ACC to hire Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as next commissioner- league wants to revisit TV deal and may need “membership change” to aid it | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC to hire Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as next commissioner- league wants to revisit TV deal and may need “membership change” to aid it

Reaction Score
Eagle Outsider is a far better board...that really is their board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True. But there are some gold nuggets, and this clown lives in CT. I'm talking about the comments which follow the articles because the articles are awful.

If You’re Arguing For Boston College To Follow UConn To The Big East, Please Log Off - BC Interruption
His core point in the article isn’t wrong. It would be insane for BCU to move to the Big East. The move to the ACC, which started the death of the old big east, also killed their basketball program, not that it didn’t already suck, and is undoubtedly tough on their Olympic sports, but you can’t give up tens of millions of dollars of revenue.

Reaction Score
His core point in the article isn’t wrong. It would be insane for BCU to move to the Big East. The move to the ACC, which started the death of the old big east, also killed their basketball program, not that it didn’t already suck, and is undoubtedly tough on their Olympic sports, but you can’t give up tens of millions of dollars of revenue.
Well, of course the core point is correct. But he's also a nut job who is obsessed with trying to bash UConn at every opportunity and thinking BC is on par with ND. Their biggest priority is hockey so it's sweat when UConn beats them.

Reaction Score
UConn has a great fit in the Big East. It is a founding member with a storied history. The priority on basketball and excellence of the conference fits. It’s good to have regional rivals and the footprint works for non revenue sports.

UConn’s initial work in Indy football is promising. Scheduling and TV contracting are both wins.

I hope UConn has a long stay in the BigEast. That said, if the ACC money becomes available you take it. It’s highly unlikely, but if you get the offer you take it.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big East needs to worry.
There is nothing to worry about. The Big East is fine.

We welcome UConn with open arms. If you get a P5 payday for football, congrats and good luck.

Reaction Score
The next round of realignment will make conferences smaller, not bigger

Reaction Score
I believe that is likely true.
Why would that make sense when the ACC is struggling to make their channel profitable? New TV markets, like NYC metro and New-Haven/Hartford, would help the bottom line. Remember, Rutgers did not get into B10 because of stellar sports.

Reaction Score
Naaa, Cincinnati, Tulane, SMU, East Carolina, Boise State and Hawaii would have a better chance of getting into the ACC before us! :(

/sarcasm

Reaction Score
Why would that make sense when the ACC is struggling to make their channel profitable? New TV markets, like NYC metro and New-Haven/Hartford, would help the bottom line. Remember, Runtgers did not get into B10 because of stellar sports.
I thought the ACCN was funded by ESPN. The ACCN and BTN are already in the NYC metro market and are forced upon subscribers who want sports channels. I don't think the addition of UConn would add more cable subscribers to that network as they are already there. The advantage for Rutgers was that New Jersey has a population three times that of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
If the P5 break loose from the NCAA...look for another look at pods for the ACC...

Having BC, Syracuse in the same division as FSU and Clemson makes little geographic sense.

There has been talk, if the Irish come in, of dividing up geographically...4 pods of four or three pods of five...rotating through other pods...

Having 16, and four pods of 4, would allow a 9th game for SEC-ACC rivalry games and leave room for OOC and room for ND to schedule Navy/USC.

Reaction Score
I thought the ACCN was funded by ESPN. The ACCN and BTN are already in the NYC metro market and are forced upon subscribers who want sports channels. I don't think the addition of UConn would add more cable subscribers to that network as they are already there. The advantage for Rutgers was that New Jersey has a population three times that of Connecticut.
Would you want to see CT become part of the Mega City in Judge Dredd? Minus Stallone.

UConn basketball has an enormous pull in NYC.

Reaction Score
Would you want to see CT become part of the Mega City in Judge Dredd? Minus Stallone.

UConn basketball has an enormous pull in NYC.
I live in NYC and I just don't hear about much about UConn basketball. The may get play on ABC Channel 7 sports report, but now Rutgers is usually the lead college team when the sport report is on, followed by St John's. They do mention UConn from time to time, but not consistently. UConn women of course own SNY. Do you live in NYC Butch or are you just hypothesizing?

Reaction Score
I live in NYC and I just don't hear about much about UConn basketball. The may get play on ABC Channel 7 sports report, but now Rutgers is usually the lead college team when the sport report is on, followed by St John's. They do mention UConn from time to time, but not consistently. UConn women of course own SNY. Do you live in NYC Butch or are you just hypothesizing?
Spent most of my life in Fairfield County and my brother lives in NYC. I've even heard UConn football score updates while at a Merchcant Marine (vs Coast Guard) football game at King's Point.

Reaction Score
I see occasional UConn gear strolling around Manhattan. I suspect most of those that attend games at the Garden are largely from Connecticut and I am sure that restaurants around there are grateful for UConn fans. I still do not think UConn will be leaving the Big East for a long, long time. I am sure that the administration concluded that there was likely no possibility of UConn joining a P5 conference and took this option for convenience and rebuild the basketball brand. I suspect that is the only possible silver lining here.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is just college football. I really do think that Uconn will be in the ACC and basket ball will play a part. The ACC will gain a market, improve regional rivalries for BC and Cuse, hurt the BE by removing a premier program. The queation is, who will the other team be?

I think it will be ND. They now realize that they don't have to have such a brutal schedule. They can scedule cupcakes like Bama does and then just win their SEC division for a clear shot at a play off game.

It's going to happen sooner than most people think or realize. That's my opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think this is just college football. I really do think that Uconn will be in the ACC and basket ball will play a part. The ACC will gain a market, improve regional rivalries for BC and Cuse, hurt the BE by removing a premier program. The queation is, who will the other team be?

I think it will be ND. They now realize that they don't have to have such a brutal schedule. They can scedule cupcakes like Bama does and then just win their SEC division for a clear shot at a play off game.

It's going to happen sooner than most people think or realize. That's my opinion.
I hope you are right. I don't see it, for a whole host of reasons that have been discussed here previously.

Reaction Score

ACC want to hurt the Big East? Does the Big East play football now?

The BE is not a competitor for the media money.

And the Irish ? We all know not to pin hopes on them joining a conference. Satan will be zipping around on ice skates if that happens.

Reaction Score
ACC want to hurt the Big East? Does the Big East play football now?

The BE is not a competitor for the media money.

And the Irish ? We all know not to pin hopes on them joining a conference. Satan will be zipping around on ice skates if that happens.

The ACC has always wanted to diminish BE basketball. It's not about competing with the BE in media, it's about grabbing a larger market share.

I'm not pinning my hopes on ND. They are the ones killing themselves with their brutal schedule every year. This year their road to a plus one game was a lot easier playing as a full member in the ACC due to Covid.

Reaction Score
The ACC has always wanted to diminish BE basketball. It's not about competing with the BE in media, it's about grabbing a larger market share.

I'm not pinning my hopes on ND. They are the ones killing themselves with their brutal schedule every year. This year their road to a plus one game was a lot easier playing as a full member in the ACC due to Covid.

Grabbing a bigger marketshare. What's that about ? What do you mean ?

The ACC is getting paid for ACCN in New York..is on ESPN in New York....

The ACC, if it expands at all, will be to increase the television media contract...to attempt to not fall further behind the SEC and Big Ten.

The "market" pays for football match ups that attract eyeballs....advertisers like those 3 million watchers a week for 11 or so individual games...

Until the paradigm shifts and big media money switches from football to basketball...and the media contract is not weighted 75-80% football...ACC expansion will be football driven.

Reaction Score
Grabbing a bigger marketshare. What's that about ? What do you mean ?

The ACC is getting paid for ACCN in New York..is on ESPN in New York....

The ACC, if it expands at all, will be to increase the television media contract...to attempt to not fall further behind the SEC and Big Ten.

The "market" pays for football match ups that attract eyeballs....advertisers like those 3 million watchers a week for 11 or so individual games...

Until the paradigm shifts and big media money switches from football to basketball...and the media contract is not weighted 75-80% football...ACC expansion will be football driven.

Uconn is a good fit for the ACC. Football drives the bus, but Uconn has a lot of assests. Uconn is followed in all of New England on the basket ball side. Uconn probably has a greater following in MA outside of Boston.

You'd be surprised how much Uconn brings to the table.

Reaction Score
Uconn is a good fit for the ACC. Football drives the bus, but Uconn has a lot of assests. Uconn is followed in all of New England on the basket ball side. Uconn probably has a greater following in MA outside of Boston.

You'd be surprised how much Uconn brings to the table.
Totally agree!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom