ACC | Page 36 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wrote this on another thread, but I think it deserves to be here - at 100k +

It all started with a supreme court decision in 1984 regarding the broadcasting of college football, as controlled by the NCAA at the time for the past 35 years or so prior to 1984, and it doesn't stop until a college football post season to determine a national champion on the field of play, is established. It's going to take the entire country to get behind it, to uproot the people in charge of the college football post season adn make it happen. But the realignment, doesnt stop, only stretches out, without a clear and defined path that is the same for every 1-A program in the country to win a national championship determined on the field of play.

Television deals will only stretch out the periods of time of stability, and make the in between periods of time (which we're in right now) when broadcasting contracts are expiring/renewing....more chaotic - until a post season exists such that every program in the country has the same path to a national title.

Some 28 or so division 1-A football programs in 1985, with histories spanning decades of independance back to the origin of amercian college football, were all in conferences by 1992. Some long time conferences in the mid west and west and south, folded up shop, and new ones formed all over the place through that decade of 1990s.

On the east coast, basketball and football competed with each other for power, long before 1992, starting with the Ivy League's diminishing the importance of intercollegiate and youth/scholastic football in 1960. The Big East conference rose up in basketball out of that, among a variety of ohter basketball conferences on the east coast, and started playing football in 1991, when those independants were looking for homes. THe original 16 team superconference concept was developed in 1990, and was an east coast league.

The ACC had no trouble bringing Miami, VTech, Boston College on board in the early aughts - the two of ht emost powerful football programs in the late 1990s, and a stray dog they couldn't get rid of, becuase the Big East leadership from presidents to commissioner had their heads up their butts about what was happening in the intercollegiate landscape nationally, as basketball ruled the north east during that short period of time between the reorganization of college football and it's relationship with the NCAA from 1973 through 1990.

From 2003-2010 was a period of stability as the television contracts were in place, but the big 10, ended that with a little bit of foresight, to position themselves for the next contract renewal periodwhile still in the middle of their existing deals, by adding the entire state of Nebraska viewing population for football in 2010, and the dominoes fell from there, with the mid west and south once again scrambling and reorganizing, just like in the 1990s, and then the ACC going back to the BIg East garden for some more vegetables.

The big east, it's about time that we start being a player in the system, with an end result in mind.

Chuck Neinas is an 80 year old man, that's trying to preserve his legacy, which has been closely intertwined with everything I just discussed, his entire life.

An invitation bowl system, can, and should, exist for the college football post season to reward football programs that have done well. It should be done the right way, the way it was prior to the advent of the Bowl Alliance in 1990, and there should be a playoff for a national championship, for the best teams in the country every year.

That has got to be end result to work for. Neinas, and the old guard? don't want that, if you ask me.

"The highest level of grand strategy is conducting war with a far-sighted regard of the state of peace that will follow." B.H. Liddel Hart.

Every single one of the moves that has been made by any conference in the past 20 years, has not been made with the intent of a state of peace, which in college football, would mean STABILITY. Every move in conferences, starting with the flock of indendants into college conferences in 1990, has been a temporary thing.

Everyone and their mother recognizes that the current structure of the big east conference is one that does not lend itself to a long term stability without significant future change.

But every single one of the membership came out those meetings talking about the desire for STABILITY in the college landscape.

that stability, because of oklahoma v. NCAA in 1984, can only come from a true competitive post season based on conference champions competitng on the field of play. Granting of media rights to a conference is the only way to have temporary stability right now, talked about that a long time ago, and Neinas got the Big 12 to do it.

But it's not an end result for stability, it only prolongs the unrest.

The BCS leadership, the old guard, has no idea what's coming their way, and they will kick and scream and fight to hold on to what they've gotten because they've made millions upon millions of dollars with it, in the past 20 years.

Reaction Score
UConn''s chances of getting into ? Right now
ACC - 50pct ?
B10 - 10pct ?
Staying in NBE - 35pct ?
BE/ACC combo - 5pct ?

Reaction Score
UConn''s chances of getting into ? Right now
ACC - 50pct ?
B10 - 10pct ?
Staying in NBE - 35pct ?
BE/ACC combo - 5pct ?

Big East - 50%
ACC - 47.9 %
Big 10 - 2%
BE/ACC combo - .1% (unless you count Big East teams moving to the ACC as a combo. They won't merge. The Big East has too much crap the ACC does not want)

Reaction Score
From Brian Ethridge at Baylor 247:

Some interesting things sent to me today from the SEC source:
1. VT and NCState are the two for the SEC
2. UNC is seen as a huge pain in the ***
3. GT was asked to hold on for a little while by the big 12 sending them to the sec who said, "no."
4. GT now in waiting for Big 12
5. UVA could be in play for Big 12
6. UVA is seen as cross conference rival with VT in SEC

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

3. GT was asked to hold on for a little while by the big 12 sending them to the sec who said, "no."

In reality all this changes for the SEC's when the new contract is announced. A new contract heralds the end of expansion talk until the landscape changes. The two obvious new states for the SEC are NC and VA. Will NC State and V Tech add any national value for CBS?

The problem with expansion after this Summer is simple: the contracts are all newly minted and there's no new events or technical changes driving expansion for a few years

Reaction Score
In reality all this changes for the SEC's when the new contract is announced. A new contract heralds the end of expansion talk until the landscape changes. The two obvious new states for the SEC are NC and VA. Will NC State and V Tech add any national value for CBS?

The problem with expansion after this Summer is simple: the contracts are all newly minted and there's no new events or technical changes driving expansion for a few years
UVA to the SEC is laughable...Littlepage would be run out of town on a rail, VTech maybe....doubtful at best unless the ACC dies. UVA alumni would revolt in Notre Dame fashion...top public academic school aligned with the SEC, please

Reaction Score
Who said anything about UVA to the SEC? B12 was mentioned, and I would say that UT is a better academic school than UVA.

Reaction Score
I think the Pac 12 train wreck on the field and on the court will cause them to revisit expansion sooner than later. They need more quality programs, because the LA schools can not carry basketball (UCLA) and football (USC) by themselves. Oregon is an entertaining novelty, but even with all the millions from their TV deal the Pac 12 continues to suck and has no national following, in a large part because people in LA, San Fran and Arizona don't give a s*** about college sports because they are too busy enjoying the fact that it doesn't snow, ever.

The Pac 12 could expand at any time, because unlike the ACC or SEC, they don't need a network's permission to add teams. Oklahoma and Texas solve a lot of inventory problems that Utah and Colorado did not, and if OU and UT want to bring their little brothers along, no big deal, and they would pay for themselves immediately. It really is just a question of how much autonomy Texas needs.

"How much autonomy Texas needs" - they have their own conference with their own tier 3 network that started all the trouble, and a portion of the TV money based on appearances, not a pure equal split. They will give up all those things to go to another conference. That's why you keep hearing about expansion rumors from the Big 12 - because Texas is trying to keep together a good enough collection of teams to validate their league with the others.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"How much autonomy Texas needs" - they have their own conference with their own tier 3 network that started all the trouble, and a portion of the TV money based on appearances, not a pure equal split. They will give up all those things to go to another conference. That's why you keep hearing about expansion rumors from the Big 12 - because Texas is trying to keep together a good enough collection of teams to validate their league with the others.

Well, events on the ground have changed so Texas is not going anywhere. I do think the Pac 12's quality problem is still there, and I don't think adding BYU and Boise is out of the question for that league. BYU would have been the best basketball program in the league last year, and probably the 4th or 5th best football team. Boise would have been the first or second best football team in the league. The Pac 12 can not continue to stink it up on the court and be mediocre on the gridiron and remain nationally relevant.

Reaction Score

It is go0d entertainment watching all the speculation:

Courtesy of @TuxedoYoda - The ACC should be worried:

"The Big 12 Conference has a lot of money. The Atlantic Coast Conference should be worried. And Florida State fans should not quickly dismiss the rumors.
That is the simplest way to summarize a week spent in Kansas City. Start first with the obvious: The Big 12 has money right now that the ACC doesn’t."

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20120603/fsu03/120603010/lamar-column-big-12-money-tough-ignore

Reaction Score
Not too long ago, posters were saying the Big 12 is going to die......

Reaction Score
Who said anything about UVA to the SEC? B12 was mentioned, and I would say that UT is a better academic school than UVA.

See number 6...should have also included number 5. You would be wrong on the UT UVA comparison, #2 public university.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Not too long ago, posters were saying the Big 12 is going to die......

And now, it has a chance to live longer than this thread has.

Amazing...

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If this thread lives longer than the B12 I´ll eat a Bevo pie... (97 posts to go!)

Reaction Score
“@schadjoe: John Swofford: In the BCS room there are five power conferences”

ACC Commish wishing harder.

Reaction Score
Check this one out...(must have woke up still drunk) @AngryClemsonFan - Supposedly the ACC presidents are meeting at 10 this morning to vote on Notre Dame membership. I can't envision any reason why ND would want to be a full member equal to everyone else. I also can't envision a scenario of partial memberships that will sit well with anyone. Swofford's last stand.

Reaction Score
Check this one out...(must have woke up still drunk) @AngryClemsonFan - Supposedly the ACC presidents are meeting at 10 this morning to vote on Notre Dame membership. I can't envision any reason why ND would want to be a full member equal to everyone else. I also can't envision a scenario of partial memberships that will sit well with anyone. Swofford's last stand.

He also says the ACC is trying to add WVU.

Angry Clemson Fan@AngryClemsonFan
Also hearing that the ACC is now trying to add WVU at the 11th hour. Should have been doing this last year....

pj

Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse are two extra votes for WVU. Hard to imagine WVU abandoning the Big 12 this late - have all the agreements been signed? What penalty would they have to pay? Presumably it would include what the Big 12 paid the Big East. I don't think it could happen, unless Notre Dame made its own entry conditional on WVU. Most unlikely.

All I really know for sure is that Swofford is an idiot.

Reaction Score

I'm not even sure that being drunk would explain that. Has to be something stronger, or perhaps a mental illness of some sort. Of course I have to admit that it would be beyond funny if THAT guy ended up being correct,

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse are two extra votes for WVU. Hard to imagine WVU abandoning the Big 12 this late - have all the agreements been signed? What penalty would they have to pay? Presumably it would include what the Big 12 paid the Big East. I don't think it could happen, unless Notre Dame made its own entry conditional on WVU. Most unlikely.

All I really know for sure is that Swofford is an idiot.

Why in God's name would they want to go the ACC? Getting turned down was the best thing that ever happened to them.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why in God's name would they want to go the ACC? Getting turned down was the best thing that ever happened to them.

How true! WVU must have felt like they walked into a coal mine and hit a gold mine. Problem is that most of their fans aren't shy about telling you that, either.

Reaction Score
For comedic value only... follow this Twitter Convo from this afternoon (bottom up for timeline):

3h David South @DavidSouth1 @theDudeofWV Bell is one of afternoon radio guys in ATL. An FSU with connections Was way out in front on BB stepping down, Jimbo hire

3h David South@DavidSouth1@theDudeofWV ESPN would love to stick that fork in NBC after 2015

4h David South@DavidSouth1@theDudeofWV As you know all that matters is money. Bell reports ND would get to advise on 16th ACC team with their 1 1/2 shares of revunue

4h David South@DavidSouth1@theDudeofWV ND + 1 More would only have to jump ACC up from 17 Mil to 24 Mil, which could seem likely with crazy ND following.

4h David South@DavidSouth1@IngramSmith @theDudeofWV Reworked ACC Deal with ND as full member - worth 24 MIL per team ND gets 1 1/2 shares = 36 MIL others get 23.2 MIL

4h David South@DavidSouth1@IngramSmith @theDudeofWV Mike Bell reporting ACC offers ND full membership, 1 1/2 shares compared conference 1 so 24 mil @ ACC w/ND= 36MIL

Has the Clemson and FSU folks in an uproar.

pj

Reaction Score
Why not raise the ACC contract to $30 mn per team and give ND 2 shares for $60 mn, $27.4 mn for the other teams?

Nice to know it's so easy to outbid other conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom