According to the MTSU QB... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

According to the MTSU QB...

Reaction Score
It's not "insane".

No one knows if cobbling 3 or 4 games together in a tough covid environment would have been better than focusing on physical and mental development on a set schedule.

It turns out....it doesn't matter. It wasn't playing games....or physical development this team needed. It was better coaching and more talent.
"Focusing on physical and mental development" lolz. Of course it's an insane take, you're never better off as a team not playing.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter if UConn football sucks when the basketball team gets to play in a tournament at MSG? That's everything, right?

Reaction Score
One major criticism (and this goes to the entire defensive staff) is that across the board it appears that nobody on our defense knows how to close on a ball carrier while maintaining contain leverage. I don’t see how this is possible but we have had countless missed tackles (or worse, whiffed tackles) that were followed by an additional 8, 12, 20 yards gained. We’ve seen our defensive linemen make reasonably mobile QBs look like Michael Vick. We’ve seen flare outs or bubble screens turn into 25, 35, 50+ yard gains. We’ve seen ridiculously poor fundamentals when it comes to containing and tackling the ball carrier.

An additional item that I cannot see how it continues is we often are outnumbered (usually two defenders covering three WRs on one wide flank) in a standard defensive set. This is exacerbated when the opponent is aware enough to run a WR screen, where the two defenders are easily blocked by two WRs, allowing the third (who caught the ball) a huge gain. How is it that our coaching staff hasn’t learned how to defend this?
You're taught at a very young age that the baseline or sideline is your friend. Watts as an example takes very bad angles to the QB. I was hoping for big things from him.

Reaction Score
I got a question.other Tyler P, do we have any other QBs that can read defenses? Honestly asking. I say that because it just seems we lack that ability out there. We're so in a rush to beat the defense with a hurry up offense with scripted plays, it's like we have a guy that just doesn't see how to take advantage of other options down field. We're playing checkers and the opposition is playing chess
I’m curious as to why you think Tyler P can read defenses. He appears to have a ton of supporters here but I did not see an above average, or average passer - to be expected from a frosh.

I still don’t think our starting qb is on the current roster.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I’m curious as to why you think Tyler P can read defenses. He appears to have a ton of supporters here but I did not see an above average, or average passer - to be expected from a frosh.

Based on his performance (albeit a small sample) prior to his season-ending injury, I think Tyler had earned the opportunity to grow into the role. To say it another way: the QB position was his to lose.

Reaction Score
As if anyone they’ll hire will be an improvement.

UConn is no better at selecting coaches than I am at selecting the correct wine to have with dinner.

We are the gang that can’t shoot straight.
I think you’re wrong about that. Calhoun, Geno, Jim Penders, Dan Hurley, Joe Moorhead, Rob Ambrose, Rhett Lashlee, Andrew Breiner, Skip Holtz, TJ Weist, and Todd Orlando. Even Jay Paterno, Kirk Ferentz, Lou Holtz and Sam Rutigliano have coached for UConn football. We also have had a couple of great AD’s in Lew Perkins and John Toner, and I have a sense that Dave Benedict will follow them with a good hire for the next head football coach and his staff.

Reaction Score
I think you’re wrong about that. Calhoun, Geno, Jim Penders, Dan Hurley, Joe Moorhead, Rob Ambrose, Rhett Lashlee, Andrew Breiner, Skip Holtz, TJ Weist, and Todd Orlando. Even Jay Paterno, Kirk Ferentz, Lou Holtz and Sam Rutigliano have coached for UConn football. We also have had a couple of great AD’s in Lew Perkins and John Toner, and I have a sense that Dave Benedict will follow them with a good hire for the next head football coach and his staff.

Our biggest issue is that PP and Edsall 2.0 should have never been considered. PP was hired because he liked CT and the high school coaches like him and Edsall was hired because he was willing to come here for cheap. All ridiculous reasons. Diaco at least had things going for him on paper. He ended up being a terrible hire, but every program has made terrible hires. You should be able to survive one. When you don't even give yourself a chance to strike gold though its a killer

Reaction Score

That's a fair assessment. When you're losing really bad consistently nobody's safe.
I still think Tyler has way more potential out of the current crop of QBs we have though.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Does it really matter if UConn football sucks when the basketball team gets to play in a tournament at MSG? That's everything, right?
yeah the team would definitely not suck if we were still in the AAC and we'd get to play a tournament at an arena named after jeans

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom