ACC's Jim Phillips wants to avoid home and homes with G5s | The Boneyard

ACC's Jim Phillips wants to avoid home and homes with G5s

Reaction Score
I don't think it'll happen with playoffs expanding. They need to pad their stats to get into to the top 10 for a chance to be included.

Reaction Score
He's got a lot bigger problems on his hands. Right now FSU and some other athletic departments in the ACC must be losing their collective minds having to sit on the sidelines and watch the SEC and BiG take charge by gobbling up major markets and building the premier college football conferences.

Boosters, trustees and presidents at those ACC schools are no doubt getting a lot of pressure and I am sure they are sharing that with conference leadership. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the ACC, but given what the SEC and BiG are doing, the ACC, Big12 and PAC may not look a whole lot different than what the G5 looks like now when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
I don't think it'll happen with playoffs expanding. They need to pad their stats to get into to the top 10 for a chance to be included.
Well the ACC has lost a good amount of these games in recent years

Reaction Score
I can't say that I blame him. While on the surface it's good for the game when a UNC visits ECU or VPI goes to ODU, but from The ACC's Perspective it's almost entirely downside. If you win nobody cares. Lose? Yikes.

Reaction Score
It comes down to money. A lower level P5 school with mediocre attendance (many of the ACC schools) would struggle to pay large guarantees for buy games with G5 schools. The larger P5 schools with large game attendance rarely if ever visit a G5 school because they can pay big guarantees and they make so much money on each home game. Besides economics, the lower level P5 schools need the chance to win games as no school wants to have a losing record year in and year out.

Think about this. There are 24 P5 school (including 7 in the ACC) that have averaged <45k fans per game over the past 5 non-COVID seasons. A school like Virginia may have football ticket revenues of $1 million to $1.5 million per game so they can't afford to pay expensive buy games.

Finally, P5 schools (and coaches) want to have winning records and it is hard to do that against a P5 only schedule. Look at Steve Addazio's record at BC: 44-44, but 19-1 against G5 and FCS schools and 25-43 against P5 opponents.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what UConn is receiving($) from Tennessee this coming Nov. 5 in Knoxville? Thanks.

Reaction Score
Remember, we had this going for us, which is nice.

"The Big Ten also will allow games vs. Cincinnati and Connecticut, of the American Athletic Conference, to count as a Power 5 opponent, Big Ten senior associate commissioner Mark Rudner said."

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
C45DB015-AD56-4CDA-BEDD-FF1C139AFB6B.jpeg

This is good news at least

Reaction Score
View attachment 83672
This is good news at least
So WHEN we beat Duke this year we can write them off as future opponents in terms of visiting The Rent?

All kidding aside when we do become a competitive team for P5 opponents, it will be tougher to get them to come visit us.

Duke is not alone when it comes to their rationale for scheduling.

Reaction Score
With the acc not wanting to schedule non p5 schools..and the big10 adding two more schools and the sec adding two more schools plus the aac adding more teams.. it might be hard for uconn to schedule games in the future

Reaction Score
With the acc not wanting to schedule non p5 schools..and the big10 adding two more schools and the sec adding two more schools plus the aac adding more teams.. it might be hard for uconn to schedule games in the future
Time will tell. Our schedules have games on the books well into the future.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't think we'd be frozen out because of our brand, budget and location. We have several home and homes with the ACC and B1G, and one with the SEC. Surprisingly we don't have any with Big 12 teams. I'd think Kansas or WVU should be gettable.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'd be frozen out because of our brand, budget and location. We have several home and homes with the ACC and B1G, and one with the SEC. Surprisingly we don't have any with Big 12 teams. I'd think Kansas or WVU should be gettable.
I was thinking about that… we are a big brand because of basketball…but because of bad hiring in football… pre Mora…we where the laughing stock of college football the last 10 years…also I don’t know how it’s going to affect us recruiting… being so bad the last ten years. And being a independent….but having someone with Mora’s stature recruiting for us… the last I checked..there where over a hundred schools better than us… including Umass in recruiting.. we have only a few 3 star recruits

Reaction Score
This next year will be critical. UConn was here once not long ago, remember? The Huskies spit the bit and regressed instead of moving forward. Now, we all have much greater confidence in this HC and Staff compared to the Disco Red Pants era, but going backward IS still a possibility.

This topic just reminds us that there is major work to do in 2023 and there is a big mountain to climb if UConn is to get to just the next modest level ... a winning record. We have confidence, but it is not a done deal. And a lot is hanging on that next step. CFB is changing. And success is found at the junction of preparation and opportunity. Just win, baby. Games with the ACC teams will take care of themselves.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure independence I’d sustainable in the long term. I view this a bit like stepping back to rebuild so when the next opportunity comes we will be in a position to take it. Had we not screwed around for a decade, we would be in the B12 for the future. I’m hopeful we end up in the ACC where we really belong and fit well. Of course there will be the loud group who prefer traditional long term rivalries with Butler and Xavier over traditional rivalries with UNC and Duke and Syracuse and B.C. and Louisville and Pitt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom