Achonwa (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Achonwa (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think ND problem with the absence of Achonwa is not only depth , but fouls. Reimer can replace her in the lineup but can't replace the bb IQ and scoring. And she can be foul prone. If Reimer gets into foul trouble early in the semi or final, ND will be in trouble. Walz knows that , Frese knows it , and Geno knows it. Therefore , I think no matter who plays ND in semi or final , they will attack the post and eliminate any ND low post presence.

The loss of Achonwa is BIG.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tony - nice write up - appreciate it because I really hadn't studied that team options. It is impossible to replace Natalie, but one thing to remember - she did miss some games earlier in the year and while they were much easier than the FF is likely to be, the coaches and players do have that experience to fall back on.
They are also a really good team with a very strong coaching staff so do not count them out. Is it a harder ask, yes, but they are still a very dangerous team.
Interior defense is going to be the biggest problem I think, because compensating for her loss will change everyones responsibilities and the defensive sets they can run.

And ... 'Uconn has a short bench and ND has a deep bench' - that doesn't actually mean anything if the wrong player goes down or gets into foul trouble.
Tony? Did I Norm Crosby my post?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The ironic part is, ND has been touted for their "bench" all season long. I don't think having some nice players like Mabrey and Cable who can come in and shoot a few threes is the same as having a solid bench to replace a starter. This loss is huge for them, and they don't have an answer for it among their bench.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
God, I will torture the spelling of that. I better save your post as reference....lol.

UConn hasn't given up more than 68 points and that was against shot happy Oregon.

Now, a terrific ND team loses their leader and point center and they will score 80 against UConn.

yes, pusillanimously pessimistic....indeed.

Achonwa's absence will hurt ND's offensive production. ND can be devastating in transition and Achonwa's rebounding has been a key to getting them out on their break and she can beat the opponent's post players down the court. In the half court, Achonwa runs the pick and roll effectively, is a terrific passer and an effective offensive rebounder.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm not happy seeing a player get hurt but baloney on people worrying about the excuses for Notre Dame if UCONN is fortunate enough to win the NC. (Not so much here but in other threads) The only people who will remember Notre Dame's misfortune 10 years from now will be Notre dame people. Injuries are part of the game and we would already have 9 Titles if not for crippling injuries to BOTH Svet and Shea in their final year. You don't see any national media bringing that up when they review the history of Women's National Championships. We are the only ones who remember that.
It will certainly throw a damper on this years game itself as the announcers will probably be mentioning it every five minutes. Especially because of ESPN's "Battle of the "Undefeateds " hype.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This would also impact her ability to play for the Canadian National team in Turkey this summer at the World games. Very sad for a truly tough competitor. Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Yep, this is not good news for the Canadian national team.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
For sure, ND is hurt by the loss of Achonwa, but I wouldn't count them out. As others have said, their guards are terrific. In addition, Muffet has shown the ability to adapt her game plan to the circumstances. We are much bigger and more talented inside, but ND may be able to offset that to some degree by pressing the ball handlers and making it difficult for them to pass into the low post.

In any event, let's worry about the semifinal first and then about ND if that game happens.

Best wishes to Natalie. It's a terrible way for her to end her college career.

Reaction Score
I thought Louisville had a chance before she got hurt but now I think it'll be a cakewalk. (Just have to take care of business tonight)
ND is a better team than Louisville without Achonwa. A cakewalk? You're dreaming!!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I thought Louisville had a chance before she got hurt but now I think it'll be a cakewalk. (Just have to take care of business tonight)

Don't count the chickens just yet.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Whether L'ville or Md, Kayla better not get 2 early fouls again.

Reaction Score
You think that without Achonwa they can score 80 against the best defense in the country? Really?

I need a word for the opposite of overly optimistic.

No one has scored even 70 points against UCONN this year and only 4 teams scored in the 60's. They wouldn't score 80 points with her and to think that ND can score 80 without Achonwa is just not realistic.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For sure, ND is hurt by the loss of Achonwa, but I wouldn't count them out. As others have said, their guards are terrific. In addition, Muffet has shown the ability to adapt her game plan to the circumstances. We are much bigger and more talented inside, but ND may be able to offset that to some degree by pressing the ball handlers and making it difficult for them to pass into the low post.

In any event, let's worry about the semifinal first and then about ND if that game happens.

Best wishes to Natalie. It's a terrible way for her to end her college career.
Pressing with who? With no post defender, UConn would have a layup drill going.

Reaction Score
Achonwa did miss the first 3 games of the season, but only Michigan State would have been considered a decent opponent in those games (ND won by 19).

Braker can handle the passing aspect of what Achinwa gave the Irish. What she can't do is put it on the floor and take it to the hoop from the high post, which is what Achonwa has been doing a lot of in the tournament, especially early in games.

As an ND fan, I have considered UConn a bad matchup for the Irish this year due to the Huskies' size. Without Achonwa, Lloyd and McBride will have to shoot the lights out for the Irish to keep close and I just don't see that happening against UConn's D. Of course, Villanova did beat Georgetown many years ago ...

Reaction Score
I knew it live, I knew it on replay, I knew it when she walked back to the tunnel, and I knew it again when she walked back onto the court in sweatpants after the game was over.

It's too bad. I wanted them to get a shot at us at full strength, so we could silence the doubters once and for all. Now they'll have an excuse to put an asterisk on this one.

On the other hand, this feels like it evens things out from 2001, when we had the best team ever assembled and were denied a championship by not one, but two, crushing injuries.

Reaction Score
We're not really at full strength either. I mean, Tuck was one of the top players in her class, #6 behind Stewie and Jefferson. True she's not a starter, but when she was healthy she'd generally come in at the first time out and get lots of minutes. Tuck is really good. Not having her is a blow to this team, that so far has covered up her absence well.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. I can't explain how pissed off I am right now. I just wanted Notre Dame at full strength again UCONN in the final and this has to happen in the ELITE 8!?! So over ACL tears in WCBB!
Me too! Not to make light of Achonwa's tragic injury, but would have been nice to face ND in a "no excuses" showdown....

Reaction Score
Just covering the mojo bases here...

There is a little thing of two semi final games before we even go to the "wanted to play/beat them at full strength" scenario. One team, or both, may not win their semifinal game. If that happens the point is moot.

Rest assured, our coaches will be scouting tonight's game and will immediately start on a game plan for the semifinal before they even give ND a thought.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
That's malarkey about the excuses for Notre Dame . The only people who will remember Notre Dame's misfortune 10 years from now will be Notre Dame people. Injuries are part of the game and we would already have 9 Titles if not for crippling injuries to BOTH Svet and Shea in their final year. You don't see any national media bringing that up when they review the history of Women's National Championships. We are the only ones who remember that. Nevermind about asterisks. Our injuries never resulted in asterisks on anyone elses National Titles so don't worry about it.

BTW - I am in no way claiming the title for UCONN yet. We and they know they have to earn it despite ESPN claiming this is a TWO team Tournament.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Just covering the mojo bases here...

There is a little thing of two semi final games before we even go to the "wanted to play/beat them at full strength" scenario. One team, or both, may not win their semifinal game. If that happens the point is moot.

Rest assured, our coaches will be scouting tonight's game and will immediately start on a game plan for the semifinal before they even give ND a thought.

Thank you. Mojo adjustment definitely a good thing.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's going to be "Win one for the Gipper" Act II.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Pressing with who? With no post defender, UConn would have a layup drill going.

I just think it's premature to pronounce ND dead. Teams with talent - and Notre Dame has talent - are often able to adjust to the loss of a key player. One approach might be to press our ball handlers and frustrate their ability to pass into the post. Would it work? I don't know. But it's possible. I'm sure Muffet is dreaming up ways to try to cope with the loss of Achonwa.

Reaction Score
I think ND problem with the absence of Achonwa is not only depth , but fouls. Reimer can replace her in the lineup but can't replace the bb IQ and scoring. And she can be foul prone. If Reimer gets into foul trouble early in the semi or final, ND will be in trouble. Walz knows that , Frese knows it , and Geno knows it. Therefore , I think no matter who plays ND in semi or final , they will attack the post and eliminate any ND low post presence.

The loss of Achonwa is BIG.

I agree. I dislike ND so much I just wanted them to lose. Then with Muffett's comments I would have liked to see the matchup. Not anymore. If UCONN wins by a lot - we'll have to hear"that wouldn't have happened with Achonwa." If UCONN wins by a little we'll have to hear"that wouldn't have happened with Achonwa." And if they get any incompetent refs like the guy that did the ND - Baylor game or the guy that did UCONN - ND last year in ND- we'll get some phantom or touch fouls called on our bigs which will impact the game- then we'd have to hear all about Natalie Achonwa.

As I posted before - this is horrible ... I'd welcome Natalie as a CT Sun. She's a pro. But now - all this... just want to see ND lose. It will takeaway from the game by the media.

If ND were to matchup - every chance they get they might try to draw fouls on our two bigs --SD and BS - even if it means missing a few baskets. If you have lousy refs they'll make some key blown calls.

Reaction Score
With a week to prepare and their high basketball IQ, I am certain that N D will be ready to compete at a very high level. They have two AA's remaining and that should be enough to get them to the championship game.

I respect Muffet's ability to scheme a game-plan that will put us to the test. Yes they are missing their premier post but have three capable bench players. If Loyd or McBride have an A+ game and the supporting cast steps up, we are in battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom