference’s officiating. It took place in UConn games this season.

Val, is a total disaster and should be shown the door.

Val is and has been a wonderful commissioner.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Let’s try this experiment: pick someone at random getting their face and yell “you ephing clown” if they knock you on your ass, you can take solace in the fact that they “are responsible for upholding their own integrity.”

Actions have consequences. I’m not defending the refs here, I’m just embracing reality.

If he didn't want to be called an e ffing clown he shouldn't have been acting like an e ffing clown.

Reaction Score
She's brilliant.

This thread was a bad take from the jump.

You know who never cared if players or coaches move around In conference? The SEC. You can either act like a big boy conference or you can pretend it's still 1985.
How is she brilliant?

Reaction Score
Lol, please. You’ve never heard of make up calls or never had the next call not go your way after a challenge? It happens all the time. In modern basketball, in particular, there’s a foul on every single play. Refs use their judgment what to call and what not to call. There’s a whole world of wiggle room in there.

No, I completely agree that it’s been excessive with Connecticut this year, but Danny’s ephing clown comment was excessive as well. And hindsight being what it is, Ackerman probably should have publicly reprimanded him. That would’ve ended it. That said, the big east refs were excessive in the way they called Connecticut games the rest of the year. Hopefully, Benedict will press Ackerman for a review and an adjustment for next season.
There is a difference between a makeup call and going out of your way to officiate one team differently than the other

The very fact that these are judgement calls is precisely why it's important to be objective. It's especially important, now, with how popular sports betting is.

If it is at all acceptable to call a game a specific way because you don't like someone, then what's stopping them from using that excuse to influence the outcome for personal gain? That's why you can't let it happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a difference between a makeup call and going out of your way to officiate one team differently than the other

The very fact that these are judgement calls is precisely why it's important to be objective. It's especially important, now, with how popular sports betting is.

If it is at all acceptable to call a game a specific way because you don't like someone, then what's stopping them from using that excuse to influence the outcome for personal gain? That's why you can't let it happen.
There’s also a difference between complaining about a call and calling someone an ephing clown on TV. It was an unforced error that cost us during the January slide. For what it’s worth, I think Danny adjusted afterward, which is a good thing. His emotions are always going to be close to the surface. It’s just the way he’s wired. He needs to know where the line is though.

You and I agree 100% that what happened to UConn this season was excessive. Benedict should have the video staff put together film of the most egregious stuff and talk to Ackerman over the summer.

Reaction Score
The Big East and the SEC are the only two conferences with three schools still alive in the tournament.

The Big East is a strong basketball conference and that wouldn’t be possible without an equally strong commissioner. That’s what she gets paid for and the bottom line is that she’s delivered.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
She's doing great as the on-court evidence indicates. I have no problem with Cooley going to Georgetown. In fact, I think the former commissioners that protected PC were wrong.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kicking someone out or leaving and forming your own league is essentially the same thing. How could anyone argue otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom