ACC Tournament | The Boneyard

ACC Tournament

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In case anyone cares... starts Wednesday back where in belongs in Greensboro.

Went and picked up my ticket book last week. ... 109 dollars (fees included) for 14 games aint a bad deal at all. I know most want to see a Louisville-ND re-match in the finals......... I wouldnt be surprised to see a different matchup on Sunday. Actually Im pulling for a Duke-Wake Final..... but Im not counting on that to happen. :rolleyes:

Here is a link to the bracket

Pairings Set For 41st Annual ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament

ND is the favorite..... but with them being a 2 seed, they will have a bit less rest than they usually do between games. They would play Friday at 6pm..... then the semifinal #2 is 2:30pm Saturday... with the final at 2pm on Sunday.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Memphis beat Temple in overtime which means the Tulane/SMU game has meaning. The winner will play Memphis for the "right" to play UConn in round 2.

Looks like it'll be Tulane. They're up 7 late.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thanks for the information triad. I've got my television set to record all the P5 tournament games as well as the AAC tournament games. It was just a few years ago that I was excited to be watching the men's tournaments. Not anymore.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the information triad. I've got my television set to record all the P5 tournament games as well as the AAC tournament games. It was just a few years ago that I was excited to be watching the men's tournaments. Not anymore.

Not even the smaller conferences in Men's? The Small conference tournaments are the most exciting for me anyway.... both men's and womens.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
My plan to take Friday off so I could watch the ACC Quarterfinals (specifically, an expected Duke/NC State rematch) got scratched when a mandatory meeting was announced for Friday morning. Guess I'll have to record the 11 am game on Friday and watch it when I get home. Of course, if the Wolfpack Women can't get by the winner of the UNC/BC game on Thursday, the point will be moot.

I know TriadDukeFan is hoping Duke makes it all the way to the ACC Final on Sunday...but I would love for NC State to have another crack at Louisville on Saturday. In the regular season matchup, NC State didn't hit its first field goal until 5 minutes were left in the 2nd quarter and trailed 26-1 at one point...but did get within 4 points late in the 4th quarter. Our games with Louisville always tend to be tense and tight.

And speaking of Duke...I would welcome one final chance to take on Brown and Greenwell. It seems they have been in Durham for a decade!

Despite the Cards and Irish being the heavy favorites...there are some intriguing storylines around the ACCT. Will Virginia strengthen its case for an NCAAT bid...or will this be the last hurrah for JoAnn Boyle? Can UNC make some noise? Will GaTech continue its solid play down the stretch and perhaps be a surprise team in Greensboro?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not even the smaller conferences in Men's? The Small conference tournaments are the most exciting for me anyway.... both men's and womens.
I watch the Division II, III, and NAIA National Tournaments. There does not seem to be so much showboating, look at me players in those.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My plan to take Friday off so I could watch the ACC Quarterfinals (specifically, an expected Duke/NC State rematch) got scratched when a mandatory meeting was announced for Friday morning. Guess I'll have to record the 11 am game on Friday and watch it when I get home. Of course, if the Wolfpack Women can't get by the winner of the UNC/BC game on Thursday, the point will be moot.

I know TriadDukeFan is hoping Duke makes it all the way to the ACC Final on Sunday...but I would love for NC State to have another crack at Louisville on Saturday. In the regular season matchup, NC State didn't hit its first field goal until 5 minutes were left in the 2nd quarter and trailed 26-1 at one point...but did get within 4 points late in the 4th quarter. Our games with Louisville always tend to be tense and tight.

And speaking of Duke...I would welcome one final chance to take on Brown and Greenwell. It seems they have been in Durham for a decade!

Despite the Cards and Irish being the heavy favorites...there are some intriguing storylines around the ACCT. Will Virginia strengthen its case for an NCAAT bid...or will this be the last hurrah for JoAnn Boyle? Can UNC make some noise? Will GaTech continue its solid play down the stretch and perhaps be a surprise team in Greensboro?

- I think NC State does a good job of disrupting Louisville. Your forwards are rangy and athletic and clog up the middle, making it tough for Hines-Allen to maneuver.
- The UVA situation is worth bearing. While I think UVA has some excellent athletes(Toussaint, Willoughby), it does not seem to translate into consistency, particularly on offense.
- You can see Georgia Tech putting the parts together and when the incoming frosh class comes together, it could make some hay.
- And Greenwell does seem to have been at Duke as long as both Mabreys have been at Notre Dame. When she and Brown move on, it will truly be a different era there.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
In case anyone cares... starts Wednesday back where in belongs in Greensboro.

Went and picked up my ticket book last week. ... 109 dollars (fees included) for 14 games aint a bad deal at all. I know most want to see a Louisville-ND re-match in the finals.... I wouldnt be surprised to see a different matchup on Sunday. Actually Im pulling for a Duke-Wake Final..... but Im not counting on that to happen. :rolleyes:

Here is a link to the bracket

Pairings Set For 41st Annual ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament

ND is the favorite..... but with them being a 2 seed, they will have a bit less rest than they usually do between games. They would play Friday at 6pm..... then the semifinal #2 is 2:30pm Saturday... with the final at 2pm on Sunday.
I favor the ACC tournament outcome that elevates Baylor to overall #3 seed and a potential Final Four Date with Mississippi State, leaving the Louisville/Notre Dame winner for us.................................................. (being careful with what I wish for)
th

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...there are some intriguing storylines around the ACCT. Will Virginia strengthen its case for an NCAAT bid...or will this be the last hurrah for JoAnn Boyle? Can UNC make some noise? Will GaTech continue its solid play down the stretch and perhaps be a surprise team in Greensboro?
Let me see if I can help you with these questions:
1. No
2. Probably not, one more year
3. Lol!!! No, just no
4. Perhaps, they have been playing better
5. No, it will be Lou/ND

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If anyone lives in the area and is interested in attending the UNCCheat/BC, GaTech/Clemson, and or Wake/Pitt matchups..... lemme know.... I wont be using my tickets tomorrow :p

GaTech has been the biggest disappointment in the ACC.... and maybe among the Top 5 conferences. I had them as #5 in my preseason ACC poll... they had most of their players back from last year... and added Brown from Oregon State...... i expected better. I think ND would rather face UVA than face GaTech again. I plan on going to the Thursday evening session......... UVA vs GaTech..... the over/under on that might be 79 :D:eek::confused::rolleyes::oops:

-
- And Greenwell does seem to have been at Duke as long as both Mabreys have been at Notre Dame. When she and Brown move on, it will truly be a different era there.

I was thinking about that earlier.... back when I followed recruiting....... I remember Greenwell choosing between Duke and ND..... I just assumed she was going to South Bend. That was the fall of 2012 :eek:

Yes..... plenty of eyes will be moist when that super duo exits the court for the last time in a Duke Uniform....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Let me see if I can help you with these questions:
1. No
2. Probably not, one more year
3. Lol!!! No, just no
4. Perhaps, they have been playing better
5. No, it will be Lou/ND

Per #2...whether this is it for JoAnne Boyle, I'm pretty sure this is her contract year based on an article I pulled up. She got an extension after last season:
"Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season."

Unless Craig Littlepage extended that one more time before he retired, I'm thinking decision time is coming up after this season. As we've all seen, most AD's don't want to pay out any contracts in WBB (unless they have to), so when it's end-of-contract, it's time to fish or cut bait.

Here's the entirety of that article. If you know of any further news, I'm all eyes and ears.

Boyle will return as UVa women's basketball coach

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Per #2...whether this is it for JoAnne Boyle, I'm pretty sure this is her contract year based on an article I pulled up. She got an extension after last season:
"Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season."

Unless Craig Littlepage extended that one more time before he retired, I'm thinking decision time is coming up after this season. As we've all seen, most AD's don't want to payout any contracts in WBB (unless they have to), so when it's end-of-contract, it's time to fish or cut bait.

Here's the entirety of that article. If you know of any further news, I'm all eyes and ears.

Boyle will return as UVa women's basketball coach

New AD came from Georgia, which has a strong and storied WBB program. This will be her first real coaching decision. I suspect a change will be made if the Cavs don't make NCAAT...and possibly, even if they do. It is hard to believe that Virginia hasn't made the NCAAT since 2010.

Reaction Score
After moving to VA from CT 5 years ago, I've been a season ticket holder for UVA women’s basketball games for 4 years. I sure hope this is Boyle’s last season. They play good defense and terrible offense. Recruiting has been mixed - really bad the last 2 years (and next year), I assume in part due to the questionable contract status. Her lack of emotion drives me nuts. I just don’t see much progress. I think that the new AD will conclude that they’re not headed in the right direction with Boyle. My sincere hope (one that I hope to get to share with the AD) is that they go after Shea. She’s from the southeast and would bring the intensity that this program needs. Even if they make the NCAA’s, I still feel this way. The biggest plus in this scenarios possibility is that the AD has no ties to the current coaches. Plus, her mentor is Andy Landers, who, I think, is friendly with Geno.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Some great follow ups on this thread by Dillon77, LetterL and VA Husky
I am not a fan of Boyle as think she’s drastically underachieved. I know I can be a tad harsh at times over some euphemistic comments that are made so I have been trying to temper my views on her as in watching Sundays Va/WF game, the announcers were extolling what a great job Boyle is doing, blinded by her early and weak ACC schedule before faltering badly in the second half. So, I decided to cut some slack. Well thanks to Dillon, I have re-examined the UVA case:
The Good-they are 17-12, 10-6 in ACC and the #16 SoS according to Massey.
The Bad-this season was expected to bring 20 wins with her prized recruits from 2years ago. They started 8-1 in ACC and finished 2-5 and are now the 8th seed. The team is also ranked as the 17th best UVa Sports program, ahead of only terrible Football, Softball and Volleyball...this was once the Women’s flagship program...ouch
The Ugly-despite playing a tough schedule, UVa has not beaten one ranked team. Their best wins are NC St and Syracuse who have winning ACC records, that’s it. They have one recruit signed next year rated at 90, while top 100 rated girls score 93-98. So the future is not really bright.
The question is with her 7th year finishing up, she hasn’t finished better than 5th ever and that was her first year and 10th, 9th, 8th, 8th in the last 4 years. Time to move on.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
After moving to VA from CT 5 years ago, I've been a season ticket holder for UVA women’s basketball games for 4 years. I sure hope this is Boyle’s last season. They play good defense and terrible offense. Recruiting has been mixed - really bad the last 2 years (and next year), I assume in part due to the questionable contract status. Her lack of emotion drives me nuts. I just don’t see much progress. I think that the new AD will conclude that they’re not headed in the right direction with Boyle. My sincere hope (one that I hope to get to share with the AD) is that they go after Shea. She’s from the southeast and would bring the intensity that this program needs. Even if they make the NCAA’s, I still feel this way. The biggest plus in this scenarios possibility is that the AD has no ties to the current coaches. Plus, her mentor is Andy Landers, who, I think, is friendly with Geno.

VA Huskie: Thanks for the insight. Question for you: How are the training facilities for the Women's hoopsters? Are they separate or do they share with the guys? If the former, are they good? If the latter, well...Tony Bennett seems to be doing fine with what he has. I'm asking the question just to see if there are some other factors holding the UVA women's program back.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
So far in the opening round...

UNC beat Boston College, 69-64. UNC and NC State will meet for the third time this season tomorrow at 11 am.

Georgia Tech beat Clemson, 61-52. Georgia Tech will play Virginia at 6 pm on Thursday.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I have been watching these games on ESPN3 and I have to tell you I AM READY TO KILL THE ACC MARKETING TEAM FOR THEIR ANNOYING ACC conference theme song “if you want power, you’ve the wheel” freakin enough already- you’ve got 15 schools including Syracuse who have some great broadcasting schools—-PLEASE, I AM BEGGING YOU, HAVE ONE OF THEM HELP YOU...Aaaarrrggghhhh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom