ACC vs. B1G in NYC | The Boneyard

ACC vs. B1G in NYC

Reaction Score
IMG_1602.JPG

Any further intel regarding both the ACC's and the B1G's "fight" over New York? I'm watching the Yankee game right now and both have prominent ads in the stadium. They have to care about market share at the expense of the other if they are spending money on that. Here is an obligitory reminder to both parties who could help them get the upper hand.

Reaction Score
They are not going head to head so I'm not sure what the battle is... B1G comes in the week before.

Reaction Score
The battle, I think, is for general interest. Will if becomes more of a college sports town, will the ACC be more prevelent or will it be the B1G?

Reaction Score
The ACC and B1G have ads plastered over Yankee Stadium. I don't think there is a fight at all. New York will take anyone's money. Unfortunately, UConn is not necessary for either conference in NYC it appears.

Reaction Score
The ACC and B1G have ads plastered over Yankee Stadium. I don't think there is a fight at all. New York will take anyone's money. Unfortunately, UConn is not necessary for either conference in NYC it appears.

Is the ACC advertising more than they have in recent years?

Reaction Score
The ads for the ACC and the Big Ten have been at Yankee Stadium for a couple of years. It may have coincided when the Pinstripe Bowl started featuring teams from these conferences.

Reaction Score
Good points all. And I will add that yes, NYC is a pro sports town first and foremost, and that the national/international nature of the workforce means it attracts people from all over and therefore the college fan base allegiance is fractured. However, I have always found this visible presence in NYC as an indication of how important the market is to these two leagues. Adding us gives either league a leg up in the market. Not that winning NYC is the primary consideration driving conference realignment, but its definitely a factor. That is why I cling to the expectation that an invite will come. I do not buy that we are out of the P5 forever.

Hope GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Reaction Score
The only college sports played in the NYC area that seemed to make a dent with the local sports watching population were the old Big East tourney and that one week when Rutgers fb was good. With the old BE broken up and Rutgers being Rutgers college sports barely register even when the Knicks, Jets, Mets etc are having bad years. I think it's safe to say the B1G tourney being held 1 week early at MSG is not going to make the back page of the Post or Daily News.

Reaction Score
The only college sports played in the NYC area that seemed to make a dent with the local sports watching population were the old Big East tourney and that one week when Rutgers fb was good. With the old BE broken up and Rutgers being Rutgers college sports barely register even when the Knicks, Jets, Mets etc are having bad years. I think it's safe to say the B1G tourney being held 1 week early at MSG is not going to make the back page of the Post or Daily News.

The ACC tournament in Brooklyn this spring received a lot of attention in the NY papers.

Reaction Score
The ACC tournament in Brooklyn this spring received a lot of attention in the NY papers.
Did it? I don't even remember who played in the championship. Did they make the back pages?

Reaction Score
Did it? I don't even remember who played in the championship. Did they make the back pages?

Duke vs Notre Dame...18,000 attending...largest TV audience for an ACC Title game since 1998...

Beyond the 19-year ACC high, Saturday’s game delivered the largest Championship Week audience on the ESPN family of networks since the 2010 SEC Tournament final on ABC (4.1M) and the top such audience on ESPN or ESPN2 since the 2009 Big East title game (3.9M).

For the season, it ranks third in viewership behind Duke-UNC on ESPN the previous week (4.1M) and Kentucky-UNC on CBS in December (3.6M). Duke played in four of the seven most-watched games on any network.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The ACC and Big 10 have literally dismantled and feasted on everything that UConn built the foundation of its program on.

Frankly the two conference tourneys moving to NYC is an absolute slap in the face, but unfortunately no one in college athletics cares because everyone except us is on the inside of the club. Once your in you don't really see anything on the outside, or frankly care, which is unfortunate because those are the very institutions that actually have power to create change for us.

Reaction Score
Duke vs Notre Dame...18,000 attending...largest TV audience for an ACC Title game since 1998...

Beyond the 19-year ACC high, Saturday’s game delivered the largest Championship Week audience on the ESPN family of networks since the 2010 SEC Tournament final on ABC (4.1M) and the top such audience on ESPN or ESPN2 since the 2009 Big East title game (3.9M).

For the season, it ranks third in viewership behind Duke-UNC on ESPN the previous week (4.1M) and Kentucky-UNC on CBS in December (3.6M). Duke played in four of the seven most-watched games on any network.
What does that have to do with being in Brooklyn? Seems like it would have had the same rating if it was in Greensboro.

Reaction Score

I was in NYC that week and remember reading about it in the tabloids. Didn't have to dig for it. Having said that, I honestly don't remember if it was back page.

Reaction Score
UConn NY ties were most relevant to a conference like the B12
or the SEC almost like a beached.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with being in Brooklyn? Seems like it would have had the same rating if it was in Greensboro.

Well...you asked who played in final...I just gave you a full answer. Asked and answered.

And you are right about the TV ratings....Notre Dame and Duke could play in Wetumpka and draw great ratings.

Reaction Score
I remember reading somewhere that Syracuse was New York's college team. So I guess whichever conference has Syracuse has the upper hand.

Syracuse used to have an ad at Yankee Stadium with "New York's college team." The past two seasons, they had a Rutger's ad. Will be at the stadium soon for the first time this year, so I'll have to take note which college is advertising.

Reaction Score
Well...you asked who played in final...I just gave you a full answer. Asked and answered.

And you are right about the TV ratings....Notre Dame and Duke could play in Wetumpka and draw great ratings.
I didn't ask who played in the final, I just stated that I didn't even know who was playing to make the point that it didn't register in at least one college basketball's fans mind. Get UConn in the ACC and then I'll pay attention to the ACC and will definitely start watching Big Monday again.

Reaction Score
No one in the Northeast cares about college sports except for the alums of the team and the states that do not have pro teams. The south and midwest care about college teams. The west seems to be split on college and pro support.

Reaction Score
I was at the Yankee game tonight, and they had the Rutgers ad in left field. It was plain with white letters, scarlet background, and only had "RUTGERS" on the ad. Nothing about being any state's college. No Syracuse ad. Unfortunately, I also didn't see any UConn ad either.

Reaction Score
Greensboro??? Lol. Everyone was out in the fields filling the tobacco barns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom